Would you be brutally honest to a friend??

Options
lowpro1983
lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
I don't really have a nice way of saying this....BUT.....if your friend was wearing an outfit and asked your opinion, would you be brutally honest and tell her what you really think? Is there a way to be "gentle?"

What if your friend doesn't ask your opinion...would you tell her if she looked "fat?"

Just curious....

Replies

• McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Certainly not unsolicited! Ye gods... if one of my friends told me "by the way, you look really fat in that" I don't think I'd ever talk to them again.

Now, if they ask it's another story. Especially when trying on something to buy. Then the opposite rule applies. If I try on something that looks god awful on me and my friends tell me it looks great and then I see a picture and they were lying... off with their heads! Totally don't want to buy something I look like crap in because no one wanted to hurt my feelings.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    for guys this works all the time..,.i dont htink it works as well for women.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I would not offer the advice but if they asked I could say something like, it's a cute outfit but it doesn't flatter you well.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    My friend asked me about her hair (Which I HATED! she looked much better and now looks like a little boy) so I said "Well, I think it would look better if you straightened it." Then I also told her that I could tell that she didn't like it either and I then proceeded to suggest what else could be done to fix it. I felt a little bad, but the hair cut SUCKS!
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Lol @ women. Why can't it just be simple, I immediatly tell me friends if they look terrible.
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Certainly not unsolicited! Ye gods... if one of my friends told me "by the way, you look really fat in that" I don't think I'd ever talk to them again.

Now, if they ask it's another story. Especially when trying on something to buy. Then the opposite rule applies. If I try on something that looks god awful on me and my friends tell me it looks great and then I see a picture and they were lying... off with their heads! Totally don't want to buy something I look like crap in because no one wanted to hurt my feelings.

Exactly what she said =)
  • lowpro1983
    Options
    Definitely is different with men! haha...

I was recently invited to my bf's family's house to go swimming. I was contemplating on what bathing suit I should wear - as I have a one piece (that I hate) and a 2 pc. One of my friends stated, "not trying to be mean so please don't take this the wrong way, but I wouldn't wear your 2 pc in front of his family."

I wasn't sure if I should be appreciative of her suggestion - or if I should be offended.

My friend is currently larger than me (I love her regardless) but we have very different views on bodies. She would never wear a 2 pc, unless she was stick thin with no fat.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If you ask for my opinion...you get it.
  • Quilla_Baby
    Options
    Everybody has a different relationship with their friends, however, when it comes to me and my friends we are really honest with each other and very straight forward... its just how we are. I do know that everyone is not like that some people are more sensitive than others.. i guess it depends on whether or not you think she can handle it or not. I would tell her the truth :)
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Definitely is different with men! haha...

I was recently invited to my bf's family's house to go swimming. I was contemplating on what bathing suit I should wear - as I have a one piece (that I hate) and a 2 pc. One of my friends stated, "not trying to be mean so please don't take this the wrong way, but I wouldn't wear your 2 pc in front of his family."

I wasn't sure if I should be appreciative of her suggestion - or if I should be offended.

My friend is currently larger than me (I love her regardless) but we have very different views on bodies. She would never wear a 2 pc, unless she was stick thin with no fat.

Sounds like maybe she wasn't being disparaging about your body so much as talking about showing too much skin in front of his family?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    If a friend asks me, I always tell them what I think. I wouldn't be rude about it, though.
    I would hope a friend would be just as honest with me.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm really honest with certain friends, because I know they can take it.
    Though with other friends who are more sensitive I'll them they'll look good then ***** behind their back.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Why not?? I'm brutally honest with strangers.
  • peles_fire
    peles_fire Posts: 501
    Options
    Yes. There is such a thing as Loving Brutal Honesty. Just because you are being honest you don't need to say "You look like a tramp, a slut, a whale, a sausage, insert derogatory term here."

There is always a kind way to say things. You just have to think before you speak. All of my friends know I will be honest with them and they don't ask me unless they want the truth. And you know what? They love me all the more for giving it with a side dish of sensitivity. It is a fine line to straddle, but it can be done!
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Always. I would tell her to burn it.
  • Fish_Hook
    Options
    I don't really have a nice way of saying this....BUT.....if your friend was wearing an outfit and asked your opinion, would you be brutally honest and tell her what you really think? Is there a way to be "gentle?"

What if your friend doesn't ask your opinion...would you tell her if she looked "fat?"

Just curious....

As a friend you should always be honest. If I looked like a clown based on how I dressed if my friends couldn't tell me then that just wrong, you just have to be tactful about it.
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    My friends and I are very outspoken with each other, so yes I would be brutally honest to a friend. If something doesn't look good on her, I will tell her just like how she will tell me, ha ha.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    I'm a jerk so yeah i'll be honest.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I expect my friends to say "hey... Yeah that's not flattering" as I would do for them.
  • lowpro1983
    Options
    LOL...well maybe I am the fat friend ....she has told me before that SHE wouldn't wear my 2 pc. (which is probably why I've only ventured out twice in it)