Am I seriously obese? 41% Body Fat

Options

Replies

• half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    It looks like a device that uses bioimpedance (look it up) to estimate fat and it combines the features of a scale and a hand-held body fat calculator. Although bioimpedance is not the gold standard, your reading may actually be pretty accurate.

Buy a scale that provides a fat percentage reading. Use the reading as a baseline. Try to reduce the percentage over time.

I'm 5'2", weigh 101, and am 20% fat per my Tanita scale, although that measurement is low compared to the "military" formula for determining body fat percentage. So yes, I can believe that you could possibly be 41% fat.

Yeah, according to my research the machine used seems to be accurate. Then again they may also just be trying to sell something.

I just kind of want to crawl in a dark hole and hide there for a few hours. I probably shouldn't have even posted a topic. I'm still going to feel like *kitten*. Maybe in a few days I'll just be able to push those numbers out of my head.
  • TxAngel79
    TxAngel79 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    There is no way you are 41% body fat! That trainer is way off! He sounds like he needs a new job!
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Women with bodacious Ta Ta's get very inaccurate readings.... try some calipers!
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Not to be a *kitten*, although I am a *kitten* by my very nature, but you are quite topheavy. (DDD?!)

I bet they are skewing a lot of measures, and wondering, just how much do they weigh? I mean, if you looked at your weight, and subtracted their weight (postal scale, IDK) would that put your weight in line with a much lower body fat? Maybe get the equations for using tape measures, which last time I ran through them with my wife, they didn't use chest measurements, (not sure how that worked out, i've seen it used in other equations though, and the numbers do flux a nasty bit) and see what the BF comes up to. Seriously, when Solei Moon Frye (Punky brewster) had to get breast reduction surgery as a teen, she was 38 DD, and in that time period, each breast had to weigh over 10#, so your weight is almost spot on for nice and healthy when you factor off those 20+ pounds. ( I thought I remember her saying it was closer to 14# each, but still...)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ^As Sidesteal said, all the tests vary. Those scales in particular can be extremely way off.
    Looking at your pictures, there's no way you're 41%.
    Also, mot trying to be crude or anything, but keep it in mind that your breasts are made of fat; and yours aren't exactly small.

Agreed. You bewbs may add a little, but that sounds far too high.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I think the trainer was clueless (and useless).

To help put things in perspective check out this web page http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages. It's a visual guide with pictures of real people that shows varying body fat percentages.

Body fat percentage is a useful number to help determine how fit you are, but it's very difficult (or expensive) to get anything close to accurate numbers. There are lots of ways to get an estimate, but personally I just found that more confusing as I get numbers everywhere from 36% to 24% depending on what one I use. One of these days I'll spring for a DEXA scan (about $100 locally), but I'm not close enough to my goals to worry about it yet. Keep on working on reaching your goals and don't let it frustrate you too much.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    TrTry putting your measurements into the military body fat % calculator on fat2fitradio.com and try again in a month or two

Try putting your measurements into both of the body fat % calculators on fat2fitradio.com and compare them. They use different measurements and different formulas. The trend I've seen is that the two are usually either fairly close, or they're about 10% apart. When they're farther apart, you're probably actually about half way between the two.

As for the scale they measured you with, it uses bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA). Of the cheapers ways to get measured, it can be reasonably accurate...if properly calibrated. If you are already working out and have been for a while (particularly 3+ times a week, moderate to high intensity; what the BIA system deems "athletes"), then BIA is known to measure high due to how much "athletes" retain water in and around their muscles, their bone density, and various other factors. A good BIA tool will account for this with a setting that changes its calculation. Additionally, all BIA tools, regardless of settings, will be susceptable to errors based on your hydration levels and how sweaty or otherwise moist your hands (or in the case of BF scales, your feet) are when you take the measurement. The more moisture on the contact points, and the more hydrated you are, the higher it will read.

I highly doubt you're 41% body fat. However, it wouldn't surprise me if you measured low to mid 30s on a BIA callibrated for "athletes" (as someone else pointed out, in part due to you being...well-endowed), though if I had to guess, I'd say high 20s to low 30s. Yes, it's possible to be "skinny" and have a high body fat percentage (and for perspective, women should have around 20% BF, so 30%, while "over" isn't as bad as 30% on a guy).

That said, I wouldn't sweat the number itself that much. Treat it like all other measurements - one of the many ways to track your progress. As long as it goes the way you want it to the next time you measure (using the same method), and you remember that it's an estimation and has its limitations, then you're doing the right thing.

And "fire" your trainer (that is, don't use him again) and complain to his manager. As someone else said, he's a douche. Take from him what you found helpful (if anything) and ignore the rest and move on. Make sure your diet is in order, maybe try out some new strength stuff while you still have access to the gym (heavy, compound lifts are strangely addictive, they're at least worth a shot) and you'll probably shed the fat you do have (whatever the percentage is) in no time.
  • MMMendoza007
    MMMendoza007 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I was so pissed, I don’t think I even said goodbye to him. The only thing I learned was that he thinks he looks like Vin Diesel. Seriously?

Did he by chance have a seeing eye dog? Was he wearing dark glasses and holding a cane? You're beautiful, forget that dude.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. There is nothing in the world better than getting ahold of a good trainer. I was so fortunate to get a good one. Getting a bad one can really mess things up if you let it. This guy sounds like someone who just wants to collect his check and who listened too much to the company's video on how to sell customers extra products.
  • todonn
    todonn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you really want an accurate bodyfat reading, get either a DEXA or hydrostatic dunk tank measure. Body measurements into a "bodyfat calculator" mean nothing, calipers are inaccurate and those stupid scales are a waste of time and money. An accurate measure is useful to find your lean body mass to calculate your protein intake etc...

Ever heard of skinny fat? Build up your lean muscle. Lift heavy. Use a barbell. Heavy squats, deadlift, press...
  • MMMendoza007
    MMMendoza007 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You know, you could request a meeting with management and let them know that before you start telling all your friends and family and the public in general how unhappy you are with your experience there OR before you contact their corporate office, that you'd like someone else to work with you. Possibly they will correct the situation and retrain the dufus you got.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Do you need to pay someone else to get your body fat?

Body fat percentage is a basic marker of health and one's fitness progress. It is as, if not more, important than the gross weight number on the scale.

But if she is already working out and addressing her eating habits, what is the gain for her right now if finances are a barrier?
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I work for Lifetime (cycle instructor) and once I had a trainer put me on that thing....and it was waaaay off. I talked to my nutritionist a couple minutes later and he said that is only accurate if you have FASTED. So you'd have to go in at like 6am having not eaten or drunk anything from midnight the day before. That trainer is an *kitten*. That is not accurate!
  • lauren_gibbons
    lauren_gibbons Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hey hun, I train 6 times a week and have a personal trainer. In my gym we also have one of those machines and by curiosity I got on it one day, and my BF came to 30% where as I was at 33% when I started dieting and hitting the gym. And back then I was 60lbs heavier so there is no way I only lost 3% body fat. I spoke with my trainer and he told me not to go by that machine either as it was very inaccurate. Just continue doing what you are doing and keep that machine out of sight. Best of luck!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I know of another free test you can take were you hold onto sensors.

blue-e-meter.jpg
  • alisonlk
    alisonlk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm also a member of Life Time Fitness, and while I love the gym, I've stayed away from the "free diagnostic" due to the fact that it's rubbish. It's free for a reason - they're trying to get you to buy PT packages. Is the device they used accurate? To an extent. While I do believe that your breasts skewed the numbers, there are other factors that can affect body fat % readings - time of day, how hydrated you are, etc. Take it for what it is, but don't let it stop you from reaching your goals.
  • ozznando
    ozznando Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You dont need to be fat or look fat to have a high body fat %. I was 30 lbs overweight but did not exercise at all for years. My body fat % started out at 44% which I believe is correct. I have been exercising for 9 months now, lost 32 lbs and body fat is down to 34%. My trainer states it will take another 9 months to get the body fat down to where it needs to be. My sister is 5'4-1/2" and has always weighed 132 lbs but stopped exercising for about 6 years. She started off with a body fat % of 30 and after 9 months at the gym is down to 24.
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I would switch gyms if I were you.

They have this machine at my gym too that I just joined. They explained EVERYTHING and I haven't even gotten on it yet.

They showed us all of the numbers that we will be getting and what they mean and how our goals will be based off of that.

Find a gym that will do the same for you.

You're much more likely to go to a gym that has people you like, respect, and trust. Not some tool who tries to sell you stuff.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    No way your BF% is that high. Mine is 45% and I'm 299 lbs. So don't worry yourself to death. It's bad for you :)

FWIW I got a free assessment with my gym too and they actually HELPED me instead of giving me an hour long sales pitch. Change gyms IMO
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I believe it... I mean, look at those boobs! O.o
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    So, you recognized almost immediately the guy was full of $#*&, he wasted your time, he was only trying to sell you a bunch of worthless vitamins, he even admitted some of the tests were crap, etc., etc., but you fixated on the body fat %, as if he somehow managed to get that part right?

--P