cardio indoors - why?

Options

Replies

• butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Because I live in South Florida and it's a million degrees outside.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot of time in the gym but I love my bike rides! And, I really enjoy running out side.

As for gym based cardio, mostly sparring for me. Although I like to warm up with the jump rope.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I think it would be frowned upon if I left my 2 and 5 yr olds at home every time I wanted to go for a run.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have Grade 3 Osteoarthritis both knee's, torn meniscus both knee's, and a torn ACL in my right knee.. Any exercise I do is in custom DonJoy OA knee braces, along with knee injections (cortisone) and pain killers so in my case I let my knee's dictate my workouts for that day.. General I have to stick to the Elliptical, Seated Elliptical, Recumbent Bike, or like today (bad knee's day) was in the Pool swimming laps....But I do these do to the fact it is less stress on my knee's so this forces me indoors.. Now when I am up to it and having a day where I can push through the pounding I will hit the trails for a 5-8 mile hike, I may spend the rest of the day in the recliner with Ice Packs but I agree it is nice to get out and enjoy the outdoors when I can....
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    My reasons...

1.) My neighborhood does not have sidewalks, and running in the street is not the safest thing - especially when running with my kid. .
    2.) I have had the most horrendous things happen to me. People honk, scream, shout insults.... I even had someone throw a McDonalds bag at me once full of their trash.
    3.) It is 110 degrees outside. I am trying to get healthier, not die of a heat stroke.
    4.) I do other things besides cardio. Like weight lifting. I don't have a weight set and squat rack on the corner in my neighborhood.

Satisfied? Jerk.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I seem to be focused and motivated there.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    My reasons...

1.) My neighborhood does not have sidewalks, and running in the street is not the safest thing - especially when running with my kid. .
    2.) I have had the most horrendous things happen to me. People honk, scream, shout insults.... I even had someone throw a McDonalds bag at me once full of their trash.
    3.) It is 110 degrees outside. I am trying to get healthier, not die of a heat stroke.
    4.) I do other things besides cardio. Like weight lifting. I don't have a weight set and squat rack on the corner in my neighborhood.

Satisfied?
    Nope.
    Jerk.
    Ahhhh, that's better.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I am the victim of a viscous attack two years ago, on my apartment complex. For granted I wasn't running, but at the time that was something I routinely did outside.

So many people are complacent when running outside, they have their music up loud, they don't look before crossing drive ways and such.

My point, I am scared to death to run outside (alone)...If I have a partner then it's fine. There comes a time when you have to realize the world can be a dangerous place, and some of us find comfort running indoors (even if we long to be outside enjoying the beautiful weather).

Anyways...that's why I don't run outside. :smile:
  • Rage4lightning
    Rage4lightning Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have several reasons I prefer to do cardio indoors.

1.) I'm self-conscious. Even when I had a gym membership, I would hide in the women's only room to work out because it was almost always empty.
    2.) I have no idea what I'm doing. I've never worked with a trainer and I always feel like I'm not doing things "right" when I try it on my own outside.
    3.) I use E.A. Sports Active 2 so it tells me what to do, when to do it, and for how long. It also tells me my heart rate and calories burned.
    4.) I've never been particularly fond of being outside when the temperature goes out of the 64-72 range.
    5.) I'm afraid that if I go too far outside, I won't be able to get back home. This has sort of happened to me before when I took a walk downtown with my boyfriend and then nearly passed out. He had to walk back and get the car to pick me up. It's true that there were other reasons behind that issue outside of being out of shape, but it was still scary and I don't want to go through that again.
    6.) I work harder because I've spent money on whatever it is I'm doing. I spent my hard earned money on E.A. Sports Active 2 and I'm going to get my moneys worth out of it!

Although, to be fair, I do spend my morning break at work walking laps around the parking lot. It took a lot to overcome the first and fourth issues on that list to do it though.
  • rbl1225
    rbl1225 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    For me right now I am lucky if I can get outside during the day. In my last year of nursing school and it takes up so much of my time. Yes I have today off but the amount of studying I do it's easier for me to put my book up on my treadmill and read everything a ton of times while at least walking.

But hey if you want me to get outside more I will totally drop my studying that could possibly help you know save some persons life.

Yea right. Look everybody has reasons for the way they work out. Should you care no. At least people are still working out. And I'll tell you what I love those workout DVDs because when I have a little extra time I can just put one in.

Sorry we are not all like you. Then again not sure I would want to be a person who judges how other people work out.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I am the victim of a viscous attack two years ago, on my apartment complex

Yikes!!!! I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully no long term damage/injuries?
  • jonilynn70
    jonilynn70 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I live in the North GA mountains where it is very humid right now and the roads have no shoulders so for safety and health reasons, I am in the basement. But I am enjoying the outdoors the rest of the time when I'm not exercising!
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I love TV and I only like exercise. Make me choose between the two and I will likely choose TV... that's why I love exercising TO the TV.

I also enjoy going for walks in the park, but most days I'm happiest watching TV while I do my cardio.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    Believe it or not some people don't feel comfortable exercising outside. Some of us can't pull off just a sports bra and tight lycra shorts. Some of us feel like all eyes are on the fat *kitten* struggling to breathe and sweating profusely. I don't think anyone can truly understand that unless you're a fat woman.

So if it's a choice between not exercising in fear of being judged outside or putting Jillian Michaels on and sweating in the safety of my basement - I chose Jillian, I chose to move. How about - good for you for getting your *kitten* off the couch instead of why on earth won't you go outside?
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    PancakeRabbit.jpg
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Variety is the spice of life. Indoors in a SD winter is usually a sign of brains. LOL
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Treadmill at home vs the gym: Free

Inside vs out: I live in town~~ ugh... talk about unsafe on the highway?!

Point: I love running on the treadmill.
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If I lived in upstate NY I would be outside.
    I live in Texas, it's 110 not including the heat index. As much as I'd enjoy a side of heat stroke with my cardio I don't like hospital bills.

I'm assuming the original post was more or less geared to people that live in places that are not hot as hell right now.
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't rather be anywhere than hiking, but I prefer the elliptical or Wii over jogging outside because I can control my own climate inside and I'm not thrilled about the idea of people watching me attempt to jog outside. We've also had plenty of days where it has been worse than just uncomfortably hot. It really isn't beautiful where I am. We are in a state of drought, it's rarely been under 95, and the humidity gets way up there. This is coming from a girl that grew up in Montana, so Indiana weather is not kind to me. However, give me a beautiful trail and interesting things to look at/find and I'll hike for hours on end.

Also, as long as someone is exercising, why does it matter WHERE we do it?
  • tizzie_14
    Options
    I don't run and I don't bike. I like working out indoors because I can do it anytime and in any weather. My choice for being outside is to plant my butt on the beach and relax.