• Meowreen
    Meowreen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I usually don't like being outside!
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I am the victim of a viscous attack two years ago, on my apartment complex

Yikes!!!! I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully no long term damage/injuries?

I am a very lucky girl! I have no permanent physical injuries (just a 4cm long scar on my head, under my hair).
    The mental injury is something I live with everyday (some harder than others). It's changed me in ways no one will understand, unless they too have had the experience. Although, my overall awareness of my environment and the people around me has changed. I am an advocate for being aware of "life" now, and will tell my story over and over again, to hopefully help someone someday.

People do not realize the things they do and say throughout each day, that could put them in a bad spot. They also do not realize the things other people do and say throughout the day...most are routinely complacent like I used to be.

Anyways, once again....I run inside because for me I can run with ease of mind.
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    I would love to be one of those people who just couldn't fathom why someone wouldn't want their *kitten* jiggling around in their shorts in front of all their neighbors and various strangers...
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    I live in South Louisiana. It is hot as hell, even in the evenings. As far as hiking goes, I would LOVE to, IF we had anywhere do do such a thing. I would love to do all of my workouts outdoors, but that is not always possible. I am not taking my child out in the heat either. If I want until it cools off enough to get out there, it is dark and not always the safest option. During the day, we are under extreme heat advisories. I work outdoors 1/2 of the time as an environmental consultant. Sometime I don't want to go back out in that heat. It is miserable, and unsafe at times as well.

I don't see a problem with doing a cardio exercise indoors. I have a home gym with a bow-flex, elliptical, stationary bike, ab machine, as well as enough floor space to do cardio DVDs. It works. I get a great work out, and can stay healthy. It isn't always about preferences, but more like options. Yes, I could get up and get a run in at 5 am before it gets hot. But, is it really all that convenient to wake up my child to do so? Nope, I can just as easily get as good of a burn indoors.

I think that it is great that you live in an area that is beautiful outside, and are fortunate enough to be able to spend time out there. Some of us are not so lucky. I vacation in North Carolina for a week or two each year, and go mountain climbing, caving, and hiking. That is what I think of when I am indoors. Not the TV =)
  • craftymomma124
    Options
    I am lucky enough to live right off a bike path so I try to bike every morning. Presently I am living and taking care of my 87 year old father. I know that when he passes, hopefully not for a long while, I will have to move and may not be so lucky to live near a safe place to bike and walk.
  • tansygreen
    tansygreen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Summer holidays right now and looking after my children all day so can't get out for a run or anything like that. When they're at school I try to run on my local beach and woods, which of course, is way nicer.

Obviously I still go out for walks with the kids and dogs but it's not exactly a major calorie burner.

I lived in Brookly, NY for a couple of years and I remember all the runners (I lived near the East river) whatever the weather running through anything but blizzard conditions! I was always impressed - but never tempted to join them until after about the end of March :)
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It's been 115 here and there's no way I'm running or biking in that! So pushing play to get my sweat on is what I'll do :) but come this fall Outside exercise is a must!
    Come winter I'l be pushing play and lifting weights again :)
    I'm a fair weather person!

To each there own :))
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    If I lived in upstate NY I would be outside.
    I live in Texas, it's 110 not including the heat index. As much as I'd enjoy a side of heat stroke with my cardio I don't like hospital bills.

I'm assuming the original post was more or less geared to people that live in places that are not hot as hell right now.

^^^^THIS! I don't particularly care to run outside when it is 100+ degrees, plus humidity. Sure, I enjoy the fresh air/sunshine, but you've also got to be smart about it. I don't want to get up at 4:45 AM to run outside before work, and in south-central TX, it is still 97 degrees at 9:00 PM. SO >>>>> don't really have much choice here in the summer!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    because it's too darn hot!!!!
  • lemonjune
    lemonjune Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I find being in a gym keeps me motivated. It might sound silly and/or vain, but if I know people are watching me (I know they're not, but in my head they are xD) then I don't want to look like I'm slacking off or leaving early. I know, I know -- that's stupid, but hey, it keeps me going! Plus, it's really convenient that all the equipment tracks my time, distance, speed, heart rate, calories burned, etc. Plus, I'm not a big fan of heat or humidity.
    I think if people are just more comfortable doing cardio inside, it's their decision. Don't attack someone just because they have different preferences. It's a hell of a lot better than not working out at all. :/
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    If I lived in upstate NY I would be outside.
    I live in Texas, it's 110 not including the heat index. As much as I'd enjoy a side of heat stroke with my cardio I don't like hospital bills.

I'm assuming the original post was more or less geared to people that live in places that are not hot as hell right now.

I lived on the Lousiana coast when I started running. Its about that plus heat index plus 100% humidity in a cloudless sky. If I got up early or went for a run after sundown, I could run in about 75-80 degree weather and it was actually really refreshing to feel the wind on my sweaty skin - especially knowing later it would be so hot. And then- the South has central air- which just doesnt exist here in brooklyn apts.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I agree with OP, but different strokes for different folks, I guess.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    The time I get to work out is 9:30pm or later. I'd rather not get stabbed. Yesterday I got to go right after work to a rails-to-trails. Wicked cool to run through the woods.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    If you just prefer to do your cardio inside - that's totally cool. You don't need to offer an excuse. Just say personal preference.
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    If you just prefer to do your cardio inside - that's totally cool. You don't need to offer an excuse. Just say personal preference.
    I believe the OP specifically said "Why?"
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options

Was previously living in the far Canadian north (and yes, it gets hot and sweaty in the summer!); it's fairly unsafe to go out alone in the summer as well, due to wildlife and err, local "social problems". Currently living in the Canadian prairies - less insanely cold in winter but more ice storms, and way more heat and humidity in the summer. Plus lightening storms several times a week, which aren't outdoor-play friendly.

(And I'm a girl from the active west coast, used to hiking and biking in the mountains in torrential downpours)

Hey! I'm CURRENTLY in the Canadian north! Totally understand the 'social problems' that you are referring to. Lol.

:drinker: Cheers, mate! Glad you got yourself out of there!
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    It's hot.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Because that is YOUR personal preference. I agree, I love running outside. I can no longer stand the treadmill. In fact, I haven’t been to my gym in quite a while. I’ve resorted to doing Insanity & jogging instead. However, some people are not comfortable exercising outside. People post all the time about their fear and anxiety of running outdoors. To each their own. :drinker:
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    well I live in HOT AS HELL Arizona!! so ya exercising inside better than outside on these hot summer days
  • sdumma
    sdumma Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am a single mother with 2 small children. One who just turned 2 who is in a stroller and one who is 3 not in a stroller. I would love to go for a jog but that simply isn't possible. The only time I can get time to workout is after lunch when their both having a nap. Everyone has their reasons. If your doing anything to improve your overall health then I think is good enough reason to be proud and there is nothing wrong with that. One should not criticize people for where they workout, as long as they are moving that's all that counts!