cardio indoors - why?

Options

Replies

• tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure it's not 110 at 5AM in Texas. Just saying. I lived in the South, I was up as early as I needed to be to be able to run outside without suffering from heat illness.

I'm very fit and I finish all my runs in the summer dripping with sweat (yes my skirt needs to be wrung out). No it's not for everyone, but own that sweat. You worked hard for it. Don't be afraid of what people will think of you if you're drenched in sweat from head to toe.

Put me on a treadmill and it is instant dread. For all of you that run inside, I dare you to run outside this weekend. It is so much easier mentally, though I can't say the same for the physical aspect of it.

Got a kid, can't really leave a 2 year old at home to go running in the AM. Husband is already at work and daycare doesn't open up until 6:30 (when I need to start getting ready for work). I sure as heck am not waking her up that early or the rest of the day is spent with a tiny monster. :noway:

So yea, that doesn't really work for me either. The only time I have to run outdoors is in the evenings when it is still blistering hot. That being said, I do hit up the track in cooler months and much prefer to be out there.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Cuz it's around 98 degrees these days and humidity is sky high!
    Exactly this!! And as long as I'm working out, does it really matter where I do it?

Nope. And no one is telling you where to do it... I was merely asking you why you do it where you do it. Not everything is an accusation.

• thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Because I don't like people.
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,036 Member
    Options
    Whatever gets your heart pumping.

My preference is to be outside whenever possible. I live in AZ, but I'm still outside daily even if I have to wait for the sun to go down. You will also find me working out indoors too.

Mix it up and have fun doing it. Afterall, it's a lifestyle!
  • ShadowChaser16
    Options
    It could also be that some people don't have the knowledge or experience to go it 'alone'. The DVD or instructor gives them the structure and/or confidence to go through an entire routine.

That's exactly the way it is for me, I do better with someone telling me exactly what to do and motivating me. If I workout outside I'm always wondering, "Am I doing enough?"
  • risak
    risak Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Ok for all the people that live in Texas and are complaining about the heat index and such, this girl is from Texas and can exercise in hotter than heck any time of the day. Like I said in my previous post, I keep myself hydrated throughout the day and I think that helps. Come on my fellow Texans, I can't be the only one that can handle the heat and humidity.

This!!

People are using that lame excuse left and right. I workout outside in San Antonio at least three times a week.

yea well, I stay hydrated all day long and during workouts and still feel like I am going to stroke out after 15 minutes in this heat. So instead of risking that, I choose to work out indoors during summer months. Not working out at all would be "using a lame excuse"

Thank ye very much. :flowerforyou:

It's not a lame excuse. Some of us can't tolerate the horrible heat as well as others.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I dance for cardio, I dont thnk I want to do that where poeple can see me.. haha
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Ok for all the people that live in Texas and are complaining about the heat index and such, this girl is from Texas and can exercise in hotter than heck any time of the day. Like I said in my previous post, I keep myself hydrated throughout the day and I think that helps. Come on my fellow Texans, I can't be the only one that can handle the heat and humidity.

This!!

People are using that lame excuse left and right. I workout outside in San Antonio at least three times a week.

Good for you. Not everyone has the same tolerance for heat. I myself pass out in the heat just sitting there, not even doing anything.
  • Terryism
    Terryism Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'd love to do all my cardio outside, but it's 105 degrees and I have a 10 month old baby who hates to be hot and inherited my quick to sunburn skin. I do try to walk with him in his stroller as much as I can..
  • Terryism
    Terryism Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Because I don't like people.

Lol!
  • Rielyn
    Rielyn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would love to be outside ALL the time, unfortunately I'm a single Mom to two very young children and I can't pay a babysitter every time I want to workout. So that would be why I do videos. I take them for walks all the time but a 3 year old just can't keep up my pace, so it's more leisurely than anything.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I can't run continuously for more than a few minutes at a time. I walk and jog intermittently. When I see people jogging outside, they never seem to stop! I feel like everyones staring at me when I keep stopping every few minutes/seconds. So I don't bother running outside. Also, concrete roads hurt my knees and I can never figure out a way to carry my water bottle and a napkin with me when I'm running outside.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    it gives me something to do at lunch (i'm lucky - office has a gym). i work off a very busy road that has a speed limit of 55 and would never dream of running on it. weekends i get outside and run.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i almost spit my water out all over my monitor. LOL! i sweat like a pig too but for me it's less about the sweat and more about the fact that my face turns the color of the sun when i'm out running. it's not a burn either because i wear sunscreen - it just does. it's the irish in me and my rosacea. i have actually been stopped by people to make sure i was okay. LOL!
    I sweat like a pig and the last thing I want to do is be out in my neighborhood looking like I pissed myself. Also I don't live in the greatest of areas and there tend to be a lot of loose dogs running around, I don't want to get attacked just trying to get some fitness in my life. Someday I hope to not be quite so big and maybe the sweating won't be so bad, or maybe I just need to find better gear to wear. Those are just my reasons.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options

This!!

Good for you. Not everyone has the same tolerance for heat. I myself pass out in the heat just sitting there, not even doing anything.

It's not like they are using it as an excuse not to work out AT ALL. It is a reason for working out indoors.
  • SVallatini
    Options

This!!

It's not like they are using it as an excuse not to work out AT ALL. It is a reason for working out indoors.

I just wanted to know if there were any other Texans out there who could exercise in the heat and I got my answer. But whatever works for each person. Indoors or out as long as we are moving. My opinion of it is we can acclimate ourselves to it then it is possible to workout in extreme conditions. I myself find it a challenge to get out there and be able to play basketball or run in the extreme heat.
  • Ivana331
    Ivana331 Posts: 230
    Options
    I have two kids and I babysit as well. It is impossible for me to go out and run or whatever with that many kids, so it's safer and easier for me to workout in front of the tv.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I see all these posts about people doing various at home cardio DVDs (Jillian, insanity, whatever), or spending all this time on machines at the gym. I work at a gym and watch people line up for the cardio equipment on days when if FREAKING BEAUTIFUL outside.

Why?

If you're one of those people, why would you rather be inside in front of a TV or on an eliptical rather than being outside, getting some sun and fresh air? Why would you rather be on a treadmill than out running? Why would you rather be on an eliptical or a stepper rather than hiking? Why would you rather be on an exercise bike rather than an actual bike?

I'm not criticizing, just something I have never understood. I live in upstate NY where we have a pretty cold/snowy winter (yes, not as cold and snowy as some of you, but...) and I'd rather be outside running or biking in February than be inside on a treadmill or my trainer.

You don't have children do you? Many of us have to do cardio at home when our babies are asleep....we also don't always have the luxery of taking said babies out in the heat or cold. Oh, then there is always the issue of time...I only have an hour or two to lift and do cardio because I have babies to feed, a house to clean, dinner to cook and a full time job....driving an hour just to go hike isn't an option for me on a daily basis. Now if I had the option to do cardio outside all the time, weather permitting, I would. Right now it is so hot where I live, I still would rather workout in the gym or at home in the AC anyways.

Hasn't this been covered already? Oh, ok... we're on page 15 or something of this thread... I doubt I would have read all the posts either. But you didn't read my profile before making an assumption, either, did you?

As my profile indicates, I actually have 2 children.

Oh, I also have a full time job, and a house to clean, and all the rest. Thanks for being so condescending.

Obviously you have someone to watch said children. Not everyone is so lucky.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

This!!

I just wanted to know if there were any other Texans out there who could exercise in the heat and I got my answer. But whatever works for each person. Indoors or out as long as we are moving. My opinion of it is we can acclimate ourselves to it then it is possible to workout in extreme conditions. I myself find it a challenge to get out there and be able to play basketball or run in the extreme heat.

Exactly.

I do a fair bit of racing during the summer, and they don't call off the races because of heat. We had a stretch earlier this summer of 95+ and humid (hot for us) and I made it a point to get out and run/bike during the peak of the afternoon heat. People thought I was crazy, but I felt like I was missing the opportunity if I didn't. Pushing through it initially will make it easier as your body adapts.

• jacksonpt
    Options
    I see all these posts about people doing various at home cardio DVDs (Jillian, insanity, whatever), or spending all this time on machines at the gym. I work at a gym and watch people line up for the cardio equipment on days when if FREAKING BEAUTIFUL outside.

Why?

If you're one of those people, why would you rather be inside in front of a TV or on an eliptical rather than being outside, getting some sun and fresh air? Why would you rather be on a treadmill than out running? Why would you rather be on an eliptical or a stepper rather than hiking? Why would you rather be on an exercise bike rather than an actual bike?

I'm not criticizing, just something I have never understood. I live in upstate NY where we have a pretty cold/snowy winter (yes, not as cold and snowy as some of you, but...) and I'd rather be outside running or biking in February than be inside on a treadmill or my trainer.

You don't have children do you? Many of us have to do cardio at home when our babies are asleep....we also don't always have the luxery of taking said babies out in the heat or cold. Oh, then there is always the issue of time...I only have an hour or two to lift and do cardio because I have babies to feed, a house to clean, dinner to cook and a full time job....driving an hour just to go hike isn't an option for me on a daily basis. Now if I had the option to do cardio outside all the time, weather permitting, I would. Right now it is so hot where I live, I still would rather workout in the gym or at home in the AC anyways.

Hasn't this been covered already? Oh, ok... we're on page 15 or something of this thread... I doubt I would have read all the posts either. But you didn't read my profile before making an assumption, either, did you?

As my profile indicates, I actually have 2 children.

Oh, I also have a full time job, and a house to clean, and all the rest. Thanks for being so condescending.

Obviously you have someone to watch said children. Not everyone is so lucky.

Or maybe I just make the time rather than making excuses.