cardio indoors - why?

Options

Replies

• Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    The only time I am able to work out is at 5 am, and I live in the South. Translated: dark at that time, hot, humid, snakes. 'Nough said!
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I know its also hard for me because the roads around me are narrow and there are no nearby trails or anything.
  • shara85
    shara85 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Good question, in all honesty, here it is:
    A) I have a gym in my building, it is free and I don't have to worry about lugging my bike down 6 flights of stairs, wearing a helmet, bringing a lock, or worrying about a taxi hitting me on the street (has happened before).
    B) I consider myself to be out of shape, and me running on a street would be laughable, I feel much more confident in a gym that hardly anyone uses, then out in public.
    C) I know exactly how many calories I have burned on a machine, rather then guessing if I go out.

Not to say fresh air isn't fantastic. I walk an hour a day outside to get to work, but these are my reasons why I prefer "working out" indoors.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    In before dude gets murdered for calling his wife an elephant!
  • ahlani
    ahlani Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I see your point and I'd much rather be outside too! /stares longingly out the window from my office desk

Several reasons here, not meaning for them to be excuses but these influence me to use my elliptical indoors:

I live in Fl, high heat at the time of day that I can exercise creates exposure to heat stroke.

Female, alone on the streets, is just asking for trouble (mate is local police, I know what happens and what/who is living nearby)

I limit my activity outdoors to times when I have someone to share it with me or to short trips around my immediate trusted neighbors when they are home.
  • EmmiDahling
    EmmiDahling Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have bad asthma and allergies. In the summer I have trouble with the air quality and humidity. In the fall I'm allergic to the mold that grows on fallen leaves (I know, it sounds ridiculous). In the spring I'm allergic to grass. The the winter the air is too cold and causes my lungs to freeze up. Maybe if I can get this weight off, my asthma will improve to the point I can exercise outside. I can't stand the thought of spending sooooo much money every month on a gym membership right now, and if I have to drive to get to my workout I'm not as likely to do it.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I like variety. Plus it's usually raining here in Ireland. I managed a run outside last night, then did 30DS this morning, and was planning a cycle ride this evening. But it looks like the rain's on for the rest of the day.
  • ShazMc73
    ShazMc73 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Where I live there are few places to go outdoors to safely work out. Not to mention, it's rainy season - that makes it tough to get out there too! If I book a spin class or head to the gym, I'l get my workout in. Yesterday I tried to meet a friend for a hill walk but the weather did not cooperate.

That's why.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options

lol she hasn't read it...... yet :smile:
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    For me, I need the structure. I'm not yet at the point where I can trust myself to work out independently so I stick to DVDs because I don't like the class selections at the nearby gyms. I'd work out outside if there were something organized (other than the boot camp programs which I tried but it was too intense for me and way too many people for the trainer so poor form was a huge issue for us beginners). I know that if I put a DVD on, I will finish it. If I set out to do 30min on machines, I get bored and pack it in. I also know that it's about 40 steps from my bed to my workout space. Rain, snow, ice...none of those impact my ability to walk those 40 steps so my routine doesn't need to change.

With that said, I do get outside on nice days. I walk at lunch when I have time or walk to the store. I despise running so walking is the only easy outdoor exercise for me.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I'm fat and I don't want people to see me run?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Actually, I think he called her a herd of elephants.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Good question - I ask myself the same thing! I'm a "data" person and really like the feedback of knowing exactly how long I exercised and approximate calories burned. Especially since I don't normally work out outside, I don't have any regular routes planned and know their distance, how challenging they will be, etc. So I am worried that I won't get as good of a workout. Also, I live in Northern VIrginia and I am always hearing on the news how women get attacked on running trails and it kind of scares me. Especially since I don't regularly use them, I don't know which ones are safe and which ones aren't safe.

That being said, I have integrated hiking into my workout routines. I get one in maybe once every two weeks (on my Friday off). Although it's been too hot during the summer to do it.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    When I do my cardio indoors, it is at 5 am. Our neighborhood has a lot of trees and a small river that comes close to the road and almost no lights. I can't see if there is anything or anyone in the trees. I feel it is safer to exercise inside than to be where I can't watch for danger.
  • Jigglebewie
    Jigglebewie Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have depression and social anxiety disorder and don't go out often. For me, I reallly don't like going out *gulps*. Although when I do see someone running, I really want to get out there or go for a walk on a beautiful day, just too.. worried to do that kind of thing as of now. With the indoor aerobics, I can get bored very easily, so I just started a new program and intending to get rid of my old dvd's.

When I'm more confident and feeling better in general I'll venture out. I can't wait for the day I can go out there and feel good =]
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    if it's a 100degree heat index then no thanks. late evenings right as the sun is going down are preferable for a good workout in the park. i honestly just prefer indoors though
  • erin023
    erin023 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have a daughter, I can't leave to house to get a work out in.
  • TheCurvyJ
    TheCurvyJ Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's how I want to do it and it works for me. It's also way more convenient.
  • heatherdawn007
    Options
    I do cardio at the gym because it forces me to have a habit - same time every day. I lift for 30-40 minutes and then add cardio on a machine at the end before heading to work. I have recently started running to the gym 3 or 4 days a week to get my cardio in outdoors since the weather is so nice. For me, asthma and allergies are a big reason why I don't do it all the time. If I can't breathe after a few minutes of running outside thanks to pollen and other allergens, it's not worth it. Also, last summer, I did insanity because we were living out of the country for work, and it was so hot and humid that things were sticking to me, even running at 6:30am.
  • The_Iron
    The_Iron Posts: 288
    Options
    I already have to lift weights outside so yeah... I only do Cardio inside (elliptical & Insanity DVD's) when it's balls *kitten* hot outside. When it's mild, or during spring & fall I will always be on my bike miles away.