H1N1 Shots

Options
Has anyone gotten the H1N1 shot yet or are you planning on getting it at all?

Replies

• BossyGirl
    BossyGirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Im a healthcare worker....so im for sure getting it.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    my work is planning on getting them for us, havent seen them yet, but i will get it when it arrives, just got my regular flu shot last week.....
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Funny you mention that, I just saw this video today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8riAeGh48U&feature=player_embedded

I don't ever get flu shots, don't trust them.
  • ahickman
    Options
    My 5 yr old son just got the shot so we will see how things go with that
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    employer had dates set for us to receive, then i guess they didn't arrive (shots), so now we are waitin to RS. i have gotten them for years, i drive a school bus and am exposed to it all. have not had the flu in many, many years! and this is the first year my 17 & 19 yr sons will be getting the regular flu shot, history of pneumonia for both. not taken any chances....
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    No I am NOT ! Have you checked into what this vaccine is made up of??? Before you have it or your children PLEASE check that out first!!
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    Sometimes the air we breath has worse stuff in it, then what's in these shots. What it boils down to is kids are dying from this flu...and since I have kids, I plan on getting it done.
    I'm in Canada, so I hope it comes soon!

Cindy
  • JoanneNB
    Options
    I got my flu shot last week and will be getting my H1N1.

Before getting the flu shot, I would always be sick with pneumonia, bronchitis and more... since getting the flu shot (5 years now) I have not been sick once.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    We're getting our flu shots today, and definitely getting the H1N1 vaccine when it's available. I think it's crazy to NOT get it. I was pretty much dead-set against it at first, but after more research, I'd rather take my chances with the vaccine than I would with a deadly flu pandemic.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I got my flu shot last week and will be getting my H1N1.

Before getting the flu shot, I would always be sick with pneumonia, bronchitis and more... since getting the flu shot (5 years now) I have not been sick once.

Having fibromyalgia, when I got the flu it would really take its toll on me, and I would get very sick for a long time. Since taking the flu shot, I haven't had a flu in about 4 years.
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    My family is not getting the shot. I have had way to many doctors (that do push regular vaccines) tell me it is to new and not studied enough. I homeschool my children so they are not around other children that much (right now by my choice due to this sickness). I do have a daughter that is high risk and they still told me not to do it. They said first sign of it to come in and they will get her on meds right away. Plus we are taken a lot of vitamins to help bust our immune system so that if we do get it our bodies will hopefully be able to fight it off better then if we were not taking them.

I believe that it is everyone's personal choice. If you look REALLY deep into what is in these shots you may think twice.

Have a great day and stay healthy!!! :flowerforyou:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'm not getting it. I haven't had the flu in years and I never get a flu shot. I'll take my chances.
  • klybarger
    klybarger Posts: 214
    Options
    I work for a municipality and work with the public - always get the flu shots. The shots have always been a good thing for me - can't remember the last time I've had the flu. Plan on getting the H1N1 when available.

The comment "it's too new" is interesting to me; this is the first time for this strain of flu, right?
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    If you go to the CDC website, they tell you that this is in fact "not too new". It is made exactly the same as the regular flu shot with the same amount of time. The flu shot is different every year. As far as what is in it, along with other vaccinations, the side effects from the actual illnesses are far worse than trace amounts of preservatives and other things in the shots.

Link from CDC about the H1N1 Vaccination

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/

Also, just fyi, a friend of mine homeschools her children and they both have come down with the swine flu in the past week. She also never got them vaccinated and is changing her mind. They are both in the hospital, I hope they both fully recover. When the vaccination is available I will definitely be getting this for my children.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    I dont have health insurance and cant afford it for myself, however, my son has CHP from the state so he's covered.

I really struggled w/ whether or not to get it for him...but in the end, he has asthma and that + the H1N1 can be a deadly combination. I was afraid of what was in the shots, but they tell me that it has all the same stuff that is in the regular flu shot and no one makes a big deal about that.

I cant let media hype scare me into OR out of getting it for him....I want him alive and if the shot increases his chances...I'd rather err on the side of caution and stack the odds in his favor.

Just made his appointment today as our ped just got the doses in today.
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the air we breath has worse stuff in it, then what's in these shots. What it boils down to is kids are dying from this flu...and since I have kids, I plan on getting it done.

Cindy
    I'm in Canada also, we should get it mid November, I'm also going to get the shot for myself and my 2 teenager daughters.

I was just curious what our US Neighbours were doing as the vaccine is available there already.
    I think what concerns me the most is that our children have not been exposed to this flu virus before. I have heard rumors that a version of this virus was going around in the 1980's, has anyone else heard anything to this effect. I tried to google it but couldn't find anything that confirmed this.
  • TuscanySun
    Options
    If you go to the CDC website, they tell you that this is in fact "not too new". It is made exactly the same as the regular flu shot with the same amount of time. The flu shot is different every year. As far as what is in it, along with other vaccinations, the side effects from the actual illnesses are far worse than trace amounts of preservatives and other things in the shots.

Link from CDC about the H1N1 Vaccination

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/

Also, just fyi, a friend of mine homeschools her children and they both have come down with the swine flu in the past week. She also never got them vaccinated and is changing her mind. They are both in the hospital, I hope they both fully recover. When the vaccination is available I will definitely be getting this for my children.
    Sending prayers for your friends children...I sincerely hope they get better soon.
  • quinnybear
    Options
    i'm air force, i have no choice. i have to get the regular flu MIST every year and this year we also have to get the H1N1
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not getting it, no thanks.
  • TuscanySun
    Options

Cindy
    I'm in Canada also, we should get it mid November, I'm also going to get the shot for myself and my 2 teenager daughters.

I was just curious what our US Neighbours were doing as the vaccine is available there already.
    I think what concerns me the most is that our children have not been exposed to this flu virus before. I have heard rumors that a version of this virus was going around in the 1980's, has anyone else heard anything to this effect. I tried to google it but couldn't find anything that confirmed this.
    Dateline just had a good report on this topic last night...see if you can find it online maybe? Or better yet, check out the CDC website Arienna posted...its right from the source and avoids rumor and media frenzy.