H1N1 Shots

Options

Replies

• Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    Thank you, they both are having severe dehydration and breathing issues. They are only 2 and 5. :cry: My children are 5 and 6, I can't even imagine what she is going through right now.
  • GreenEyedMonster
    Options
    i'm air force, i have no choice. i have to get the regular flu MIST every year and this year we also have to get the H1N1

Air Force too. There's been a delay here at Beale apparently. Think it's too late for me anwyay. Sick as hell. I'm a goner for sure. Pity me. :sick: :laugh:
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    We (me, DH, two daughters 6 and 3) always get the regular seasonal flu shots, and we've never had the flu (knocking on wood). I'm still undecided on the H1N1 vaccine. I've heard from two different health care professionals NOT to get it. I'm going to check with my kids' pediatrician this week to see what he thinks.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    In Canada the h1N1 vaccine will be available sometime in November, as a result, health canada deferred the regular flu shot to JANUARY!! Hello, really?
    Anyway - I have no interest in getting the H1N1 vaccine for me or my girls. My husband has no choice as he will be traveling A LOT and it will be in his best interest.
    We usually do get the regular flu shot.
    I'm trying to get my pediatrician's advice, but his office's official line is "Health Canada recommends getting the H1N1 vaccine..."
  • quinnybear
    Options
    i'm air force, i have no choice. i have to get the regular flu MIST every year and this year we also have to get the H1N1

Air Force too. There's been a delay here at Beale apparently. Think it's too late for me anwyay. Sick as hell. I'm a goner for sure. Pity me. :sick: :laugh:

i'm at beale too... i get mine first week of november
  • GreenEyedMonster
    Options
    i'm at beale too... i get mine first week of november

I gotta get my TB test checked today so I'll have to bug immunizations about it. Last noticed i remember seeing said they were delayed. Maybe it was Nov.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

Nooo, you're not a goner. You'll come out on the other end tougher than ever. :tongue:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    In Canada the h1N1 vaccine will be available sometime in November, as a result, health canada deferred the regular flu shot to JANUARY!! Hello, really?

I got my regular flu shot today as did my daughter...and an office full of people. lol Today was the 3rd flu shot clinic my doctor has held this month.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options

Because right now it is thought that H1N1 is overcrowding the seasonal flu. Of those people who have been swabbed and positive for flu (and those are only the ones who are really sick; doctors won't test anybody with mild symptoms) the vast majority are positive for H1N1.

The flu season is usually not considered over until the end of April; so getting your shot in January will still protect you from seasonal flu.

I wish we had the vaccine sooner; there are so many people sick it's unbelievable. But it's better to have it fully tested even if it takes a little longer.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I heard health canada is now talking about giving these vaccines in large shopping malls to accommodate the large crowds. I'm sure there must be a better way to get this done!
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    I got mine a couple weeks ago. Regular flu shot, that is.

We're supposed to be having a preparedness drill for H1N1 at our fire station (I'm a volunteer) so I may / may not get the H1N1 vaccine. All depends on if they can get a hold of it.

It all depends on your immunity, I suppose. I don't have any serious risk factors, but with running with the fire company to some EMS calls, I keep myself up to date on vaccinations, including the flu shot. I did during my college years, as well, with all the germs and nonsense in dorms. The year I gambled with the flu shot was the year I missed a week of work thanks to the flu.
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I've decided to go ahead and get the H1N1 shots for myself and my 2 daughters. My friend had her daughter at the Peds Office yesterday and asked the Doctor what he was recommending to his patients. He told her it was a smart move to get the shots, he was having his own children vaccinated as soon as it was available. He also told her there had been 48 reported peds deaths in the US in the past two weeks, that is very scary. I personally would want to get the shots (thus trying to protect my children) than regret not doing so later. From what I've heard the shot gives you 90% protection from the virus. It is really a hard call for parents.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I work for a municipality and work with the public - always get the flu shots. The shots have always been a good thing for me - can't remember the last time I've had the flu. Plan on getting the H1N1 when available.

The comment "it's too new" is interesting to me; this is the first time for this strain of flu, right?

This is not the first time for this strain of the flu.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090430111640.htm
  • pitapocket
    Options
    I work for a municipality and work with the public - always get the flu shots. The shots have always been a good thing for me - can't remember the last time I've had the flu. Plan on getting the H1N1 when available.

The comment "it's too new" is interesting to me; this is the first time for this strain of flu, right?

This is not the first time for this strain of the flu.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090430111640.htm
    I've heard that people over the age of 65 may have been exposed to this virus in the past, but it is hard to tell what is fact and what are rumors.
  • pitapocket
    Options
    I heard health canada is now talking about giving these vaccines in large shopping malls to accommodate the large crowds. I'm sure there must be a better way to get this done!

They did this in Winnipeg for the seasonal flu over a period of 3 days, apparently it was a very quick process and they are looking at doing it again, who knows maybe this is how it will be done for H1N1. It is suppose to be announced here today or early tomorrow the clinic locations.
  • haley4tn
    haley4tn Posts: 130
    Options
    My husbands company offers free flu shots every year, he has always gotten them but me and the kids never did. This year was different we all received the flu shot this year.

Also his company did a study for the H1N1 flu, 86% said they would be affected with lost work because of spouse or children sick. They are now going to offer the H1N1 shot to us for free as well.

While everyone has there option as if it is safe or not, as a parent of young children I am not taking a gamble on there health. :flowerforyou:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Why would a health care professional tell someone to NOT get the vaccine? That is just ludicrous. Unless you have Guillan Barre or are allergic to eggs, there is little risk for getting the shot. You do not get the flu from getting a flu shot, and this H1N1 vaccine is made the exact same way as all the other flu shots (just with different strains). The viruses are dead, and they cannot come back to life in your body. If anything, you might feel a little down because of an immune system response to a foreign particle in the body, which is a good thing and ensures that you won't get the swine flu this year. I know this because I am in medical school and we just learned about this in class.

It is true that people over over 50 I think do not need the shot because they have antibodies from a H1N1 epidemic that happened in the 1920s. H1N1 is not new...the media has just made such a huge deal about it that everyone is now freaking out :grumble:

I am definitely getting the shot...I'm not banking on herd immunity and I don't want to get really sick or die just because I didn't get the shot. Someone in my class has already had it and he was out of class for a week (which is like being out for a month in my class). Please people....get the shot! :smile:
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Just got home from the pediatrician's office... My three year old got her seasonal flu shot. Her doctor is trying to get H1N1, but it's in such short supply, it's almost impossible to get. He recommends the H1N1 vaccine for both of our kids (3 and 6). My 6 year old can get the H1N1 vaccine at school, I just have to sign the consent form by tomorrow. I'm still unsure, but I'm leaning toward having them both get it. I'm feeling more confident about it's safety and effectiveness.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I've heard that people over the age of 65 may have been exposed to this virus in the past, but it is hard to tell what is fact and what are rumors.

?????? I'm confused as to what you are saying. It clearly states fact and leaves no question of "rumors."

"Juergen A. Richt, Regents Distinguished Professor of Diagnostic Medicine and Pathobiology at K-State's College of Veterinary Medicine, studied the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic with colleagues from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, U.S. Department of Agriculture and Mount Sinai School of Medicine.

Their research supports the hypothesis that the 1918 pandemic influenza virus and the virus causing the swine flu were the same. Richt said the virus was able to infect and replicate in swine and cause mild respiratory disease. The 1918 virus spread through the pig population, adapted to the swine and resulted in the current lineage of the H1N1 swine influenza viruses. The researchers' study is published in the May 2009 Journal of Virology."
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

It is true that people over over 50 I think do not need the shot because they have antibodies from a H1N1 epidemic that happened in the 1920s. H1N1 is not new...the media has just made such a huge deal about it that everyone is now freaking out :grumble:

How can we have antibodies from an epidemic that happened in the 1920s? Some of us weren't even born yet. I'm 55 and was born in 1953. Regardless, I'm not getting the vacine. I don't trust it, I don't trust the media hype and I don't trust the government that's trying to convince everyone to get it.