Starting the day with breakfast??

124»

Replies

• xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Sorry - you lost me a bit there. I was responding to the comment "No one's body is dumb enough to show no hunger signs when it needs nutrients." which I believe is incorrect.

Now I'm lost as well. But yes, out of context what I said is wrong. It was aimed at starvation talk, kick starting metabolism and that it's perfectly normal not to eat first thing in the morning if you're not hungry. Hence some people skip breakfast and their bodies aren't dumb to ignore their needs.

Rephrasing~ When your body needs nutrients, it will show signs of hunger. If you stressed your body over years with overeating, you may have habitual signs of hunger like you mentioned in whacked hormones but in that case it's not about need as we have high fat deposits for that need. (ETA: I'm ignoring specific macro and micro needs here and assuming that they're met).
  • j_Sparks_01
    j_Sparks_01 Posts: 26 Member
    I am not a breakfast person either. A couple of years ago I purchased the "Food Lovers Diet" and even though I never followed it, the literature states that you should eat something as soon as you get out of bed. I am not a morning person and I run late to work every day, but the night before I will cut some melon or an orange and eat that in the car. You can also try a protein shake. I think it is important to eat something in the morning because it starts your morning off with some type of "fuel" but a full breakfast at the table while reading the morning paper just is not reality for everyone. :)
  • curvyvegan
    curvyvegan Posts: 80 Member
    If you are eating a lot at night then of course you aren't hungry for breakfast. Anytime you change the timing of your meals it is going to feel unnatural at first, but your body would adjust to it. The reason you are hungrier if you eat breakfast is because it kick-starts your metabolism for the day. Which is probably a good thing.

I would just make sure your breakfast is hearty enough to see you through. Enough fiber, protein, and fat to sustain you for several hours.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    I'm like you. So, on most days, I skip breakfast. It's 12:30 now, and I'm about to break my fast, only with lunch.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    If you are eating a lot at night then of course you aren't hungry for breakfast. Anytime you change the timing of your meals it is going to feel unnatural at first, but your body would adjust to it. The reason you are hungrier if you eat breakfast is because it kick-starts your metabolism for the day. Which is probably a good thing.

I would just make sure your breakfast is hearty enough to see you through. Enough fiber, protein, and fat to sustain you for several hours.

*sigh*

No it does not
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Sorry - you lost me a bit there. I was responding to the comment "No one's body is dumb enough to show no hunger signs when it needs nutrients." which I believe is incorrect.

Now I'm lost as well. But yes, out of context what I said is wrong. It was aimed at starvation talk, kick starting metabolism and that it's perfectly normal not to eat first thing in the morning if you're not hungry. Hence some people skip breakfast and their bodies aren't dumb to ignore their needs.

Rephrasing~ When your body needs nutrients, it will show signs of hunger. If you stressed your body over years with overeating, you may have habitual signs of hunger like you mentioned in whacked hormones but in that case it's not about need as we have high fat deposits for that need. (ETA: I'm ignoring specific macro and micro needs here and assuming that they're met).

My point was not regarding feeling hungry when you do not need to eat, but the reverse, re not feeling hungry even though you are lacking nutrients (i.e. undereating not overeating). I think thats where we are crossing our wires here.

I think we actually agree on the main points here though.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    My point was not regarding feeling hungry when you do not need to eat, but the reverse, re not feeling hungry even though you are lacking nutrients (i.e. undereating not overeating). I think thats where we are crossing our wires here.

I think we actually agree on the main points here though.

Ah, I took it completely in the wrong direction. Very true about undereating. Hunger is well supressed in that case hence the "I didn't eat all day but now I don't feel hungry at all"s.