Am I seriously obese? 41% Body Fat

Options
I need help, or a reality check. I am so upset!

The gym I just joined (LifeTime Fitness, for anybody familiar) offers a free diagnostic with a trainer when you sign up. Since I just signed up last week, I jumped on the opportunity. For the first twenty-odd minutes, he asked me a myriad of questions—which I found out later was just a way to fill up time, because absolutely NOTHING came from these questions. What a waste of time! He did a test on the treadmill to see what my oxygen levels were, and then later said that test was crap. So far, I’m like… WTF.

Then I hopped on this scale where I put my feet on these sensors and held on to some hand sensors, and it calculated a long list of numbers (none of which he explained). He pointed to one box and said “your body fat percentage is 41%.” And that’s it. The rest of the time he tried to sell me their vitamins, training programs, and specials. I was so pissed, I don’t think I even said goodbye to him. The only thing I learned was that he thinks he looks like Vin Diesel. Seriously?

Then I got home and started thinking… 41% body fat!?? Holy. Crap. Is that possible? I have been killing myself to lose weight—I have lost more than 20 pounds (though, I admit, am plateauing) and yet I am STILL obese?

Not even overweight! Obese!

I am 5’4” and at 162 pounds. Feel free to look at my pictures (and even those are weeks outdated). Could this be true? Is it possible I am almost HALF body fat!? 41%!?? I am a size 10 and have muscles in my legs and arms. I work out every day and keep my calories at 1200, and have been doing so for four months, now. Am I just that fat?

Maybe I am just in denial. True, legitimate denial. I just can’t wrap my brain around that number. I wasn’t expecting anything in the 20s or anything… but.. 41%? Wouldn't that mean that almost 67 pounds of me is in FAT? And that everything else weighs 95 pounds? So I have literally no muscle? Maybe my math or thinking is incorrect, but somebody, seriously help me out here.

When I tried the machine on my own a week prior, it said I had 49 pounds of fat. It might have read it wrong, I'm not sure? I must have, then. He clicked away so fast I couldn't even get a chance to look at the other numbers.

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to that trainer, he obviously is just trying to sell you something. Also as far as I know, they're not supposed to sell supplements or something, that is against the practice. About the 41% body fat, I suggest that you get a second opinion using either calipers or if you have money, do the gold standard such as hydrostatic weigh-in or DEXA scan. Handheld devices are one of the least accurate methods although as the above poster said, all body fat analysis are inaccurate & they just give you estimates.

The easiest way to determine it is by looking at yourself in the mirror naked. Obviously if you think you look flabby then it could be that you have high body fat percentage.

Have you been lifting weights & eating adequate protein? Because if all you do is cardio plus inadequate protein intake, it might be possible that you're burning more muscle than fat.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    ^As Sidesteal said, all the tests vary. Those scales in particular can be extremely way off.
    Looking at your pictures, there's no way you're 41%.
    Also, not trying to be crude or anything, but keep it in mind that your breasts are made of fat; and yours aren't exactly small.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I looked at your pictures and I really doubt you are 40% body fat unless you were bed ridden for the last year.

Forget the scare tactics. My own scale insist that I am 30% body fat while my calipers give me 19%.... so those methods are very inaccurate. ( by the way me and my scale are not in talking term right now)

I would rethink eating this low calories...... but continue to work hard and forget about that trainer.

Good luck
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    ^As Sidesteal said, all the tests vary. Those scales in particular can be extremely way off.
    Looking at your pictures, there's no way you're 41%.
    Also, mot trying to be crude or anything, but keep it in mind that your breasts are made of fat; and yours aren't exactly small.

I was actually thinking of that as well-- I am a 36DDD.

In answer to a previous poster, yes I do weights. Usually around 30 pounds on machines and I've begun a strength training course. I also work on crunches, abs, planks, and push-ups (though my push-ups are laughable, as of yet).

Was he trying to sell me training sessions by showing me I was obese? I honestly don't think he was that smart.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Relax. There is no way to accurately predict body fat. There are multiple equations that factor body fat. The one that uses your BMI is notoriously high. If this was just a scale, then it is recording your body fat based on your BMI. According to the BMI formula, I am around 40% body fat and I don't look much different than you other than I'm taller and weigh a lot more, but our bodies are similar in how they carry the weight. I also use the Navy's formula which involves measurements and that one puts me around 26%. I use both formulas weekly and just look for them to decrease. I really don't pay that much attention to the numbers because I know that they aren't accurate. Just watch for a decrease in that number and don't worry about what that number actually is.
  • half_moon
    Options
    He used this thing:

InBody-Analyzer1.jpg

First I am told to weigh myself... then told that that's rubbish--- I should go by BF%. Now what, if this is rubbish as well?
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I started out at 47% body fat and that was at 206 pounds so I very much doubt that you are 41% body fat.
  • GeorgiaTina
    Options
    I agree, don't get caught up on the number or what he said. I do the same thing! It's easy to listen to someone who you think knows more than you do..

Find the weight you are comfortable with and go for it !
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all these responses to the OP. I have my body fat calculated at 67% and was thinking that didn't sound right, but it was based off my measurements, so it sounds like math. I *am* obese though, so it makes since to have a high body fat content. My son says I'm "fluffy."
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Cancel that gym membership, that guy is full of it. There is no way that at a similar height to me, and 15lbs less than me that you are 41% body fat, you look incredible! I can't wait to look like you!!

Tell them to blow their membership out their a$$es and find a gym focused on their members, not their members bank accounts!

Keep up the awesome work girl! (for real jealous of your figure!)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    He used this thing:

InBody-Analyzer1.jpg

First I am told to weigh myself... then told that that's rubbish--- I should go by BF%. Now what, if this is rubbish as well?

Body fat is not rubbish but that method is lol.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    That means if you work out the fat you would be left with 98 lbs... so unless you are 4' 5 then the guy is trying to sell you something, or just doing it wrong.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    If you're truly at 41% body fat (which may not be the case; many of the methods used to measure that are wildly inaccurate / inconsistent), then yes. I've lost over 40 pounds so far and am still considered "Morbidly Obese" by medical standards (with my current body fat percentage probably somewhere between 35 and 40 percent).
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Make sure you complain to the manager. You didn't sign up for a sales pitch, you signed up for an assessment. FOR WHICH YOU PAID as part of joining the club. That is one of the annoying facets of Lifetime: they act like the customer is there to watch commercials, not to work out. I've had classes delay their start so that some "partner" could pitch a product.
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    All bodyfat analysis tools are inaccurate to varying degrees with autopsy being the most accurate =)

Don't get caught up in that number. You have a plan (I assume) and you are working towards getting leaner and more fit, and that's all that matters.

I very much doubt you are 41%.

Awesome.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    First, that's ridiculous.
    Second, you have a gorgeous body. I want to look like that! Seriously though, you're about 10 lbs lighter than I am and I'd love to get rid of 10 lbs :p
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    TrTry putting your measurements into the military body fat % calculator on fat2fitradio.com and try again in a month or two
  • half_moon
    Options
    Here is me, about 7-8 pounds heavier than I am now:

24128580_8008.jpg

Maybe my legs or boobs upped the percentage.

What am I supposed to use then? Pay extra, on top of my gym membership, for someone ELSE to calculate it? What is a caliper? I'm just so overwhelmed right now. Really considering complaining to that stupid gym. I've enjoyed their classes so far. But I was so mad at that trainer. Maybe I just can't handle the truth.