cardio indoors - why?

Options

Replies

• alzaman5925
    alzaman5925 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Lol, I was having exactly the same conversation with my parents a month ago. We live in a gorgeous, peaceful neighbourhood where there's lots of fresh air and greenery. Perfect conditions for me to go out cycling. Initially, my parents had figured that I was too young to cycle on my own what with the various roads and the dangers of being run over if I lost control (this was when I was a teenager). Now that I'm 20, I made the case to them and actually succeeded in their allowing me to enter the realm of outdoor cycling.

So I went out every day for about a week, and I came back clawing at my skin to make it stop itching, because we'd all forgotten that the real reason I never went outside to exercise was because the lovely trees and sandy fertile soil were somehow the perfect recipe to trigger off my eczema once again. That happened about a month ago, and my skin is still not back to normal. So that's my personal reason for not exercising outside. :grumble:

On a different note though, I'm quite a private and easily embarrassed person. I am much more comfortable running on a treadmill in the seclusion of my own home, purely because an overweight person running is not always the most aesthetically pleasing of sights. You can really see my thighs and my stomach flab jiggle beneath my clothes (god it's embarrassing just to say :embarassed:) and it really takes a huge effort to put on that sort of demonstration in public. I don't even allow anyone to enter the room when I'm exercising, I'm that sensitive about my image now. I also feel I can concentrate and motivate myself better when I'm not so concerned about other people's prying eyes..
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have asthma and both allergic and non allergic rhinitis. Outdoors can be scary for my breathing depending on the humidity and heat. On the weekends I get up early enough to walk, but that's not possible during the week so I stay indoors and workout.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    4am = dark = scary outside :noway:
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Well I can't speak for anyone but me it's because its 90+ outside, no way in hell am I running in that. I will run on my treadmill with the AC on. I ran run forever if I'm not burning up.
  • Peteshaped
    Peteshaped Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The running machine is lower impact on my knees/feet than tarmac, which is where I'd be running if I wasn't indoors.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I like the control the treadmill gives me while I am doing HIIT
  • gobifree59
    gobifree59 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    ----it rains for a few days straight and can't get outside
    ---being self conscious about what you look like---I sweat profusely and look like a drowned rat! Of course, people at the gym see me that way too!
    ---I have to drive to get to some decent trails or paths to walk where it's safe

I think most people would choose to be outside if conditions were favorable.
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It's been over 100 for the last 60 days. Outside is torture
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Because the temp over the past month has been 100+ (before you add the 90% humidity). I did run outside a couple of days and it was miserable. The gym feels much better, and I can workout longer and harder. When it cools down I will start running and working outside again.
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    cornfields=scary as hell.. I avoid.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I live in Ireland. Enough said..
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    The sidewalks in my neighborhood suck and we live close to a high school and you hear about kids constantly running their cars off the road because of texting.
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Childcare, childcare, childcare. Try walking or running outside with a double stroller and two kids constantly needing you to stop and help with something. Not really exercise. I prefer an hour to myself to really get a good workout. Then if it's nice outside, I'll take the kids to the park!!
  • midcenturymodern69
    Options
    The highs are 109 degrees here and the lows are 85 degrees and have been for about two months. I have autoimmune disease (MS, septic inflammatory arthritis) and heat or extreme cold flares it for me. I definitely do my walking outside when it's nice out.
  • munchlaxx
    munchlaxx Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't live in a safe neighborhood. I feel a lot more secure being at the gym during my exercise routine.

I love hiking, but the nearest decent ones are hours away. :(
  • khenderson78
    Options
    My first thought was the OP obviously doesn't have kids....
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I do run outside when i get the chance, but with having a six month old, it usually takes up a lot of my day, along with college classes. Now, here is the thing, i don't own an elliptical, nor a a gym membership (i'm not driving a half hour to 45 minutes to go use the one at the college that has no childcare) and my bicycle is somewhere in the garage (it's tiny but we have a lot of things stored in it). My only way of strength training as of right now is the indoors, not to mention, I live in Ohio, mother nature changes daily, as well as the pollen issue with my asthma (we live in farm country), and no sidewalks and people drive down the roads at 55mph when it is only 25-35 because they think people don't live around here, as well as corn as far as the eye can see makes for a good horror movie which scares me when i run beside it at sundown.
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I already have to lift weights outside so yeah... I only do Cardio inside (elliptical & Insanity DVD's) when it's balls *kitten* hot outside. When it's mild, or during spring & fall I will always be on my bike miles away.

OT I love the Sandlot and especially the pool part

back to your regularly scheduled program err thread.
  • f1ctional
    f1ctional Posts: 235
    Options
    who cares where they do it, as long as they are doing it
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    It is too hot in summer in Florida for me anyways, that and if I am working out in my own home I can put everything I have into it and not fear looking like an idiot in front of the neighbours! lol Yes I am still pretty self conscious maybe as my weight drops and my fitness level increases I will feel more comfortable where the world can see me :)