Mantras for running / walking

Options
I found this website and thought it was pretty interesting, I'll be using these for walking at the moment, but thought someone else out there might find some motivation from it as well :)

http://runningzen.com/running-mantras/
What is a Running Mantra?

A running mantra is simply a phrase or word that you repeat mentally while you are running in order to achieve a certain goal. My first running mantra back in high school was a little pathetic, but it kept my mind off the difficulty and helped me to keep going. It was simply counting to 8 over and over again. It was rhythmic and hypnotic and even thought it sometimes was annoying to myself, it had a certain power. The mantra was a vehicle that carried me on when I would have otherwise wanted to stop.

When I got back into running for the second time in my life, about 5 years ago, my new mantra was “Lifelong Runner.” What this meant to me was: “It is OK to go slow if I need to. It is OK if I miss a day or even a week because I am sick. It’s all OK because I am a Lifelong Runner. As long as I have legs that can jog, nothing can stop that, especially my, at-times, doubting, anxious mind!”
Mantras for Runners

Try these mantras on for size. Modify them. Create your own. Let them carry you forward to whatever your goal may be. In fact, let your running or life goals be the place from which your mantra springs.
Beginning Runner Mantras

Counting to a certain number. Repeat. Repeat.
I am a Lifelong Runner.
I can do this.
I am a runner.
Born to Run.

Running Mantras for Tough Times

I have everything I need to complete this.
The energy is there. I release it to use it.
I am strong.
Strong. Energy. Relaxed. (repeat)
All I have to do is manage this moment. (Borrowed from”Slow Burn“-great book on running.)

Running Mantras for Racing

Race my pace.
Stay on pace.
Calm, focused, strong, steady paced.
I run my own race.
Counting works here too.

Running Mantras for Slow Days

Completing is Succeeding.
I only need to finish. No need for speed.
All miles are good miles.
What I can do is always good enough.
Its just one mile 3** times. (**insert your number) (Also from “Slow Burn” by Stu Mittleman)

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Mine is "I am the change I wish to be" -- Ghandi. It helps me focus on the reasons why I am out running rather than the discomfort I am feeling mid-run.
  • vger11
    vger11 Posts: 248
    Options
    "This block is gravy, this block is gravy"
  • missypoo1974
    Options
    When I'm doing the elliptical, I count my steps to 100, but it's only the steps of my right foot (so I guess I'm counting 200 steps). I'm not sure why, but it helps me keep going. I get to the end, and tell myself I can do another 100....I do that until I have worked out the time I decided on at the beginning.
  • nalfavi
    nalfavi Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Mine is "I am the change I wish to be" -- Ghandi. It helps me focus on the reasons why I am out running rather than the discomfort I am feeling mid-run.

I used this one when I went walking today, and ended up doing three times the distance I normally would do :) thanks for sharing it!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Glad it helped you.

It really does help me focus on the "why" of working out.
  • heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Definitely trying this one on my afternoon run today.
  • Delley08
    Delley08 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Love this!!!
    I found this website and thought it was pretty interesting, I'll be using these for walking at the moment, but thought someone else out there might find some motivation from it as well :)

http://runningzen.com/running-mantras/
    What is a Running Mantra?

A running mantra is simply a phrase or word that you repeat mentally while you are running in order to achieve a certain goal. My first running mantra back in high school was a little pathetic, but it kept my mind off the difficulty and helped me to keep going. It was simply counting to 8 over and over again. It was rhythmic and hypnotic and even thought it sometimes was annoying to myself, it had a certain power. The mantra was a vehicle that carried me on when I would have otherwise wanted to stop.

When I got back into running for the second time in my life, about 5 years ago, my new mantra was “Lifelong Runner.” What this meant to me was: “It is OK to go slow if I need to. It is OK if I miss a day or even a week because I am sick. It’s all OK because I am a Lifelong Runner. As long as I have legs that can jog, nothing can stop that, especially my, at-times, doubting, anxious mind!”
    Mantras for Runners

Try these mantras on for size. Modify them. Create your own. Let them carry you forward to whatever your goal may be. In fact, let your running or life goals be the place from which your mantra springs.
    Beginning Runner Mantras

Counting to a certain number. Repeat. Repeat.
    I am a Lifelong Runner.
    I can do this.
    I am a runner.
    Born to Run.

Running Mantras for Tough Times

I have everything I need to complete this.
    The energy is there. I release it to use it.
    I am strong.
    Strong. Energy. Relaxed. (repeat)
    All I have to do is manage this moment. (Borrowed from”Slow Burn“-great book on running.)

Running Mantras for Racing

Race my pace.
    Stay on pace.
    Calm, focused, strong, steady paced.
    I run my own race.
    Counting works here too.

Running Mantras for Slow Days

Completing is Succeeding.
    I only need to finish. No need for speed.
    All miles are good miles.
    What I can do is always good enough.
    Its just one mile 3** times. (**insert your number) (Also from “Slow Burn” by Stu Mittleman)
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    When I ran in my first marathon, a guy ran by me saying, "legs are strong, feet are light" over and over. I kind of liked it and started using it.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'm newish to running, but on my last two 5K runs this has gotten me through:

I will not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    for me, its; YOURE BURNING A HELL LOT MORE CALORIES THAN THOSE BLOKES WATCHIN THE TV!
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    When I fartlek I say, out loud, "Rockets" every 4 steps.

*I just remembered on my last marathon (Miami) I said "Thar she blows" upon completing each mile. P90X fans will recall Tony Horton saying that in Yoga X.
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Being fat is hard, working out is hard, pick your hard!
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I actually like all of these.

Bumping for my training soon AND my 5K events coming up. Thanks for sharing! :flowerforyou:
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    The heart of a Warrior doesn't quit! Sounds kind of corny but it helped me get ready for my first Warrior Dash. And helping me to get ready for the next one! :bigsmile:
  • akdoxrud
    akdoxrud Posts: 22
    Options
    My grandfather made me memorize the North Carolina State Toast and part of it is "Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great." I keep telling myself, "the weak grow strong."
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    bump

love these!

I talk to myself constantly while running!
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    one I use is when I'm struggling I start to count to 100 then keep track of how many hundred steps I've done, amazing how it distracts from the pain!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    I'm newish to running, but on my last two 5K runs this has gotten me through:

I will not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

:laugh: wait a minute. dune, right?

mine's not very philosophical: KEEP.GOING.KEEP.GOING.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

I have two things I focus on when I run.

If I am running alone - I focus on counting my breaths in relation to my stride. And, I also keep telling my self to look up - shoulders back - breath in through the nose and out through the mouth.

When I run in a group - I talk non-stop!! :-) I find that this is a way to breath naturally. So, much to the chagrin of my running buddies, I motor mouth for 10K!