H1N1 Shots

Options

Replies

• XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I heard health canada is now talking about giving these vaccines in large shopping malls to accommodate the large crowds. I'm sure there must be a better way to get this done!

They did this in Winnipeg for the seasonal flu over a period of 3 days, apparently it was a very quick process and they are looking at doing it again, who knows maybe this is how it will be done for H1N1. It is suppose to be announced here today or early tomorrow the clinic locations.

With all due respect, the population of Winnipeg versus a Montreal or Toronto for that matter... I do not think this can be done quickly or effectively in this manner. Good lord - the language issues alone will create havoc here in Quebec..

I really want to speak with my pediatrician about it, standard line from his office is "health canada recommends getting the vaccine"... Yeah, well, I don't give two hoots about health canada.
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've never had a flu shot but I'm curious..... why would it be a bad thing to set up a clinic in a shopping mall and give the shots there? As long as they are being sterile and following proper procedure, does it matter?

My company has upwards of 2000 employees and every year offers the shots right here on campus. Not much different than the shopping mall scenario would be. Is that bad?

I'm needle phobic and as mentioned have never had a flu shot. Also never get the flu, luckily. But I'm really considering the H1N1 shot. yuk.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I live in SW Washington. The H1N1 vaccines were supposed to be here already, but they are not. My company had a clinic scheduled but ended up only giving the seasonal flu vaccine because none of the other had arrived. Now they seem to be just about out of the seasonal vaccine as well.

My elderly parents belong to Kaiser Health Plan, which had hours posted for the next few weeks to get the seasonal shot, so they figured to get one when they went for a routine appointment, but Kaiser was all out and not sure they can get more of the seasonal vaccine. My parents, both over the age of 80, called a nearby grocery store with a pharmacy, were told they had vaccine, and 20 minutes later, upon arrival, THEY were out.:grumble: They called another location, and drove there and FINALLY got their shots.

As for the H1N1 flu, it is here. I work in a location with over 700 people. There have been at least two confirmed cases that I know of. One of them was a mid-30's male, who was out of work for a week, came back one day, and is now out again. He said it really saps your energy. He has school age kids and thinks he may have got it from them. The other confirmed case in our office sits near him, so it might have gotten to him that way, also.

I am not sure how I feel about the shot. Last year, for the first time in about 10 years, I didn't get a seasonal shot, and didn't get the flu, but this year, I didn't want to take a chance,so I got my seasonal shot about 2 weeks ago. The H1N1 seems to be going after primarily kids and people under 40. Since I am 55, I am leaning toward not getting the shot. At the moment, it is a moot point, since there is no vaccine available in my area.
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options

It is true that people over over 50 I think do not need the shot because they have antibodies from a H1N1 epidemic that happened in the 1920s. H1N1 is not new...the media has just made such a huge deal about it that everyone is now freaking out :grumble:

How can we have antibodies from an epidemic that happened in the 1920s? Some of us weren't even born yet. I'm 55 and was born in 1953. Regardless, I'm not getting the vacine. I don't trust it, I don't trust the media hype and I don't trust the government that's trying to convince everyone to get it.

From what I read it was in the 70s not 1920s and more people then died from getting the vaccine then died from the swine flu.

As for my dr and the other drs. saying to not get the vaccine. That is just their opinion just as getting the vaccine is safe is other peoples opinions. I have children with sever allergies to food and it is just not safe for them. Also my local health department said that people that are allergic to feathers should not get the vaccine either.

I think that using the word crazy when referring to people not wanting to get the vaccine is not right. To each his own. I am NOT going to believe everything my government tells me. FDA comes out saying that a lot of these medications and diet pills are safe all the time and people are dying from them. I am doing what I believe is the best things for my kids right now. All I can do now is pray to God that I am doing the right thing!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

It is true that people over over 50 I think do not need the shot because they have antibodies from a H1N1 epidemic that happened in the 1920s. H1N1 is not new...the media has just made such a huge deal about it that everyone is now freaking out :grumble:

How can we have antibodies from an epidemic that happened in the 1920s? Some of us weren't even born yet. I'm 55 and was born in 1953. Regardless, I'm not getting the vacine. I don't trust it, I don't trust the media hype and I don't trust the government that's trying to convince everyone to get it.

From what I read it was in the 70s not 1920s and more people then died from getting the vaccine then died from the swine flu.

As for my dr and the other drs. saying to not get the vaccine. That is just their opinion just as getting the vaccine is safe is other peoples opinions. I have children with sever allergies to food and it is just not safe for them. Also my local health department said that people that are allergic to feathers should not get the vaccine either.

I think that using the word crazy when referring to people not wanting to get the vaccine is not right. To each his own. I am NOT going to believe everything my government tells me. FDA comes out saying that a lot of these medications and diet pills are safe all the time and people are dying from them. I am doing what I believe is the best things for my kids right now. All I can do now is pray to God that I am doing the right thing!

To clarify, there WAS an outbreak of what was referred to as "SWINE flu" in the 70's. The vaccine they came up with at the time was not particulary effective, and did produce some serious side effects in some that took the shot. From what I read, it was an offshoot of the Swine flu from the 1918 pandemic, but not exactly the same strain.
  • njjswim
    njjswim Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    202554.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

I am a health care provider and plan to get both flu and H1N1 and my kids too. The shot is safe and it sure beats getting the disease. This flu is nothing to scoff at...
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I get the flu shot because I'm a substitute teacher and when I don't get them I'm sick all the time. However, I researched the H1N1 shot and learned that the last time they were given during the last swine flu outbreak they caused neurological problems in the people that received the shot. So, now I'm scared to have my children get them. My children have respiratory problems and have asthma so I definately don't want them getting the swine flu. So -I'm torn.....
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    I work for a municipality and work with the public - always get the flu shots. The shots have always been a good thing for me - can't remember the last time I've had the flu. Plan on getting the H1N1 when available.

The comment "it's too new" is interesting to me; this is the first time for this strain of flu, right?

This is not the first time for this strain of the flu.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090430111640.htm
    its not the first H1N1 shot, either. The last one caused a woman to be paralyzed and had serious complications for others.
    I want nothing to do with this flu shot.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

To clarify, there WAS an outbreak of what was referred to as "SWINE flu" in the 70's. The vaccine they came up with at the time was not particulary effective, and did produce some serious side effects in some that took the shot. From what I read, it was an offshoot of the Swine flu from the 1918 pandemic, but not exactly the same strain.

Oh, well I didn't get the vacinne in the 70s either and I don't recall getting the flu either. :ohwell:
  • RHarter0710
    Options
    Getting the nasal mist crap they give. I'm at Beale too... lol go figure... it's not too terrible though. Kinda wish I get the shot instead. I hate that nasal mist!
  • AshleyTaylor2017
    AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am a healthcare worker and will NOT be receiving the H1N1 shot/mist. I also did not get the flu shot. It amazes me that me and one other girl in our clinic were the only ones to not receive either one and we are the only two who have not gotten sick--go figure :) If you can't give me a 100% guarentee that I am not going to get sick by getting these shots then why would I put something like that in my body. I will take my chances. :)
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I heard health canada is now talking about giving these vaccines in large shopping malls to accommodate the large crowds. I'm sure there must be a better way to get this done!

They did this in Winnipeg for the seasonal flu over a period of 3 days, apparently it was a very quick process and they are looking at doing it again, who knows maybe this is how it will be done for H1N1. It is suppose to be announced here today or early tomorrow the clinic locations.

With all due respect, the population of Winnipeg versus a Montreal or Toronto for that matter... I do not think this can be done quickly or effectively in this manner. Good lord - the language issues alone will create havoc here in Quebec..

I really want to speak with my pediatrician about it, standard line from his office is "health canada recommends getting the vaccine"... Yeah, well, I don't give two hoots about health canada.

You are right in pointing out the difference in populations and language issues for Quebec. I can only comment on what has worked in this city.

Today they listed where the "at risk" people can get their vaccinations starting Monday, The city has been divided into 12 areas with clinics being setup in shopping centres, churches, schools, University of Manitoba, and various Cultural Centres thru out these areas.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Well I'm back. Since my post on here, my son got quite ill for several days (thankfully recovering now) and they closed his school today because more than half the kids are out ill and I found out the girl he sits right next to has tested positive for H1N1. But I'm also hearing from the dr that just because its a positive on the swab test doesnt mean its Swine flu...could be any number of other flus that cause a positive read on the quick test.

My best friend is an RN and she came out today and told me knowing what she knows, if she had kids she would definately NOT allow them to be vaccinated. She said in her op. its too new and was rushed thru approval to fast to know for sure its safe.

Now I dont know what to do for my son....its so hard to separate fact from media hype either for or against it.
  • BMAJK
    BMAJK Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    the thought of NOT getting it doesn't even cross my mind. The Media does an amazing job of confusing people and making them think they can make their own decisions based on so called "websites". GROW-UP AND GET THE BLOODY SHOT
  • BMAJK
    Options
    this vaccine exists for a reason and the people who have decided this are much smarter than the general public that are indoctrinated by the media, and have obviously come to the conclusion that the benefits outweigh the side effects (if any).
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Well I'm back. Since my post on here, my son got quite ill for several days (thankfully recovering now) and they closed his school today because more than half the kids are out ill and I found out the girl he sits right next to has tested positive for H1N1. But I'm also hearing from the dr that just because its a positive on the swab test doesnt mean its Swine flu...could be any number of other flus that cause a positive read on the quick test.

My best friend is an RN and she came out today and told me knowing what she knows, if she had kids she would definately NOT allow them to be vaccinated. She said in her op. its too new and was rushed thru approval to fast to know for sure its safe.

Now I dont know what to do for my son....its so hard to separate fact from media hype either for or against it.

I hope that your son gets to feeling better! According to the CDC's website they have given all liability pardon to the makes of this vaccine. In my opinion and the opinion of medical persons that I know personally that just says a lot in how fast it was rushed and I am sorry but for what. So many people have already had it and still there is not enough for most people to even get the vaccine. If it is like the seasonal flu you will only get it once a season (do you only get the seasonal flu once a year? I have never been vaccinated and have been blessed to never have had the flu) so once you have it you have an immunity to it.

BMAJK- Like I said before to each his own. There are many other reasons people don't get vaccinated other then not wanting to get a shot. It has nothing to do with growing up. I think just the opposite that the media does a great job at getting people all worked up and believing that the government knows everything!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    this vaccine exists for a reason and the people who have decided this are much smarter than the general public that are indoctrinated by the media, and have obviously come to the conclusion that the benefits outweigh the side effects (if any).

"if any"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8riAeGh48U&feature=player_embedded

The media and the big pharmaceuticals are the ones trying to scare the public into getting the shots. No thanks, I can think for myself.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Well, I am grown up and I'm not getting "THE BLOODY SHOT". Like I said in another post, I don't trust the vacine, I don't trust the media and I certainly don't trust the government who's trying to convince everyone else that they know what's best for us and that we should take the vacine. Quite frankly I'm more concerned about getting hit by some driver while I'm crossing a street than about getting the flu. The last time I had the flu was before my son was born. He's now 23 years old. I've never gotten a flu shot and I'm not getting one now. If anyone wants to get the vacine, then get it and leave the rest of us the heck alone!

That is all.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    ok here's my take.. AFter my son was diagnosed with H1N1 his pediatrician asked a series of questions. After answering those questions she did not prescribed tamaflu because my son nor anyone in my household are considered "at risk". These questions asked if anyone had asthma or diabetes or a "compromised immune system", NO. Anyone in the house under teh age of 2...NO. Anyone pregnant? NO. She said these are the people most at risk of having major complications. My cousin is a prime example, lifelong asthmatic and she ended up in the hospital with pnemonia which turned out to be respiratory complications of H1N1 and she is ok.

Dr. did not recommend nasal vaccination, as for most people to gain immunity they will have to take two doses several weeks apart. She did recommend vaccination in shot form if we chose.

Stated the CDC has pushed the media to tell the bad that can happen so that more people will worry and hopefully try to educate their family on HOW TO PREVENT this flu.

this flu is so contagious because of how it presents and that is why PREVENTION is so important. My son woke up on a Monday with a sore throat, it is his allergy season and since NO fever we sent him to school. He came home from school at 3pm with a barky cough and a fever of 100. If your children have ever had croup that is EXACTLY what the cough sounds like. Took him to pediatrician Tues to confirm croup, did rapid flu test and wala. He had a fever until thursday midday and was fine by Friday, didn't return to school until the following monday to allow 24 hours with no fever. He had a very mild attack of diahrea on Wednesday and other than the cough it was a very normal flu cycle.

No one else in our family got sick because we made him wear a mask until his cough was gone and we washed and sanitized our hands like crazy and used sanitizing wipes on all surfaces. The mask worked great for him. If your kids are in or your family has a member in the "at risk" group then you should probably consider getting everyone vaccinated if not, start preventing!

:heart:
  • BMAJK
    Options

"if any"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8riAeGh48U&feature=player_embedded

The media and the big pharmaceuticals are the ones trying to scare the public into getting the shots. No thanks, I can think for myself.

I'm sorry but the fact that I was directed to Youtube proves my point. I guess we all just do what we think is best.