cardio indoors - why?

Options

Replies

• heygurlheyyyy
    heygurlheyyyy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love being outside catching some rays, but oddly I HATE running outside. I would much much much rather be on a treadmill. I realize it makes me weird, but I am who I am. LOL
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I like running outside more than inside, but when it's over 90 degrees by 8am---well, the treadmill will have to suffice. Also, the gym has childcare whereas the running trail, well, it does not....and I doubt my 5 year old can hang on a 6 mile run outside with me.

Also, lots of people DON'T LIKE RUNNING. Some people prefer a good zumba class or whatever. Different strokes, bro.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I guess this thread has cleared one thing up: why you're single!

<3
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    You're obviously not from Texas.
  • sfgonzales
    sfgonzales Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    They like doing it differently than you. Gasp?

This... And the fact that I live in Houston. Hot and muggy 90% of the time.
  • Apple2jacks
    Options
    I see all these posts about people doing various at home cardio DVDs (Jillian, insanity, whatever), or spending all this time on machines at the gym. I work at a gym and watch people line up for the cardio equipment on days when if FREAKING BEAUTIFUL outside.

Why?

I MIGHT BE POINTING OUT THE OBVIOUS...... YOU WOULDN'T HAVE A JOB IF IT WASN'T FOR "US" PEOPLE WHO GO TO THE GYM!
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Looove to run in the cold! Humidity and high temps are really really hard on me though, so I just find something else to do like swimming. I know that is not as easy to come by for some people though. I don't like the gym because I hate having to adjust my workout because I have to wait for a machine plus that strange rubbery sweat smell is kinda weird! I think its just a matter of what works for everyone though
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    105 here yesterday, and we have this thing called a heat index that put it at 112. They actually tell people to stay inside when it's like that. I know it's hard for northerners to understand, but people in the US actually die from the heat sometimes.

I feel ya girl!! Try running outside when it's 110 degrees---and that's not even the heat index! There are news stories every summer about somebody dying of a heat stroke here (I'm in Central TX), not worth the risk to me.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The OP is clearly one of those people who has a very limited idea of what cardio is...
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    The only time I am able to work out is at 5 am, and I live in the South. Translated: dark at that time, hot, humid, snakes. 'Nough said!

love this! I too am from the south and even though I LOVE the outdoors and I try to get outside to exercise at least 3 times a week, it is still so dang hot and humid you don't have to do very much except walk from your car to the walking track to drop 5 lbs of water weight!
  • xoyasminxo
    xoyasminxo Posts: 132
    Options
    Sometimes the humidity is too much. But I enjoy doing both. I get outside as much as possible.
  • gabbygal03
    gabbygal03 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great question and I have asked myself the same thing! I am someone who LOVES to be outdoors. I love to hike and bike outdoors, however, I prefer to workout indoors. For me, it's because when I'm on my treadmill, I know the terrain will be consistant and I will run or walk at a consistant speed. If I'm outdoors, I'm pretty sure I will slow down when I'm tired or stop before I should and I don't do this on the treadmill. I know if I purchased a heart rate monitor or some other tracking device, I would be able to know my speed, etc. but my funds are quite limited at this point! For me, the treadmill holds me more accountable to my workout-same thing for doing a dvd workout.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'm not criticizing, just something I have never understood.
    Yes, I think it was a bit rude too. Don't judge others when you know nothing about them or why they're doing what they're doing.

Do I need to stop judging, or do you need to be less sensitive?

I don't care what people do or don't do, I was just curious why people would rather be indoors when they could be outside. Simple question, simple curiosity. I hope you've got some tweezers or something to get your panties unbunched.

My panties are fine, thanks. Don't get so ruffled because I said your question was a bit rude. Simple opinion, simple observation. LOL
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    The OP is clearly one of those people who has a very limited idea of what cardio is...

care to elaborate?
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm not criticizing, just something I have never understood.
    Yes, I think it was a bit rude too. Don't judge others when you know nothing about them or why they're doing what they're doing.

Do I need to stop judging, or do you need to be less sensitive?

I don't care what people do or don't do, I was just curious why people would rather be indoors when they could be outside. Simple question, simple curiosity. I hope you've got some tweezers or something to get your panties unbunched.

@Jackson - I understand your question - I do not have a gym membership and due to space don't own a treadmill. I run outside rain or shine. Wish I had trails closer by, but the streets and our near by lake (small) will just have to do. The heat is hard on me, but 0530am or late evening usually takes care of that. I use a weight training DVD to keep me consistent and I like routine. Besides, Bob Harper is good looking. :)

I get how you would much prefer to be outside, me too. I also understand why others prefer the gym. To each there own.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I get how you would much prefer to be outside, me too. I also understand why others prefer the gym. To each there own.

Totally. I don't have anything against the gym, it's just not for me (for cardio, I do go to the gym to lift)... I was just curious to hear from people who do prefer the gym why they prefer it. And for the most part, that's what has happened in the thread and, I think, it's been a pretty good read.

Love the caption in your profile pic, BTW.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Some people dont like fresh air and sunshine on their smiling faces.

I dont understand these people, but I know they exist. They are pale and twitchy mostly.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Sorry, bad choice of wording... didn't mean to imply that you weren't working, only that interval workouts are designed to be high/low intensity repetitions with no rest/hesitation between. So a treadmill is not only not necessary, it makes for a less efficient interval workout.
    In your opinion. It only takes a treadmill a few seconds to speed up, the loss of efficiency is negligible in my opinion. You can get just as good of a workout on a treadmill as you can outside, it's just a slightly different workout.

Back to the topic at hand, I think people are amazed that you don't seem to realize that there are many different workout options and everybody is different and they may like doing things differently than you. The way your post is worded it makes it sound like your way is right and the other ways are wrong. I know that's not what you meant, and it's great that you like to enjoy the outdoors, but not everyone is like you.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    You make a good point! There's nothing like being outside in the great outdoors, but sometimes, it's just not practical. The biggest thing keeping me inside this summer is the heat and humidity. I absolutely HATE it. Though, if I had a serviceable bicycle, I would ride outside often, since the breeze would make the heat more tolerable. Sometimes doing cardio indoors helps me focus better and not lose focus because I'm miserably hot. Sprints in this heat..... Give me a treadmill!
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    105 here yesterday, and we have this thing called a heat index that put it at 112. They actually tell people to stay inside when it's like that. I know it's hard for northerners to understand, but people in the US actually die from the heat sometimes.

I feel ya girl!! Try running outside when it's 110 degrees---and that's not even the heat index! There are news stories every summer about somebody dying of a heat stroke here (I'm in Central TX), not worth the risk to me.

and don't forget to add that it's over 100 degrees at 10pm here in TX.