Food Addicts Anonymous??

Options

Replies

• bluenote
    bluenote Posts: 2,930
    Options
    Ditto. I feel safe to share my happiness and mistakes here without being embarrassed. I also feel OK to share that I have a million miles to go before I reach a healthy weight, and that no one mocks me for it. :heart: We just have to keep holding each other up, no matter what.
  • strongandfit
    Options
    Hi all last few days not so good. Still hanging in there. Holidays coming up. Lets get through that. best to you all.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    :Hugs: It always gets easier after the Christmas hump.
  • bluenote
    Options
    strongandfit, keep hangin' on!! We need you!! :flowerforyou:

As for hangin' on, I had a terrible day, but I didn't stuff myself with food to make it go numb like usual. Kind of proud of myself for at least that. :ohwell:
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I just found your thread...I never thought of myself as a food addict because I don't overeat, I just eat the wrong foods! My name is Eava and I am a food addict. I joined MFP in July but my original group didn't make it through the fall. I was raised in a home where food equated love!!! I was always overweight...I remember when there were actually chubby sizes for kids! I wore a 14 Chubby...now that didn't mar me for life. :laugh:
  • sissy56
    sissy56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I remember chubby sizes. I hate Halloween because I was so fat as a 2nd grader, I split my costume down the back. And I was trick-or-treating with the tiniest girl in school, too. I wouldn't go roller skating in the 6th grade because I didn't want anyone to know I wore 8.5 shoes, same as my mom. Wow, reading this back, I guess I really do have issues.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    Hi Eava and Sissy, yep, we've all struggled with those kinds of issues. Welcome to FAA, here are your wings. :chuckle:

Good job resisting, Zorahope, that really is something to be proud of! :flowerforyou:
  • ginazurn
    ginazurn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I ate 5 chocolate chip cookies yesterday. Part of my problem is I love sugar because my parents would never allow me to eat ANY sugar as a child. I load up on it because I was so deprived that I just latch on to it. Can anyone help me? It is really hard to control myself when teachers always have treats around. I don't really know what to do since Christmas goodies are coming up. I seem to crave them more when it is that time of the month too.... Any advice?:blushing:
  • jeanne832
    Options
    Well My name is Jeanne and I am a food addict too...Glad to see that I am not alone...I did a paper on Emotional Eating for my fitness class...needless to say I didn't learn a thing I still over eat when I am sad, depressed and stressed about work, kids and hubby...Especially when hubby and I fight...I think whatever who cares if I get fat right? Well after a conversation with my sister in law.. I have decided I can do it and have the will power to do it..I need to set an example for my kids right? But Kim 8 cookies is nothing when I probably would have ate the whole darn package!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    You can do it, Jeanne. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step :flowerforyou:
  • littlejazzbird81
    Options
    I've been thinking about what food means to me recently, and it is kind of scary. I eat when I am stressed and depressed, but I also eat to celebrate, or because "I deserve it." My favorite part of the holidays: the food. My favorite thing about vacation: the food. My favorite thing to do: go out to eat.

It is irritating to me that if you are addicted to alcohol or a drug or anything else, you stop doing it all together. No one is telling people with alcoholism, "just drink in moderation." But we have to learn to do that. We can't just stop eating all together. And moderation is NOT my strong point.

What I need to get addicted to is this great feeling I have had for the past three days where I have been staying on track. I feel more awake, I feel happier, and generally better. I may not be healthy yet, but I am starting to feel it, and I am hoping I will get addicted to being healthy instead of food.
  • bluenote
    Options
    I think you are absolutely right, LJB. Once you experience how good it feels to stay on track (you have more energy, you are more resilient - well, except for some temptations-cookies!) you can keep reminding yourself of that every time you want to overeat.

What we always say on here is stop and think before your first bite. Ask yourself, is this food going to make me healthy? Will this food help me get stronger and more fit? A lot of times just reminding yourself before the food hits your mouth helps.

We are all struggling together. The good thing about MFP is that we are all in the same boat and can share those triumphs and sorrows with each other, no judgments attached. Sometimes just knowing people out there "get you" is what's important. :flowerforyou:

Welcome all newbies! :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • bluenote
    Options
    I ate 5 chocolate chip cookies yesterday. Part of my problem is I love sugar because my parents would never allow me to eat ANY sugar as a child. I load up on it because I was so deprived that I just latch on to it. Can anyone help me? It is really hard to control myself when teachers always have treats around. I don't really know what to do since Christmas goodies are coming up. I seem to crave them more when it is that time of the month too.... Any advice?:blushing:

Gina, are you a teacher? (re: your comment about teachers and sweets) I am, too. I know exactly what you mean. It's like eating at school doesn't count for most teachers! Argh! :angry: I used to be that way. I totally get that mentality. Sweets are a reward for teaching all day! And you eat them all at school because no one at home will ever understand how exhausting your job is! :tongue:
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    It's that time of the year at our school too! Tomorrow we have a December potluck. As a teacher we hardly ever get treats so when we have a potluck it is such a "special" event. I will try to maintain and manage my portions. Hope I can fit in some exercise!:tongue:
  • leshawnturner
    Options
    Hey folks!!!! I don't have much time but I wanted to pop in and say hey to all of the newbies in the group!!!!! Plus tell everyone hello and to keep up the good work. Even if you have a bad day you are still doing good because you are aware that it was a bad day. so many times we overate unconscienously and before we know it there are empty wrappers surrounding us. I think being aware that this was a bad day and committing to doing better the next day is a great first step. We just have to continue on from that first step.

Have a great day!!!
  • littlejazzbird81
    Options
    I teach too! Although not at a school, I work at a learning center. Exhaustion and stress definitely send me right to the sugar. Right now I am training a new clinician, and we always have big baskets of candy when we train new people for some reason. So far it has been three days, and I have only had one mini milky way. And it was dark chocolate, bonus points for antioxidants right? ;) Hehe. Anyway, reading the posts that you all have written has really helped me. I am so happy I joined MFP. It's only Day 4, but I feel really great.
  • rheign
    rheign Posts: 56
    Options
    I would venture to say that the majority of the people on this site are food addicts. Some may be aware of it, others may not. Having an awareness that we "self-medicate" with food and making the decision to change our behavior is the most important step in the journey for those of us who do this. Thanks for posting this topic and getting the info out there. This may help those who are unaware of their behavior and offer support for those who are. THANKS! =]
  • gympamela
    gympamela Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to chips and salsa. I ate an entire bag of chips and a container of salsa last night. I am struggling with my addiction and it stresses me out!!!!!!
  • bluenote
    Options
    Pamela, I know how you feel. I am also addicted to chips and salsa. At first I had to just never bring it in my house, it was so bad I would eat the entire bag at once. Now what I am trying is to bring in the salsa but used veggies instead (I know, I know - NOT a decent enough substitute when you are craving salty!). I hope that by forcing myself to stay away from the chips and salsa for a month I can reprogram my brain to accept the veggies. :tongue: I'll let you know how it goes!
  • gympamela
    gympamela Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Im not buying the chips anymore!!! They are gone now, and my scale told me EXACTLY where they went LOL. I got my workout in and havent eaten anything off diet yet today, so Im going to finish my stir fry and go take a shower and give myself a pedicure so I have something to do while I watch Bones and drool over Booth.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!