cardio indoors - why?

Options

Replies

• anberlingasm
    Options
    I'd rather be indoors because I don't want my flabby bits flabbing around in public, thanks very much.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Ok for all the people that live in Texas and are complaining about the heat index and such, this girl is from Texas and can exercise in hotter than heck any time of the day. Like I said in my previous post, I keep myself hydrated throughout the day and I think that helps. Come on my fellow Texans, I can't be the only one that can handle the heat and humidity.

This!!

People are using that lame excuse left and right. I workout outside in San Antonio at least three times a week.

Good for you. Not everyone has the same tolerance for heat. I myself pass out in the heat just sitting there, not even doing anything.

It's not like they are using it as an excuse not to work out AT ALL. It is a reason for working out indoors.

I just wanted to know if there were any other Texans out there who could exercise in the heat and I got my answer. But whatever works for each person. Indoors or out as long as we are moving. My opinion of it is we can acclimate ourselves to it then it is possible to workout in extreme conditions. I myself find it a challenge to get out there and be able to play basketball or run in the extreme heat.

Exactly.

I do a fair bit of racing during the summer, and they don't call off the races because of heat. We had a stretch earlier this summer of 95+ and humid (hot for us) and I made it a point to get out and run/bike during the peak of the afternoon heat. People thought I was crazy, but I felt like I was missing the opportunity if I didn't. Pushing through it initially will make it easier as your body adapts.

Not everyone was blessed with a body that adapts well to heat. I ended up moving away from Florida because I couldn't be out for more than 20 minutes without getting sunburn. I am never outside without long pants on and fully covered. I was born and raised in the South Florida heat yet never adapted and could not spend an extended period of time out in the sun without passing out. In high school I was exempted from gym class for this reason.

Don't assume everyone is making excuses.

Ok, you're right, I'm wrong. Is that what you want to hear?

I was agreeing with a previous post about training for the heat by training in the heat. No one here has said people who work out indoors are somehow inferior. Jesus man, I get it... I'm a horrible person for ever asking or commenting on anything.

Here is where you went wrong:

1. You assumed everyone has the same fundamental love for being outdoors as you.

2. You assumed everyone enjoys the traditional outdoors neighborhood cardio activities of running, bicycling, and other similar activities.

3. You assumed everyone had the same enjoyment for being around others as you.

Essentially, you made an assumption that everyone is fundamentally the same as you. In autism therapy one of the first things we learn is that the second you make that sort of assumption about people you are already wrong, every time. Where you see beauty someone else could see stress and ugliness. Where you see a friendly face someone else could see a face, and to them all faces are to be avoided. Where you feel comfortably warm, another person could feel unbearably hot or cold. And what you consider to be an enjoyable fitness activity, another person could see as something they'd rather beat their head against a wall than do. I know that if I had a choice between murdering myself doing nonstop burpees or going on a 20 minute "leisurely jog" I would take the burpees.

Where did I make an assumption? I asked why people would rather be indoors. Simple question, not a judgement. No different than asking how much protein you try to get in a day. A lot of people gave some really good answer. Some people, IMO, made excuses. Some people were *kitten*.

Welcome to the MFP forums. It comes with the territory.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    1) I live in a bad neighborhood. Nowhere to hike, for sure, and running... well, that usually indicates something bad has just happened. Not to mention trotting around in workout clothes is a decidedly bad idea.
    2) I LOVE my gym, the variety options that are offered, and the people in it.
    3) I work out much harder at the gym around other people or when instructed (like with a DVD) than when left to my own devices.

And even if I lived in a great place with lots of lovely outdoors to enjoy, as I used to, I might just choose to enjoy it rather than work out in it in every kind of weather. Or have a hike. As others have said, you may love the outdoors -- and have easy access to it -- and being outside in every kind of weather, but everyone's different in situation, preference, temperement (sp?), and circumstance.

Sorry -- it didn't seem like an innocent information-gathering question. There was judgment inherent in it which is why you've gotten some of the response you've gotten.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have no doubt that if I was exercising outside some jerk would yell something out of their window.
    Plus the gym is attached to my building, so it's close.

I also hate the heat.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same complaint. Why be inside when you could be out? I'm older. It's too hot out there. Or too cold, or windy, or too anything else. I was younger in hot humid places and don't remember it being a issue. But now that i'm older and my asthma got worse I can't stand the heat long. I want to be by the bathroom, too--i've had 4 babies and the plumbing is lose. I'll spare you the details. I have asthma and outdoor exercise is not so much fun when you can't breath, nor can you do it as long or well--again it's pollen, heat, wind, humidity, etc.... I still keep active outside gardening, walking, and biking, but I can be more efficient running on my treadmill and doing weights indoors. When I first started this weight loss this time around I was up to 10 minutes in my slippers and pajamas. Now i'm up to 3 miles with incline and intervals on the treadmill. I'm good with that. I'm much healthier and I can still get it done inside without a gym.
  • ribye
    ribye Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    more of a self conscious thing, feel awkward plus run really slow,
    also where I am so much of the year is just to cold to be out
  • MuscleJunkieK8
    Options
    Right now our towns average temp is about 104, with massive humidity, it would kill anyone to go running outside in this weather.In order to workout properly where I live, you need to drive to get to a decent park. I prefer to be outside, but when I can't then I make do with inside activities. Pretty sure that's what most other people will say as well.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I really do not see why it matters where they are exercising, AS LONG AS THEY ARE EXERCISING.

It doesn't, I was just curious. I'm a curious person, I ask a lot of "why" questions, I like to understand. Not everything is an accusation or a judgement, sometimes it's just a question.

Okay, it just seemed to me that your post was very judgmental, but if I took it that way and you did not mean it that way, its on me.
    To all of the people that feel like they need to get into it and turn this thread into fight, well that crap is on you. You do not owe anyone an explanation of anything you do period. If this thread is getting you to the point where you feel you have to lash out, well is that just undoing all the good eating and exercising you have done?

Dont worry, be happy. :)
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I really do not see why it matters where they are exercising, AS LONG AS THEY ARE EXERCISING.

It doesn't, I was just curious. I'm a curious person, I ask a lot of "why" questions, I like to understand. Not everything is an accusation or a judgement, sometimes it's just a question.

:) I took it as just a question, as I ask alot of why questions too and like to see others opinions on things as it might give me some ideas to change up and do something new. Just not at this time for future reference :P When I feel comfortable in my own skin.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Anyway as I mentioned before today I did go out and work out outdoors. I went through a workout utilizing my suspension trainer, a park bench, and a jump rope. And because of how working out in the heat decreased my performance, reducing the intensity I was able to work out at, I feel my workout was wasted. I exercise purely for functional benefit. I do not enjoy any of the things I do to work out or really any form of exercise. By working out outdoors today I saw less results from today's workout. Less calorie burn, less strength gain, less everything. So in my case I was foolish to do it. Lesson learned.
  • Celestialfairie
    Options
    I see all these posts about people doing various at home cardio DVDs (Jillian, insanity, whatever), or spending all this time on machines at the gym. I work at a gym and watch people line up for the cardio equipment on days when if FREAKING BEAUTIFUL outside.

Why?

If you're one of those people, why would you rather be inside in front of a TV or on an eliptical rather than being outside, getting some sun and fresh air? Why would you rather be on a treadmill than out running? Why would you rather be on an eliptical or a stepper rather than hiking? Why would you rather be on an exercise bike rather than an actual bike?

I'm not criticizing, just something I have never understood. I live in upstate NY where we have a pretty cold/snowy winter (yes, not as cold and snowy as some of you, but...) and I'd rather be outside running or biking in February than be inside on a treadmill or my trainer.

Because my doctors tell me not to due to my joints and whatnot. Heck, I'm not even supposed to do much indoors, other than on an elliptical. Or else I'd love to run outside!
  • gabeej
    gabeej Posts: 45
    Options
    It very rarely rains in the gym, the walk back from the gym is the same as the walk to the gym, I don't have to worry about sweating off my sunscreen, there is less chance of being raped, and I like it.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I see all these posts about people doing various at home cardio DVDs (Jillian, insanity, whatever), or spending all this time on machines at the gym. I work at a gym and watch people line up for the cardio equipment on days when if FREAKING BEAUTIFUL outside.

Why?

If you're one of those people, why would you rather be inside in front of a TV or on an eliptical rather than being outside, getting some sun and fresh air? Why would you rather be on a treadmill than out running? Why would you rather be on an eliptical or a stepper rather than hiking? Why would you rather be on an exercise bike rather than an actual bike?

I'm not criticizing, just something I have never understood. I live in upstate NY where we have a pretty cold/snowy winter (yes, not as cold and snowy as some of you, but...) and I'd rather be outside running or biking in February than be inside on a treadmill or my trainer.

Because my doctors tell me not to due to my joints and whatnot. Heck, I'm not even supposed to do much indoors, other than on an elliptical. Or else I'd love to run outside!

I know all about that =( I've been under Dr's orders ever since I was 13 years old not to spend too much time outdoors in direct sunlight. It's why I gave up swimming, the one physical activity I was passionate about, when I was a kid. No access to indoor pools and no access to pools after dark.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I feel like people driving by are staring at me and I don't like it. When I lose more weight I will do more outside.

As for hiking its almost hunting season I don't want to worry about some dumbass who shoots first and then checks. And gas is expensive.

Oh and I don't tan I fry. I will get blisters that bleed. I would rather work out inside for as long as I can then to have to go in after awhile out of fear of being burned so bad that I am in tears. Working out outside is not worth it or the cancer I may get.
    Don't tell me go put sun block on I have and I still ended up burned.
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Well in the beginning and still now I am very self conscious about anyone seeing me exercise, even if it is just walking outside but especially running.
    But also I have a 3 1/2yr old and usually get a chance to do any exercise when she is sleeping. But I have become a little less self conscious lately but it's been over 100degrees everyday forever now lol so that has something to do with it also lol
  • dbarchus
    dbarchus Posts: 42
    Options
    I have a Precor at home, and I live in next to a state park. I mix it up. Sometimes I have to combine work with exercise to get my day in before bed. Those are days the computer goes up on the book rest and I plow through my cardio and backlog....and the dog goes up onto the treadmill which sits right next to the Precor.

Other days, I'm able to get in some cardio while watching TV with the family, who aren't always on my save workout schedule.

Sometimes it just too darn cold or raining, but I don't want to miss my daily walk.

Then again, maybe I'm doing a yoga workout....trust me, it's rarely pleasant to do outdoors.

Then I have the days when I take the dog for walk around the county back roads or a run her on the horse trails in the state park. Sometimes, I'm really lucky and my husband can join us. :)))))

Perhaps you might want to rethink your judgement of people, since you really don't know what else is going on in their life, and perhaps they combine their indoor cardio with outdoor when you can't see them....and then again, perhaps they are like my husband who likes to do everything in a social setting and they just like having the human interaction and motivation while they work out.

What difference does it make, thank GOD they are working out instead of sitting on the sofa watching TV and getting fat!!!!!
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I feel like people driving by are staring at me and I don't like it. When I lose more weight I will do more outside.

As for hiking its almost hunting season I don't want to worry about some dumbass who shoots first and then checks. And gas is expensive.

Oh and I don't tan I fry. I will get blisters that bleed. I would rather work out inside for as long as I can then to have to go in after awhile out of fear of being burned so bad that I am in tears. Working out outside is not worth it or the cancer I may get.
    Don't tell me go put sun block on I have and I still ended up burned.

When I was 13 years old I went to a water park and my parents only packed SPF 30 even though I generally need something stronger. I ended up burning so badly I had to go to the ER and they said the burns were as severe as the kind sustained by people in house fires and would leave permanent scarring. I had to spend 2 months indoors recovering having my dressing changed three times a day. I had to take three cold showers a day which tore chunks of burned flesh off me and that hurt like hell. Not cool. They told me after that I could never go shirtless in the sun again and I would have to limit sun exposure for the rest of my life due to my extreme risk for skin cancer.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

Why?

Because it's 41C with like 1000% humidity. There's no way I'd enjoy working out in that.

I'm nowhere near anyplace that I enjoy hiking, to be honest. Besides that, hiking and bike riding every isn't something that everyone can do, realistically. It's great that you can, but everyone has different tastes and desires and no one has any right to judge them for it.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options

I do both, sometimes it's too hot to run outside comfortably. Also, I like seeing my progress. If I know I need to run 4 miles, the treadmill tells me when I have done that, and how fast I did it. and the convenience, like being able to do it at any time of the day or night.
  • jane2436
    jane2436 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For me its a safety issue. I've been followed before etc and I just can't relax enough to enjoy my runs when I'm worrying about who might jump out of the bushes. I find I'm too paranoid about who is around or following me and its just no fun. At home on my treadmill I can zone out and get in that meditation zone without worrying about some creep around the corner. Maybe that's dumb, but its how I feel. Oh, and our landlord won't let us have a dog, if he would, I'd get a big dog to run with outside...I've been followed and harassed a number of times throughout my life so its not just all in my head.