cardio indoors - why?

Options

Replies

• bberg0521
    bberg0521 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This isn't me personally, but I have alot of friends who get self conscious if they go on a jog, they feel like people who see them will make fun of them. I feel the same way though, if it's nice out why not get some fresh air and sun?

I am that way...I feel self conscious having people watch me work out.

Plus you can get your cardio in no matter what the weather. Or I can put my baby in his swing and work out. Its also a time thing too. I also feel that I burn more doing Jillian, Insantiy, whatever.

Its each individuals preference. As long as they get it in good for them.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I live in England, we don't very often have good weather! Plus when we do I get horrible hay fever. So for me working out indoors is just more preferable!
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Because it is like 110 outside! Oh yeah, and I am fat!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    ummm... Our peak temperatures are hotter than 100 degrees at least 6 months out of the year. Right now, it's over 90 when I leave my house at 7:30 in the morning.
  • klm1648
    klm1648 Posts: 4
    Options
    I love going walking outside. Especially if the weather is nice. I am not crowded by machines or a bunch of people, like the gym. It is a more calming atmosphere, plus I can see the road ahead of me, opposed to reading numbers on a machine.
  • EmiVReyes
    EmiVReyes Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I love running outside over running around the track in the gym. And i wish i could hike instead of do the elliptical inside all the time...unforunately i live in Oklahoma. It's been between 111-114 degrees for the past couple weeks. Even at 10 o'clock last night it was 104. and Oklahoma is flat so not much hiking for me unless i want to drive at least 45 minutes.

One day i'd like to live in less extreme heat area and some place that is good for hiking... but for now indoors at the YMCA is fine with me.
  • risak
    risak Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I see all these posts about people doing various at home cardio DVDs (Jillian, insanity, whatever), or spending all this time on machines at the gym. I work at a gym and watch people line up for the cardio equipment on days when if FREAKING BEAUTIFUL outside.

Why?

If you're one of those people, why would you rather be inside in front of a TV or on an eliptical rather than being outside, getting some sun and fresh air? Why would you rather be on a treadmill than out running? Why would you rather be on an eliptical or a stepper rather than hiking? Why would you rather be on an exercise bike rather than an actual bike?

I'm not criticizing, just something I have never understood. I live in upstate NY where we have a pretty cold/snowy winter (yes, not as cold and snowy as some of you, but...) and I'd rather be outside running or biking in February than be inside on a treadmill or my trainer.

At the moment it is because the humidity is so thick it feels like you are drinking the air not breathing it. Not to mention the issue of a safe place outside to do this. I'm hoping that fall and spring bring some good, get outside weather.

THIS ^^^ It's so effing hot and humid outside my dog doesn't even enjoy his walks right now. Also people are raped and murdered on some of the major running trails in my area enough to keep me from going on them at certain times.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I live in Massachusetts. The weather is actually beautiful maybe ten days a year. The rest of the time it is ether freezing out, hot and humid as hell or pouring rain. That and I don't like getting hit by cars.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm no good in the heat - won't run if it's above 70, won't walk alone if it's above 80. I've had bad experiences where I got so overheated I got chills and thought I was going to pass out. As long as I can get up and out early I'm good to go but even here in the Great Northeast, this time of year it gets hot really quickly once the sun comes up! The spring and fall are my fave seasons because I can be out for hours and be very comfortable!
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i liked when i had my treadmill in my living room cause i can watch tv and not think about the fact that i am working out
  • Prilla04
    Prilla04 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Because I work while it's beautiful and exercise when it's dark.
  • mommamisty823
    Options
    I run outside with my jogging stroller, but I do inside cardio too (videos). My husband and I work opposite shifts, and I live in a small town, there's no gym and my daughter (3) is too little to entertain herself if we go to the Y (there's no daycare staff there either). So unless I'm running with her in the stroller or want to leave her at home alone I don't have much of a choice.
    We do go out and do things (hiking...wich we have to drive an hour or more to do....Oklahoma is mostly flat plains where I am, swimming, etc.) as a family once in awhile, but on a day to day basis it's just not possible for us.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I'm no good in the heat - won't run if it's above 70, won't walk alone if it's above 80. I've had bad experiences where I got so overheated I got chills and thought I was going to pass out. As long as I can get up and out early I'm good to go but even here in the Great Northeast, this time of year it gets hot really quickly once the sun comes up! The spring and fall are my fave seasons because I can be out for hours and be very comfortable!

I once passed out waiting for my ride to come pick me up in 90+ degree heat. I was just sitting there waiting.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I see all these posts about people doing various at home cardio DVDs (Jillian, insanity, whatever), or spending all this time on machines at the gym. I work at a gym and watch people line up for the cardio equipment on days when if FREAKING BEAUTIFUL outside.

Why?

If you're one of those people, why would you rather be inside in front of a TV or on an eliptical rather than being outside, getting some sun and fresh air? Why would you rather be on a treadmill than out running? Why would you rather be on an eliptical or a stepper rather than hiking? Why would you rather be on an exercise bike rather than an actual bike?

I'm not criticizing, just something I have never understood. I live in upstate NY where we have a pretty cold/snowy winter (yes, not as cold and snowy as some of you, but...) and I'd rather be outside running or biking in February than be inside on a treadmill or my trainer.

You don't have children do you? Many of us have to do cardio at home when our babies are asleep....we also don't always have the luxery of taking said babies out in the heat or cold. Oh, then there is always the issue of time...I only have an hour or two to lift and do cardio because I have babies to feed, a house to clean, dinner to cook and a full time job....driving an hour just to go hike isn't an option for me on a daily basis. Now if I had the option to do cardio outside all the time, weather permitting, I would. Right now it is so hot where I live, I still would rather workout in the gym or at home in the AC anyways.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Why?

You don't have children do you? Many of us have to do cardio at home when our babies are asleep....we also don't always have the luxery of taking said babies out in the heat or cold. Oh, then there is always the issue of time...I only have an hour or two to lift and do cardio because I have babies to feed, a house to clean, dinner to cook and a full time job....driving an hour just to go hike isn't an option for me on a daily basis. Now if I had the option to do cardio outside all the time, weather permitting, I would. Right now it is so hot where I live, I still would rather workout in the gym or at home in the AC anyways.

Hasn't this been covered already? Oh, ok... we're on page 15 or something of this thread... I doubt I would have read all the posts either. But you didn't read my profile before making an assumption, either, did you?

As my profile indicates, I actually have 2 children.

Oh, I also have a full time job, and a house to clean, and all the rest. Thanks for being so condescending.
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    We've had record-breaking heat here this summer (actual temps of over 100, plus humidity), and I have a baby. I'll walk while pushing her in the stroller outside if it's cool, but don't want her to get overheated. Plus, traffic, etc. If indoors, the TV distracts me and helps me go longer. I do enjoy walking outside if it's still light and not a thousand degrees.....
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options

Why?

Hasn't this been covered already? Oh, ok... we're on page 15 or something of this thread... I doubt I would have read all the posts either. But you didn't read my profile before making an assumption, either, did you?

As my profile indicates, I actually have 2 children.

You're right....I didn't read the posts or your profile (I usually don't read people's profiles before responding...maybe I will start doing that). Sorry about that....but as I said, I'm busy, lol! I would bet that you have a partner helping with said kids, right? Not everyone does. I personally don't because my hubby is gone 5 days a week....just working out at all is challenging for me and I don't have a mountain to go hike in my back yard....time issues as I mentioned. It is also really hard with little babies....not saying that dads don't do what moms do, but in my house the baby is way more my responsibility at this age than dads. I am envious of the things you get to do by the way.....no disrespect meant at all.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Ok for all the people that live in Texas and are complaining about the heat index and such, this girl is from Texas and can exercise in hotter than heck any time of the day. Like I said in my previous post, I keep myself hydrated throughout the day and I think that helps. Come on my fellow Texans, I can't be the only one that can handle the heat and humidity.

This!!

People are using that lame excuse left and right. I workout outside in San Antonio at least three times a week.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Ok for all the people that live in Texas and are complaining about the heat index and such, this girl is from Texas and can exercise in hotter than heck any time of the day. Like I said in my previous post, I keep myself hydrated throughout the day and I think that helps. Come on my fellow Texans, I can't be the only one that can handle the heat and humidity.

This!!

People are using that lame excuse left and right. I workout outside in San Antonio at least three times a week.

yea well, I stay hydrated all day long and during workouts and still feel like I am going to stroke out after 15 minutes in this heat. So instead of risking that, I choose to work out indoors during summer months. Not working out at all would be "using a lame excuse"

Thank ye very much. :flowerforyou:
  • jeyko
    jeyko Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Cuz it's around 98 degrees these days and humidity is sky high!
    Exactly this!! And as long as I'm working out, does it really matter where I do it?