How do you motivate yourself for early AM workouts?

Options
kirdyq
kirdyq Posts: 165 Member
I never seem in the mood to exercise at night, but struggle to wake up at 5am to get it done for 30 min before work. Any ideas to get myself out of that bed an moving? I just feel like maybe I need to do it in the morning - the whole "do it in the morning or it won't get done" mentality.

Replies

• StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I've been slowly moving my workout time up. Typically I set my alarm for 5, turn on the light so I'm "AWAKE" and will kind of float around the house for a bit, usually not working out until 6, but every day I'm inching the workout closer to 5.
  • kirdyq
    Options
    It is so darn hard. And if I don't start getting ready for work by 5:45 at the latest, then I'll be late for work. So I need to get up and get a move on, but I just hit the snooze again and don't do anything!
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I get such a good feeling from working out and if I don't do it in the morning, more often than not, as you said, it won't get done. So that's my motivation - the awesome feeling exercise gives me and that carries me through my day. I go to sleep at night looking forward to that feeling when I wake up.

You might want to try giving yourself some type of treat or incentive. Just something really simple. I LOVE waking up & having my coffee so I kind of just jump out of bed to get my coffee & once I have it, I start thinking, "workout, feel good, start you day off right, etc." Or maybe something as silly as a planned breakfast or having to throw in a load of laundry before getting in the shower. It's all in the mind. You just have to find what works for you. Be creative with it & individualize it. Best of luck to you.
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Just posted this on another forum:

Just changed my exercise routine to mornings because of advice from my RD. She says that if you work out on an empty stomach in the morning, then the exercise burns fat because that's the only fuel readily available. If you workout during the day or evening, it will burn sugar for fuel. Do what's right for you.
  • kirdyq
    Options
    Thanks, I am HOPING if I can ever drag my booty out of bed that I will eventually come to like exercising, and it will be something to look foward to, as you mention. I wonder how many weeks it takes to get to that point...I guess until then it is just sheer determination.
  • emileesgram
    emileesgram Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I hate the mornings I am a night owl but twice a week I drag myself out of bed to go to the gym before work. You learn to appreciate the mornings slowly...then it is so worth it to start the day with your workout done! I haven't missed a day in over 6 months there were many days I just wanted to stay in bed but you just have to do it, simple as that :). Good luck
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I am HOPING if I can ever drag my booty out of bed that I will eventually come to like exercising, and it will be something to look foward to, as you mention. I wonder how many weeks it takes to get to that point...I guess until then it is just sheer determination.

I hope you soon come to enjoy it too. It is sheer determination in the beginning, even if you do enjoy it as much I always have. Creating, and sticking to new habits is never easy, especially if all our lives we've done the exact opposite. Stick with it and over time your body will feel so much better that you will notice the difference if you don't do it. It took me about 2-3 months at 60 mins 5 days a week. I really, really had to disipline myself. Now I'm at 60 mins 3 days a week and 90 mins 3 days a week with just 1 day off. And I love, love, love it.
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Just focus on your goal, and do what you need to do to get there. If 5am is the only time you can consistently work out, then you HAVE to get up early! ;) I switched from an after-work to a before-work routine, and it was definitely hard at first, but now I'm totally used to it. Good luck!
  • imanole
    imanole Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I never seem in the mood to exercise at night, but struggle to wake up at 5am to get it done for 30 min before work. Any ideas to get myself out of that bed an moving? I just feel like maybe I need to do it in the morning - the whole "do it in the morning or it won't get done" mentality.

I get up between 4-430 every morning.
    Step 1: Don't stay up till 11pm! Get to bed at a reasonable hour.
    Step 2: Get out of your bed. Sounds silly, but once I start moving I'm good to go.
    Step 3: Get a great pre-workout shake or some form of caffeine.

Mine is a little different because I go to the gym and workout for 2 hours, but that should be a good start. Once you do it for a few days, your body will get accustomed to waking up early. And it will take the days when you sleep in as a "treat".

My 2 cents.
  • kirdyq
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! :) It is motivating just to hear comments from others!!
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options

Step 2: Get out of your bed. Sounds silly, but once I start moving I'm good to go.

Mine is a little different because I go to the gym and workout for 2 hours, but that should be a good start. Once you do it for a few days, your body will get accustomed to waking up early. And it will take the days when you sleep in as a "treat".

My 2 cents.

Adding my 2 cents to Imanole to make 4 :wink:

At the gym at 4am for an hour an a half workout M/F and 7am (when the open) Sat & Sun. But like an old lady, I'm in bed at 9:30 weekdays and by mignight on the weekends. Hate working out after work but will occassional go at night with my daughter in addition to the morning (she'd rather go at night).

Bed early, a little caffine, clothes ready the night before... and that goal in your head. That will motivate you.
  • kirdyq
    Options
    Haha! I'm glad I'm not the only "old lady!" I am usually going to bed right at 10. And I usually struggle to make it to 11 on weekends! I don't know how I ever used to stay up late! When I don't get enough sleep I usually end up getting sick.
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am uber *****y if I do not work out in the morning.... so that is good motivation :D
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    i have this mental picture of what i would like my body to look like & one that i dont want it to look like. either one gets my butt out of bed.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    My motivation is simply that I know if I don't do it when I get up, it's not going to get done, and that's not acceptable. That's it.
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4am, I set my alarm on my phone with an uber annoying ringtone and place it far away from my bed so I have to get up to turn it off... Well then all it takes it some willpower, workout clothes on and start working out before your brain catches up and tells you to crawl back to bed lol. Its so hard though. :laugh:
  • _beautiful_disaster_
    Options
    bump
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

My 2 cents.

Adding my 2 cents to Imanole to make 4 :wink:

At the gym at 4am for an hour an a half workout M/F and 7am (when the open) Sat & Sun. But like an old lady, I'm in bed at 9:30 weekdays and by mignight on the weekends. Hate working out after work but will occassional go at night with my daughter in addition to the morning (she'd rather go at night).

Bed early, a little caffine, clothes ready the night before... and that goal in your head. That will motivate you.

Agreed! I get up at 3 am to get 60-75 minutes in before I have to get ready for work. Yes, I have to go to bed at 9 but it's only 3-4 nights per week (I work out at whatever time on my days off to give me 5-6 days for the week) I just feel so much better getting it over with in the morning, knowing when I get home from work the only thing I have to do is serve dinner! (which I pre-make as much as I can so not much time spent on it) then the other 2 hrs I have for the evening can be spent with my kids or whatever I want to do.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

I have the same exact problem!! it is ridiculous. Not a morning person and too tired in the evenings with kids and cooking and whatnot. Mornings are my best bet, but cant seem to manage them. But like all these posters have said YOu HAVE to get it done. Im hoping sometime in the near future morning workouts will be routine for me and I will finally see my goal weight in arms reach. Good Luck OP with AM workouts!! You can do it :wink:
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning person and I love sleep, so I go to bed early to guarantee 8 hours (or more).