Jillian's 30 Day Shred

Options

Replies

• NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Did the shred this AM.. Wow I hate working out in the morning; it was alot harder than when I did it at night. 20 mins is what kept me going. Cardio after work!
  • Mande_G
    Mande_G Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Level one day 4 DONE!

Alarm woke me up out of a nightmare this morning, and it took a few extra minutes to get motivated to exercise -- a part of me was really resisting this morning, not wanting to do it -- but I pressed the play button and got my butt in gear anyway, and I'm so glad I did!

Knees were a little sore this morning, mostly during jumping jacks. Didn't seem to have a lot of strength for the push-ups, but I pushed through as best I could. Cardio seems to be getting a little easier -- I'm able to get through more and more without having to modify and walk in place.

Wasn't queasy AT ALL after the workout today, but I was really cotton-mouthy, though I drank about 16oz beforehand, and I've been averaging about 10 cups of water per day. Working on getting another liter in me right now before I shower.

Each day I'm seeing improvement in my strength and stamina from the day before -- it's really encouraging. I'm noticing I have a lot more energy during the day as well (in part, I'm sure, to my cleaner, more efficient diet and higher water intake). Yesterday at work, around 4 pm, I was getting really antsy and all I wanted to do was jog or do push-ups or butt kicks or ANYTHING but sit sit sit!! You know change is happening when exercise begins to look better than sitting on your butt! :happy:

Time to get ready for work. Have a great day, everyone!
  • mroper
    mroper Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Go Mendy,,, good job.

Thank you so much CasperO! And WTG Fit_in_2010 I am right there with you and the knee pain. But I must say the energy and stamina and just all around feeling makes up for all of that. And maybe after we have done this a while and our bodies adjust and we lose some fat and gain muscle, we wont have the knee pain anymore.
  • mroper
    Options
    Just wanted to share a site I found where you can check to see how much water you should be drinking per day. I was shocked. I just thought I was drinking enough!!!

http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm
  • supermom1114
    Options
    Just wanted to say Way To Go Everyone!!! Its awesome to see everyone seeing improvements and staying motivated for the workout!

If ya'll are having sore knees or ankles ice them for 10-15 minutes then take the ice off for 15 min then put it back on for 10-15 min n then take it back off...Don't just sit with ice on your joints for an hour straight, that'll cause more problems than it solves. If your muscles are sore, fill a bathtub with cool water, through some extra ice in and sit in it for 10-15 minutes, then take a warm shower or refill the bathtub with warm water and soak for 10-15min. Hope that helps someone out!

I did Day 9 Level 1 this morning, felt great! I also did a 2 mile run for the couch to 5k program, and my wii games, fun stuff! I'm feeling great. I'm going to try on some clothes today after I get my hair cut to see if I'm in a smaller size yet, plus it always motivates me more seeing how close I'm getting to the next size. I hope everyone has a great day!!!
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Hey Everybody!!
    We have a beautiful Wednesday here in College Station,Tx , after 2 "drizerable" days, cold, foggy and rainy! Sitting here at lunch munching on carrots and hummus reading through all the posts - so many new faces!! How cool is that!!
    To the newcomers - push through the aches, pains it's worth it. I love Supermom's tip of ice/soak, it will help you. Also, don't work out on carpet or a rug if you can possibly avoid it. This can also cause pain in knees/joints. I work out on tile and use a extra thick yoga mat for the push ups (and those rock star jumps sometimes, LOL!) I also had to start paying attention to my form and this made a big difference in the aches and pains.
    Ended up doing TJ last night - i felt like kickboxing and good music so i rocked it out. Shred level 3 day 8 on for me tonight plus something else. Probably FIRM Hardcore Fusion (Cardio/Resistance w/o w/ weights) I haven't done that in over a month and It was one of my fav's. Be interesting to see if my endurance has changed as a result of shred.

Hope all are having a fantastic day and I'll check back later,
    Janet :heart:
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Level 3 day 7 done. It feels GREAT to have stuck with it this far.

Casper0- thank you for validating the thigh issue. I decided to "get over it" when I realized, so what if my thighs got bigger, they're firmer, less flabby, and overall, everything looks quite a bit better. :)

Positives:
    1. I figured out what was making those scissor crunches so hard - I didn't have my legs raised high enough. I took a closer look at Natalie today and realized, she had them low, but not THAT low. They were still hard, but tolerable.
    2. Same with traveling pushups - realized I wasn't giving myself enough space to do them in - rearranged my mat today and found them much better.
    3. I was able to use 5 lb weights during all stretches of shadow boxing, butt kicks and jumping jacks! (Up from 3 lb-ers). Woo-hooooo!!!

Really wondering what I'm going to do after "completing" shred....
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Just finished level one day two...and I think i'm going to have to rest a day. My legs began giving me trouble in the middle of the session, its like a sharp, light pain in my shin/next to muscle on the front/side of the shin. I dont know whether its the bone or muscle, but my muscles are pretty tight. I've been aching all day and I'm sure tomorrow my body will be screaming anymore. Is it okay to take a day or so break? Will the aches go away? Also, since I'm pretty well endowed, my breasts bounce alot and the muscles that connect my pecs to my shoulders are pulled pretty bad because of it..is that okay or should I try binding them? The bra's not doing anything of worth. I also cant for the life of me do pushups at all, even modified...and its REALLY not helping those sore pec/shoulder muscles! Any advice?

Despite the pain and acheyness, I did notice that I could do the workout much easier the next day, though i still had issues in all the same places...especially bycicle crunches. I have no idea how they do that so smoothly! I noticed that it was easier for me to push through the discomfort and I tired out at much later times than last night. And BOY did a shower and home cooked dinner feel GREAT after that! Yay!
  • supermom1114
    Options
    Just finished level one day two...and I think i'm going to have to rest a day. My legs began giving me trouble in the middle of the session, its like a sharp, light pain in my shin/next to muscle on the front/side of the shin. I dont know whether its the bone or muscle, but my muscles are pretty tight. I've been aching all day and I'm sure tomorrow my body will be screaming anymore. Is it okay to take a day or so break? Will the aches go away? Also, since I'm pretty well endowed, my breasts bounce alot and the muscles that connect my pecs to my shoulders are pulled pretty bad because of it..is that okay or should I try binding them? The bra's not doing anything of worth. I also cant for the life of me do pushups at all, even modified...and its REALLY not helping those sore pec/shoulder muscles! Any advice?

Despite the pain and acheyness, I did notice that I could do the workout much easier the next day, though i still had issues in all the same places...especially bycicle crunches. I have no idea how they do that so smoothly! I noticed that it was easier for me to push through the discomfort and I tired out at much later times than last night. And BOY did a shower and home cooked dinner feel GREAT after that! Yay!

I would definitely get a better bra. The soreness your feeling may not be the muscles but the actual connective tissue that holds up your boobs.. you dont want to get saggy from working out, so strap those puppies down and keep em in place lol. As far as your shins, if this is the first high impact/intensity work out you've ever done or done in a long time it could be either bone or muscle and it just takes your body sometime to get used to it. Take a day off, but do something to get your blood flowing. Increased circulation means your body will heal faster. I never "technically" have a rest day because on the days I "rest" I at least do some light cardio to get my blood flowing. Then just make sure you do lots of quality stretches and relax the rest of the day. Also if you don't drink milk regularly you should start or at least take a calcium supplement 2-3 times a day(not all at once, your body can only absorb a certain amount of calcium at a time) That will replenish the calcium in your muscles as well as help strengthen your bones. And make sure your eating within 30 minutes or so after you finish working out, something with calcium, carbs, and protein- my fav mix is an apple, peanut butter, and milk. Your body digests and processes food much more quickly within the 15-30 min post workout than any other time during the day so take advantage and get the stuff it needs to rebuild muscle and strengthen bone in there as quickly as possible.

Also if you read a few posts up, I explained a good method for icing any painful joints or muscles and you could definitely do that after you work out and on your rest days to help soothe the aches. Ultimately if the ache or pain persists see a doctor since it could be shin splints, but I just don't see it being shin splints after only two days of doing the shred, I think its just your body adjusting so give it some time. Watch your form on the exercises too, pay attention to what she says about letting your knees travel past your toes, and the proper form for stretching. The knee is a big wad of tendons and ligaments and if you pull or push too far against one of them you can stretch or worse tear it, and that can be pretty painful to say the least.
  • Dragonfly11
    Options
    Hi Everybody,
    It's late. just finished ironing, chicken cooking in the oven and will be done in about ohhhhhh.....23 minutes ~ Off to shred!!
    I really had to post that because right now I could just lay it down.
    I know I will feel better when I'm done. Accountability right?

Hang in there everybody!!

Go Smiles, Go Smiles , Go, Go, Go Smiles!!!:drinker: :drinker: Woo Hoo!! So proud of you!!

My Turn

Janet:heart:
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, supermom. Now my quest will be to find a good sports bra. The one I own just smooshes them and they bounce around still, but they look like pancakes while they bounce! Ironic that sports/fitness stores only cary small sizes when its the fatties like me that need these clothes the most! I guess I'll have to order one. I think that would help alot. My shins feel fine now, I think the muscle was just really tight! And I do eat yogurt, but I'll start having some milk with dinner, and maybe breakfast too. I'm going to stick with some walking or cardio tomorrow and then try to pick up again. I like how i feel mentaly after the workouts, dont want to lose track and quit.
  • meana717
    meana717 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, supermom. Now my quest will be to find a good sports bra. The one I own just smooshes them and they bounce around still, but they look like pancakes while they bounce! Ironic that sports/fitness stores only cary small sizes when its the fatties like me that need these clothes the most! I guess I'll have to order one. I think that would help alot. My shins feel fine now, I think the muscle was just really tight! And I do eat yogurt, but I'll start having some milk with dinner, and maybe breakfast too. I'm going to stick with some walking or cardio tomorrow and then try to pick up again. I like how i feel mentaly after the workouts, dont want to lose track and quit.

Try UnderArmor or Champion for the bra. I got them issued to me through the Army when I deployed and boy have they come in handy now that I'm working out! Also as for push-ups! I was right there with you. Try doing what we called COBRAS. Lay flat on the ground with your arms to each side in the push-up position. Use your arms and raise your UPPER BODY ONLY. Make sure you keep your toes to the ground. Extend your arm up to lift and then down flat again. This will REALLY help. I could only do 2.5 push-ups when I joined the Army in July of 2000 and by the end of Basic in October 2000 I maked my Push-ups with 52!!!!

Way to stick in there everyone!

Great Job Smiles.
    Only two exercises I still follow Anita for are the traveling push-ups and the Rockstars. The rest I do with Natalie!
  • RockNRollWeekender
    Options
    I feel like it's been forever since I caught up on reading the posts.

Sad to say that I took the last THREE days off from the workout. 1st day I did THREE hours of HEAVY house cleaning. 2nd day was just chaotic. And yesterday...was laundry day, go to book fair day, visit Santa, and be cranky day. I really wish I would've worked out at least one of those days. But today was very rewarding. I went back to Level 1 for a day.....(I've been on 2 for at least a week) not because I didn't think I could hack it but so that my husband could do the exercise with me for the 1st time. He's watched me do it before (on Level 1 & Level 2) but seriously he had no idea what he was getting into. I was laughing :laugh: (and cheering him on) half way through. Afterwards he told me that he didn't like it.... because it whooped his butt so much. :happy: He now has a new respect for Jillian Michaels and all of us Shredders. We're also thinking about investing in a wii and her game.

Congrats to everyone for doing so awesome and sharing your tips and secrets. It's helping keep me motivated to read all the posts.

Time for me to finish eating my calories for the day and get to bed.
  • supermom1114
    Options
    I feel like it's been forever since I caught up on reading the posts.

Sad to say that I took the last THREE days off from the workout. 1st day I did THREE hours of HEAVY house cleaning. 2nd day was just chaotic. And yesterday...was laundry day, go to book fair day, visit Santa, and be cranky day. I really wish I would've worked out at least one of those days. But today was very rewarding. I went back to Level 1 for a day.....(I've been on 2 for at least a week) not because I didn't think I could hack it but so that my husband could do the exercise with me for the 1st time. He's watched me do it before (on Level 1 & Level 2) but seriously he had no idea what he was getting into. I was laughing :laugh: (and cheering him on) half way through. Afterwards he told me that he didn't like it.... because it whooped his butt so much. :happy: He now has a new respect for Jillian Michaels and all of us Shredders. We're also thinking about investing in a wii and her game.

Congrats to everyone for doing so awesome and sharing your tips and secrets. It's helping keep me motivated to read all the posts.

Time for me to finish eating my calories for the day and get to bed.

I'd definitely suggest the Wii!!! I can't speak about her game but I'm hoping to get it for Christmas but I have the EA Active game and the Biggest Loser game and I do them both regularly, they aren't as intense as the shred but there are certain exercises that kill me!! I like to do the Shred then the EA Active and then the Biggest Loser, thats the order of intensity so its nice to start off hard and then work my way down to cool down. Don't worry about getting off track, life can get in the way sometimes, just make it a priority to get back on track and stay strong!
  • mroper
    Options
    Level 1 day 7 done! I wasnt in the mood to exercise this morning but I did it anyway. I feel great now. Glad I stuck with it. Didnt get all my water in yesterday so ive got to make sure I drink plenty today. I really feel like this exercise program along with MFP and you fellow Shredders has inspired and motivated me! Im excited about working out, getting fit, and feeling better.

OH and Thank you Supermom for all the info!!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day :drinker:

Mendy :flowerforyou:
  • amboardman
    amboardman Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Day 4 of Level 1 done this morning! I started out exercising at night, but for the last two mornings have gotten up early (BIG deal for me, I am NOT a morning person) to shred. I thought getting up in the morning would get me going and I would feel better throughout the day, but this morning was much harder to do the moves and I am already tired...could use a nap :yawn: . And boy are my muscles mad at me (I know they'll thank me later :laugh: )! If I exercise at night, I have to wait until I am able to get all three kids (they're 6, 2, and 1) in the bed so it's usually pretty late (well, 9:30--that's late for me...haha). Plus, when my son went to bed last night, he was upset because he didn't get to exercise with me. I think it's great that he wants to exercise and I can instill the importance of being healthy, but I hate waiting until the VERY end of the day...there's a better chance I'll find an excuse NOT to do it. Any suggestions? Do you guys shred in the morning or evening?
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Level 3, day 5 or so, who remembers. 25 real situps this morning, but had to really soften up a couple exercises. Painful crick in the lower back this morning and needed to baby it, may just take tomorrow off. Took 2 ibuprofen this morning, and we'll see.

Mrose stated this morning that she's wanting to ease back into it, so looking forward to that. I'll go through the levels with her, a little at a time and bring her along. I just hope she doesn't overdo and get knocked down again.

Fibromyalgia sux bad,,, my babygirl's hurting, I hate it. :mad: :angry: :explode:
  • Mande_G
    Mande_G Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    G'morning, shredders!

Level 1 day 5 DONE! I'm halfway through level 1, and 1/6 of the way through the program. Woohoo!

Have been pretty tired this morning, before AND after the workout, and I had to really talk myself into just hitting the play button -- I got through the workout fine, though, once I started. Didn't even need the extra 5 minute cooldown today, and again no queasiness. I did get dry mouth again during the workout, definitely going to be upping my water intake (have been getting a consistent 10 cups/day; upping to between 12-16). All I want to do is climb back into bed and snuggle with my kitties... but I have to go to work! Probably a good thing, too! :laugh: I know I'll feel better once I get out the door, so it's all good.

Have a great day, all!!
  • supermom1114
    Options
    Level 1 day 7 done! I wasnt in the mood to exercise this morning but I did it anyway. I feel great now. Glad I stuck with it. Didnt get all my water in yesterday so ive got to make sure I drink plenty today. I really feel like this exercise program along with MFP and you fellow Shredders has inspired and motivated me! Im excited about working out, getting fit, and feeling better.

OH and Thank you Supermom for all the info!!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day :drinker:

Mendy :flowerforyou:

No problem girl!! I want to be a dietician and part-time personal trainer someday so I love helping people and getting the right info out there! I'm definitely not saying I know everything, I'm just saying I work my hardest to get the answers and to keep on top of new research and studies.

amboardman- I usually work out during my son's naps, in the afternoon. But I love working out in the mornings, just to get it over with and so I don't make excuses later on in the day to not get it done. I think its awesome that your son is getting involved too!! Maybe if hes old enough get him involved in cooking healthy meals too! Let him do something simple and then name the dish too! I think when children get involved in the cooking process they are more open to eating what theyve cooked. And an easy way to get veggies in to almost anything is to puree them in a food processor or magic bullet and add them in to pasta sauce, mix it in with hamburger meat and make burgers, there are tons of ways to get them in. Even when the kids I used to babysit wanted chicken nuggets, I bake those, puree some veggies and mix in a bit of ketchup as dip, they loved it!!

Casper- I hope she starts feeling better soon!! Great job on doing Level 3 and I think a day off wouldn't hurt anything and would definitely help the back.

Mande- Great job on pushing yourself despite being tired!! Way to go!! Definitely up your water intake, if you're thirsty you're definitely dehydrated. Just make it a point to drink water regularly not just when you're thirsty.

So I was supposed to do Day 10 level 1 but I was really bored with it yesterday so I jumped ahead and did Day 1 Level 2 today! Wow!! That was tough! But I'm definitely glad I moved up, I felt challenged again and loved it!!! Keep up the hardwork fellow shredders!!! We can do this!!!
  • Dragonfly11
    Options
    Morning Shred Family,
    Really glad I took a minute to log in before I worked out last nite - Day 8 level 3 Done!! WOO HOO! I can't tell you all how much it helps to read your posts and hear about your victories and challenges. Man does that push me to try when I don't feel like it!! And I always am grateful I made the choice to stick to my commitment rather than bale for a non- authentic reason. If I'm sick or my body tells me to chill - that's different. So thank you all this morning for sharing yourselves:flowerforyou: It's a we thang!!

Tonight feeling like some cardio and possibly day 9 level 3 shred. I was a cardio nut prior to this and did limited strength training because I used to think it was so boring in comparison. One of the gifts of this program is my changed attitude about strength training and I know it is definetly something I will keep on doing 3 times/week. Rock Stars and still kicking my a@$ but I had much more energy during the last round, scissors have gotten much more bearable although I do want to kick her when she says" just 10 more":laugh: , jumping lunges are getting better too - i am able to get deeper into the move! Hurray for progress.

Casper - Hope Mrose is back in the game real soon and feels better, the fibromyalgia is def hard to live with ( have 2 friends who struggle. ) It's hard to watch someone you love in pain. Will keep you all in my prayers. Take care of that back!!

Super - Thanks for all the good info. Good for you for moving up to level 2!! Another good w/o!!

Mande - Good job working out when you didn't feel like it - In my book those burn the most calories:laugh: !! I have to really make myself drink water everyday. Keep working on it - it gets better!!

Amboardman- I used to work out every morning and I loved it now I work out in the pm and I find I have much less energy after work and the commute. I completely understand. I know I will get adjusted to this but it's going to take me a minute:huh:

Hey, where's Smiles??

Hope all have a wonderful day and stay on point!

Janet:heart: