cardio indoors - why?

Options

Replies

• da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I do both...depends on my mood and the weather. Heat and high humidity? No thanks. Winter with icy patches underfoot? Did that, slipped, and ended up with a fracture in a most unfortunate part of my anatomy. (The doctor still teases me unmercifully, as in "Only YOU would break your crotch!"
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    well for me at least, i work outside so the thought of going outdoors again to do my run/jog/walk after work in 110 degree heat is extremely daunting to say the least. i'm already getting up at 4am, so being out earlier than that is rough, besides the fact that we have some highly aggressive coyotes and packs of feral dogs in the immediate vicinity. i do try to get out on the weekends with my pup after sunrise but before i can feel my flesh melting. :smile: during the winter though, i like to take advantage of the nicer weather!
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Lol, hate to tell you but Binghamton is NOT upstate NY. I'm originally from up near Watertown. Now THAT's upstate NY. :p

Now that that's cleared up, I used to do indoor because I was nervous about people watching me work out, being judged, or being kidnapped/raped/murdered/etc (I tend to get anxiety). Once I got in better shape, I got over having people watch me or judge me, and I'm still careful about other people and the unfortunate events. Now I'm only inside if I'm trying to squeeze a quick one in and might need to stop mid-workout, or if it's pouring out (I wear glasses when i run and unfortunately, they don't come with windshield wipers).

he thinks he's in upstate NY... *shakes head & chuckles*
  • MommyPurl
    MommyPurl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I get the shred dvd out of the way first thing... actually look forward to doing it before the kids wake up! Then spent a good couple of hours out walking before a trip to the park. The best of both! :)

My kids are still a bit young yet to leave them and head out on my own, but that may all change once they're all in school next week!
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I take my Jillian DVDs outside and do them from my laptop. I think my neighbors get a nice laugh.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Lol, hate to tell you but Binghamton is NOT upstate NY. I'm originally from up near Watertown. Now THAT's upstate NY. :p

Now that that's cleared up, I used to do indoor because I was nervous about people watching me work out, being judged, or being kidnapped/raped/murdered/etc (I tend to get anxiety). Once I got in better shape, I got over having people watch me or judge me, and I'm still careful about other people and the unfortunate events. Now I'm only inside if I'm trying to squeeze a quick one in and might need to stop mid-workout, or if it's pouring out (I wear glasses when i run and unfortunately, they don't come with windshield wipers).

Binghamton is NOT the city, so if it's not upstate, I don't know what you think it is.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    August in Texas is the reason I run indoors. If I can get paramedics to follow me as I run, then I may give it a try.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Very self conscious. It is something I am trying to build myself up to do though, with the very occasional outside jog. I'm just too shy to be doing it outside when people can see me. I would rather do it in the comfort of my home, or the gym (where every one else is busy concentrating on themselves) than outside when people are sitting chatting and people watching.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Because it's been disgustingly hot and humid this whole damn summer (by Minnesota standards) and the mosquitoes and gnats are out in force and I don't like trying to dodge swarms of them, especially when I'm super sweaty (and I don't like sweating).

Safety. My neighborhood is relatively safe, but you just never know. The last time I went for a power walk to one of the nearby lakes by myself I got harassed by a group of homeless men, and no one else was around to save me if they would have tried anything. I also like to listen to music when I workout, but don't feel safe doing that outdoors alone because it'd be pretty easy to sneak up on me with music blaring in my ears. I was almost attacked last December, not while working out, but when leaving a friend's loft at like 3 am, and since then I really don't go anywhere alone in the evening or at night.

Variety and comfort. The gym offers unlimited workout options, and I have at least 2 dozen workout DVDs that I can do in the comfort of my living room, barely dressed, with no one judging me except my cat.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    For me, where I live is 100+ from about april - early october. That is rough. Plus, we have no sidewalks. And I am a single mom. I cant leave the kid home while I go run. DCF frowns upon that. I would MUCH rather be outside (early morning or sunset).
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

lol... very true, but from anyone not from here, Binghamton IS upstate.
  • allisona28
    allisona28 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    One word: Allergies. Some days are better than others for me outside, but right now ragweed is about to go haywire in my area, so it's better on my lungs to stay inside. Plus the humidity does a number on me too, if it's too high.

I do run outside about once a week though, just for something different.
    THIS
  • mhouston2011
    Options
    I'm wondering if the guy who started this thread now has enough reasons of why people work out indoors. If you live in a perfectly bubbled atmosphere where humidity isn't a factor...cars speeding past you...crazy dogs chasing you, then go for a run outside. As for me, I'll stick to where it is climate controlled. I'm going to sweat like crazy regardless. To each his or her own!!
  • amallia921
    Options
    I work out inside my house. Including cardio. It might be nice outside. But I am a stay at home mother with a 3 year old with light sensitivity (which means she cant be outside for long periods) plus a 1 year old. It might be nice for me but it might still be too hot for them. So what? I still get my exercise. You shouldnt judge people from the outside. Have you ever asked these people why? Probally not. Most people dont.
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options

Binghamton is NOT the city, so if it's not upstate, I don't know what you think it is.

It'd be more central NY than upstate.
  • tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Plus, most of the Jillian videos I own aren't what'd I'd call the same type of workout as running/biking/whatever outside.

I work from home and it's easy for me to run downstairs, start up my Jillian, and get a quick 30-40 minute circuit workout in before any of my work peeps even know I am gone. Yeah, I could go for a 30-40 minute run outside in the same time, but it's not the same thing. Maybe sometimes I want to run, and other times I want to do my video. I don't love running enough to do it every day. Not even close.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of the Gym and at 4 a.m., I am afraid to walk outdoors alone. I would rather walk on my treadmill and use DVD's and feel safe.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    My little boy can't run miles with me. That's the only reason I run at the gym sometimes. It's good for him to run around the kiddie area!

Other times, I go to the gym if I want to do lots of cross training. A little running. Stairs. Weights. Swim. So, if you see me on the treadmill, there's a good chance I'm doing other gym-worthy stuff as well.

I live in the Houston area and the heat doesn't scare me. I'd rather be outside. I will say that I always carry water for anything further than a 3 mile run. In the "winter" I carry water only if I'm going to run for more than an hour. I also use Bullfrog for sunscreen and bugs.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I like to run on the treadmill and work out at the gym because it keeps me focused. If I do it outside it feels much harder on my body (running hurts outside on the hard ground compared to the treadmill)
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    It is pushing 115 degrees here, so cardio outdoors would likely kill me. But sure, if the weather was nice, I'd be outside. :flowerforyou: