cardio indoors - why?

Options

Replies

• starcyndycyn
    Options
    It's 110 degrees F where I live! Sorry, but this is a pretty rude question. what's it to you what other people do!!!???
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I have my daughter 90% of the time and she's too young to leave at home alone
    Plus, I live in the city where most ppl are @sshats and I'm not comfortable going running outside

I like the privacy and the push from a DvD
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Have you seen what I look like when I workout?? Enough said! :laugh:
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Great question! I think if I lived where you do, I'd do more outdoor cardio! Instead, I live in the downtown of a somewhat rough-and-tumble New England mill town. For a while, I deluded myself that going out for a walk during daylight was safe, until a woman was raped at 10 AM on the same route that I take.

I still go for daytime walks, but you will not catch me going out for walks at dusk or when it is dark out. That definitely leaves out outdoor exercise 5 of 7 days in the winter time!

Fortunately, I have options: I belong to a gym, and I also own an Xbox Kinect with various exercisey games/ options. Add in a few workout videos and a range of kettlebells, and I have a good number of SAFE options at my disposal!
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    toddler napping. cant leave the house. good enough?
  • EmmiDahling
    EmmiDahling Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    cornfields=scary as hell.. I avoid.

^^^^
    OMG, yes! When we were house hunting, I told the realtor that the house could not be near any cornfields, not could the be any cornnfields between my house and place of employment. She thought I was crazy. I've always had a fear of cornfields, and several years ago I found out I'm allergic to corn smut (apparently a type of mold or something that grows on the corn in the field). I think it was my body's subconscious warning me that cornfields are bad for me. My mother, on the other hand, thinks it's the effect of too many scary movies.
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    Sometimes I use the treadmill because it's a lot easier to do interval sessions on it. I can see exactly how fast I am going so I don't just think I am sprinting and giving my all when I'm not. Also I have asthma and the humidity is killer.

As far as the DVDs go, some people just don't like running or repetitive motion. It changes things up and incorporates a variety of moves in to target different muscles while keeping your HR up. I don't see anything wrong with it.
  • laurensgettingfit
    laurensgettingfit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Same as a lot of other women, the fact that I have kids and they're too old for a pram but too little to walk at a reasonable pace without stopping for every feather on the ground.

And I hate winter and the cold. I worked today and I didn't finish until late so by the time I got home it was after dinner, dark and already a freezing 6 degrees (your 42 I think) seriously I will go out for a walk when its middle of summer crazy hot but not when its that cold. Much prefer to be in my warm little house on my exercise bike!!

Counting down the days until summer again!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I use the treadmill because it's a lot easier to do interval sessions on it. I can see exactly how fast I am going so I don't just think I am sprinting and giving my all when I'm not. Also I have asthma and the humidity is killer.

FWIW, *real* intervals are harder on treadmills because of the time it takes to speed up and slow down the belt. True intervals should have no delay between the 2 intensities. Speaking of intensity, that's what intervals are about, so technically speed doesn't matter, effort does.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    It's 110 degrees F where I live! Sorry, but this is a pretty rude question. what's it to you what other people do!!!???
    hahaha. Seriously???
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    My first thought was the OP obviously doesn't have kids....

I do, single parent of 2 actually.

Thanks for playing.
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options

FWIW, *real* intervals are harder on treadmills because of the time it takes to speed up and slow down the belt. True intervals should have no delay between the 2 intensities. Speaking of intensity, that's what intervals are about, so technically speed doesn't matter, effort does.

Oh I guess what I've been doing is fake intervals, damn!

I also can't adjust the incline of the pavement.

"FWIW" I run outside about 3x a week
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    105 here yesterday, and we have this thing called a heat index that put it at 112. They actually tell people to stay inside when it's like that. I know it's hard for northerners to understand, but people in the US actually die from the heat sometimes.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Sorry, bad choice of wording... didn't mean to imply that you weren't working, only that interval workouts are designed to be high/low intensity repetitions with no rest/hesitation between. So a treadmill is not only not necessary, it makes for a less efficient interval workout.
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options

Sorry, bad choice of wording... didn't mean to imply that you weren't working, only that interval workouts are designed to be high/low intensity repetitions with no rest/hesitation between. So a treadmill is not only not necessary, it makes for a less efficient interval workout.

The time on my treadmill to switch intensities is virtually nothing. I mean it's really almost instant if I adjust the incline before switching speeds. But let's not confuse interval with HIIT - that I do a completely different way. This is just interval, I go from low/mid/high (not in that progression) and repeat for a good long while. If it's not as efficient as it could be I would never know because the results have been pretty mindblowing enough for me
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I stay at home all day with my 3 kids while my husband works and he doesn't come home until the evening.. I have no money for a babysitter or a gym. My closest family lives an hour away. I do workout DVDs because it's pretty much the only option I have at this point.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it was a bit rude too. Don't judge others when you know nothing about them or why they're doing what they're doing.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I'm not criticizing, just something I have never understood.
    Yes, I think it was a bit rude too. Don't judge others when you know nothing about them or why they're doing what they're doing.

Do I need to stop judging, or do you need to be less sensitive?

I don't care what people do or don't do, I was just curious why people would rather be indoors when they could be outside. Simple question, simple curiosity. I hope you've got some tweezers or something to get your panties unbunched.
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    At the moment it is because the humidity is so thick it feels like you are drinking the air not breathing it. Not to mention the issue of a safe place outside to do this. I'm hoping that fall and spring bring some good, get outside weather.

Same here!!! Virginia has disgusting humidity on top of 100+ temperatures... and lately it has been known to begin raining at any moment... not great outside conditions to be running in... Richmond is the worst for weather, because of its location.

In the fall will be a different story, but for now, I would much rather be inside the gym.
  • rainwalkerSK
    Options
    Because apparently DHS frowns upon leaving a 3 year old and a 1 year old alone in the house while mommy goes for a run. Who knew?