Jillian's 30 Day Shred

Options

Replies

• tdt2007
    Options
    I have been doing level 1 of Jillian's 30 Day Shred for 4 days in a row now and have not lost a pound. Actually went from 143 up to 148 in those 4 days. I love the workout, but I am hoping that Im am just retaining water from the workouts and building muscle or something. Its hard to work so hard and not see smaller numbers.

Has anyone else experienced this? And I have another question, if I am building muscle or whatever, does that mean that my weight will never go down? (side note: I have been eating very well)
  • meana717
    meana717 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Great Job everyone... JLB I wasn't even willing to attempt level 2.. Kuddos for you! Welcome back to level 1! Demezat...welcome back.. you will do great! Casper... awesome for both you and the wifey. I know as a woman we are definately creatures of instant gratification. I tend to believe that nothing is working or changing even when others tell me they can see a difference! That is so wonderful that you could do "guy" pushups, even if it was only for a set an a half. Look... I do "girly" push ups for the first set and the second set, I whimp out even more and do some "Cobras". Hoping today that I can do at least "girly" pushups for both sets! TDT... it is quite common to not see change like what you are doing, make sure you are drinking lots of extra water. Remember you should be drinking 8 glasses of water for a normal "non-exercise" day, so up it another glass or two. Also, no you will eventually see weight loss. I understand your frustration... this actually happened to me when I first tried to lose weight about 3 months ago... and I very quickly gave up because I too was disappointed that my numbers went up. However, this time I decided to push through... and it is actually working for me!

Well everyone... We can do this... and everyone is doing good... stick to it... only 23 more work outs to go .. counting todays since I haven't done it yet! :flowerforyou:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I have been doing level 1 of Jillian's 30 Day Shred for 4 days in a row now and have not lost a pound. Actually went from 143 up to 148 in those 4 days. I love the workout, but I am hoping that Im am just retaining water from the workouts and building muscle or something. Its hard to work so hard and not see smaller numbers.

Has anyone else experienced this? And I have another question, if I am building muscle or whatever, does that mean that my weight will never go down? (side note: I have been eating very well)

Yes, I noted a slight weight gain as well. I definitely think my muscles are retaining water due to the more strenuous workout. I'm sure once we adjust to the workout a little the weight will drop. I have been losing 2-4 pounds/week until now (I have a lot to lose) and I haven't changed my eating habits from the last few weeks (if anything they've gotten better) so I know for sure I'm not gaining fat! :wink: Building muscle means your metabolism will increase which means you'll burn fat faster. Unless you're using super heavy weights, you're not going to build bulky muscle so I don't think you need to worry abou tthat. Weight really is just a number. I'd personally much rather be a 150 pound fit & healthy ball of muscle than a 120 pound skinny flabby softy. :tongue:

Oh, one thing I wanted to suggest was to take your measurements. When the scale isn't going down, you can re-measure yourself and see your inches drop. I was a little down about my weight gain (it's up 1.5 pounds since Friday when I started the Shred) so I remeasured myself from 10/05/09 and I had lost 3 inches from my waist, 3 inches from my hips, and an inch from my chest. That was quite a mood lifter!
  • kristen5286
    kristen5286 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I am starting tonight.....

What weight are you using?

At the current gym that I am im using 5 lbs (biceps, triceps) and 7.5 lbs (shoulders). But I left my 5 lbs weights at my friends house..BOO HOO...I might just need to buy some more today...

Honestly, I'm using 2lb weights and I feel the burn. I could probably manage 3 but I think my arms would fall off if I tried using 5 at this point!

And just an edit to say I'm not a total weakling. :laugh: I can pretty easily shoulder press or bicep curl 20 or 25 pounds. The repetition really gets your muscles burning, though, even with no weights at all.

I do it with 2 lb weights on the ones that I really feel the burn.. so I can do all the repetitions and I use 3 lb weights on the ones I can handle more weight
  • kristen5286
    kristen5286 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    ok.. I am back from my weekend in Dallas and I can officially say I didn't work out once and I ate horrible but my weight didn't budge at all!! That was super nice!! But I am back on track and doing the Shred every day and eating right!!

I hope y'all had a great weekend!
  • Kaileyxoxo
    Kaileyxoxo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    WOW just finished level 2 (since it was the 8th day i decided to try it), its intense! Definately not easier than level 1 like i had heard it was. Its hard but worth it, just keep pushing, i had to take some quick breaks through it, but will continue to do level 2!
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    JUST received 30 day shred this very minute!! :happy: Tomorrow morning I will definitely be shredding for the first time. I'm expecting a serious workout and I hope Jillian delivers!
  • Lisa_T
    Lisa_T Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just got my dvd last night and did my first level 1 workout with Jillian this morning. I LOVE this dvd!!! Can't wait to read how everyone else is doing!!

Thanks for starting this thread :smile:
  • meana717
    Options
    I just got my dvd last night and did my first level 1 workout with Jillian this morning. I LOVE this dvd!!! Can't wait to read how everyone else is doing!!

Thanks for starting this thread :smile:

Welcome to the thread...and you are more than welcome! Congrats on your amazing weightloss! That is spectacular!

:flowerforyou:
  • kiki2006
    Options
    Just tried this tonight! Kicked my butt! I'm hoping I can stick with it!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Did Level 2 tonight for the third time... still really hard, but I'm determined to keep going.

I almost didn't do it, but my daughter (6) asked me, "Are you going to exercise tonight?" I looked at the time and realized I had just enough time to squeeze it in. I'm SO glad I did!!
  • meana717
    Options
    Did Level 1 again today...day 8...definately easier than the 1st day but no where near ready to move on. Welcome KIKI.... I'm sure you can stick with it. Even when you don't feel like I doing it, push through and before you know you know it the work out will be over and you will feel great! Great job Kath on Level 2 for the 3rd time! WOW!
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Did Level 1 .... day 1 !

I definitely broke a sweat, but I need to up the weights. I've been doing theFirm for 10 weeks, so other than the pushups (I still can't do pushups), I didn't find it challenging enough. BUT - I also used light weights because I didn't know what to expect. I'm going to try Level 1 tomorrow with heavier weights.
  • katie980
    Options
    i'm back now too...i was at a wedding in kentucky and we were in a cabin so i couldn't do it all weekend. :( i missed it. i'm scared when i do it tonight it's going to be like day 1 all over again! hopefully i didn't lose all my endurance during my break! excited to get back in on it again!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Hit 'er again last night - 6th workout/8th day. Getting easier, I'm about ready for level 2. Wife and I planning a good one tonight. :smile:
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Finished day 5 this morning....feeling good! I can definately tell a difference since day one - I don't cheat.....as much:laugh: . Still can't do push-ups though. Thank you Amanda for letting us know about cobras - that's what I do now. I think part of my problem is that I'm not sure how to do them properly....but the majority of my problem is that I have no upper-body strength :ohwell: . I'm getting better though!
  • meana717
    Options
    Finished day 5 this morning....feeling good! I can definately tell a difference since day one - I don't cheat.....as much:laugh: . Still can't do push-ups though. Thank you Amanda for letting us know about cobras - that's what I do now. I think part of my problem is that I'm not sure how to do them properly....but the majority of my problem is that I have no upper-body strength :ohwell: . I'm getting better though!

Oh I'm right there with you Sara... I have zilch upper body strength! I too, am getting better though! Not to dote on anyone, but I'm super glad to see that I'm not the only one who can't do push-ups! :indifferent: Great job everyone.... keep it up! Today is Day 9...two more workouts and on to Level 2.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I did level 1 again today - this is the 3rd time (but with multiple days of rest in between). I think i'm going to "re-start" the 30 days and try to do it consecutively, now that I have a better idea of what to expect.

Anyone planning to advance to Level 2 and still do the modifications (following Anita)?
  • meana717
    Options
    I did level 1 again today - this is the 3rd time (but with multiple days of rest in between). I think i'm going to "re-start" the 30 days and try to do it consecutively, now that I have a better idea of what to expect.

Anyone planning to advance to Level 2 and still do the modifications (following Anita)?

When I do advance... which will be Thursday's workout... I will be still following Anita!
  • Giggles27
    Giggles27 Posts: 139
    Options
    Hello everyone...Today was my first day of Level 1 on Shred...and I liked it....

It is alot like my hour long Body Works Class...that I take at least 2 times a week at LA Fitness...I can only do 20 girly style push ups at a time...so of course those hurt...a bit...A LOT...lol

I did it with 3 lbs weights, when i normally use 5 lbs...the cardio was a lil tough also but something I guess my body has gotten more accustomed to....but i was huffing and puffing...no surprise there...

Tommorow will be an hour of kick boxing followed by an hour of Body Works class so I think I will do Day 2 of Shred on Thursday...thanks everyone for all your advice and also because of this thread I wanted to do it....