• isis2triple0
    isis2triple0 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    popcorn.gif
    LMAO!!!!! Love it!!!
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    There was a challenge on here about 6 months ago, to do 200 crunches a day. I started the challenge and I'm still doing it. My belly is down - from two different tape measurers, and from the pinch test. I'm down 1.4 inch in my belly and waist ONLY. Call it what you want, 1.4 inches is 1.4 inches. If I ever decide to do something besides slow walking I'm sure I will get great results. I used a body blade ONLY for four months 2 years ago and got my arms down 1/2 inch in four months. My daughter did the same thing, using the blade only, and because she is young I guess, she got a whole inch down in the arms.

Did you happen to take before and after measurements anywhere else on your body? Evidence please or you can't really say "ONLY" can you? Aside from the point, if you do those 200 crunches in one set your heart rate is probably up and burning calories. I'm not saying it didn't work. Like everyone else, I'm saying that you didn't hack off 1.4 inches of stomach fat with absolutely no other physical changes. It is illogical and impossible.

This has actually started other threads from people confused over the amount of crap information being dished out.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    beat_dead_horse2.jpg
    :laugh:
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    You can tone areas up by building muscle in said areas. When people say "you can't spot reduce" they mean that doing crunches over and over WILL NOT burn the fat off your stomach (I mean unless you incorporate into a cardio routine- now we're talking) It will only build up muscle so that it may look like you are slimmer but to lose that fat you have to do cardio and eat clean.

Of course you need to eat clean and burn fat with cardio, but you can build muscle in certain "spots" to improve the amount of muscle vs. fat in those spots.

I just hear so many people so frustrated with certain spots on their bodies and people are not giving them helpful info regarding how they can improve those spots.

You are stating two different things.

1. You can build muscle in only one area by training those muscles. True.

2. You can spot reduce. Not true. If you are only working on one muscle, but are not incorporating cardio/dieting, that spot will not reduce. In fact, it may get bigger. Those "spots" look better because you are burning fat all over (not spot reducing) and toning muscle in those "spots".
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :laugh:
    dis-gon-b-gud.gif
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    innerfatgirls profile picture gave me googly eyes
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I may get a lot of crap for this, but I am so tired of people saying you cannot spot reduce.
    When someone asks, how can I lose inches off my stomach or asks for good arm exercises, please do not response "you cannot spot reduce".
    Weight training and programs like the 30 Day Shred really do help you "spot reduce", You can lose inches in particular spots by doing particular exercises. Otherwise, why to we kill ourselves with push ups and crunches? It is because they work.
    I have done 30 Day Shred several times and a lot of inches in places that were focuses on during the workouts.
    Another example, if I only weight train with my arms and not my legs, I will see a big difference in my arm "spots" lol, and not my legs.
    There is hope! You just have to work for it!

Wrong. You can't spot reduce. You can lose weight and expose muscle. You can tone muscle in specific places. Do it all. But you can't just lose weight in one place. Moreover, the troublesome places tend to lean out last. Sorry.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    This again? Really?

RollingEyesGIF.gif
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    innerfatgirls profile picture gave me googly eyes

Ha!
  • cmtkayla
    Options
    I agree with you. You can spot reduce and I can speak from personal experience. Also read this and tell me you can't spot reduce. http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/spot_reduction_is_real_heres_how_to_do_it
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    This again? Really?

RollingEyesGIF.gif

This needs to be repeated....
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    This again? Really?

RollingEyesGIF.gif

This needs to be repeated....

I love this animated GIF. The guy's expression is priceless! :laugh:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. You can spot reduce and I can speak from personal experience. Also read this and tell me you can't spot reduce. http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/spot_reduction_is_real_heres_how_to_do_it

Before anyone gets excited about this article, I would suggest reading the following that basically indicates the incredibly low efficacy of this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/are-blood-flow-and-lipolysis-in-subcutaneous-adipose-tissue-influenced-by-contractions-in-adjacent-muscle-in-humans-research-review.html

Cliffnotes:

"Summing Up

And, so far as I’m concerned, that should be the death knell for the idea of spot reduction. Yes, there appears to be an effect whereby working a given muscle impacts on local fat cell metabolism but the effect is completely and utterly irrelevant in quantatitive terms. The amount of fat mobilized due to increased hormones or blood flow is simply insignificant to anything in the real world.

There is also the fact that, compared to something like full body cardio types of activities, local single muscle group activities burn tiny amounts of calories. Doing cardio for 30 minutes at even a reasonable caloric burn of 5 cal/minute (very easy) burns 150 calories. If you get say 90% fat utilization for fuel, you’ve burned 15 grams of fat. Compared to the 0.1 gram you might mobilize doing crunches or leg lifts.

As well, the whole body activity will impact on fuel utilization and hormones in ways that much more massively impact on lipolysis and blood flow. Simply, spending an hour doing localized exercise pales in comparison to the fat loss effects of even moderate cardio. Wasting time with ab or buns/thighs classes is simply a waste of time in terms of any sort of local fat reduction."
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    If you want to spot reduce your brain then read every post in this thread along with the last one posted.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    If you want to spot reduce your brain then read every post in this thread along with the last one posted.

Would you like to expand on why you think the post is 'brain cell reducing"? Do you disagree with Lyle McDonalds conculsions in the article I posted?
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options

Would you like to expand on why you think the post is 'brain cell reducing"? Do you disagree with Lyle McDonalds conculsions in the article I posted?

I agree with Lyle Mcdonalds, and he's written some solid guides. I just wanted to rustle your jimmies lol. The idea of spot reduction is extremely silly even without researching it. Have you seen anyone with really cut abs and a huge fat butt? Or someone with really huge thighs and cut abs or vice versa. Spot reduction is just false, and is an idea that is sold by industries who make products that don't work. You don't need a ridiculous looking ab machine to get abs. Or the good ole yohimbine creme to lose fat locally. Like someone pointed out here, their face lost fat first then other body parts followed. Or other people when they lost weight, the stomach was the last area that they lost fat. If you want to spot reduce then you will have a better chance of doing that by using lyposuction. Weight training is an example that spot reduction doesn't work. If that were to be the case then you will see a lot of defined power lifters. If anyone claims they lost weight in their arms from lifting weights then they are most likely confusing the "pump" effect from all the blood rushing through their muscles after a workout with lost fat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I agree with Lyle Mcdonalds, and he's written some solid guides. I just wanted to rustle your jimmies lol. The idea of spot reduction is extremely silly even without researching it. Have you seen anyone with really cut abs and a huge fat butt? Or someone with really huge thighs and cut abs or vice versa. Spot reduction is just false, and is an idea that is sold by industries who make products that don't work. You don't need a ridiculous looking ab machine to get abs. Or the good ole yohimbine creme to lose fat locally. Like someone pointed out here, their fat lost fat first then other body parts followed. Or other people when they lost weight, the stomach was the last area that they lost. If you want to spot reduce then you will have a better chance of doing that by using lyposuction.

I agree with him, which is why I posted one of his articles. I am surpised that you do as you specifically called out my post, even though you say all of them do, as reducing peoples brain cells and I find it interesting (if slightly distrubing) that you agree with my post. So, why don't we agree not to 'rustle each others jimmies' as you say, particularly on threads that we actually agree with each other on.

Edited to fix some grammar.
  • wayned22
    wayned22 Posts: 10
    Options
    I am making my first post due to the utter insanity of this topic. The very definition of "spot reduce" goes against every single known biological fact and study having to do with body composition and how the body accumulates/stores fat and how one rids themselves of "fat". Please someone stop this insanity. ;)
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Some people think they can spot reduce when their body is already predisposed to lose weight in certain areas faster than other areas. As an example I always lose weight off my waist fast but I know that isnt spot reducung but others have commented that it was. Nope , but if I could I would spot reduce my thighs, lol
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options

I agree with Lyle Mcdonalds, and he's written some solid guides. I just wanted to rustle your jimmies lol. The idea of spot reduction is extremely silly even without researching it. Have you seen anyone with really cut abs and a huge fat butt? Or someone with really huge thighs and cut abs or vice versa. Spot reduction is just false, and is an idea that is sold by industries who make products that don't work. You don't need a ridiculous looking ab machine to get abs. Or the good ole yohimbine creme to lose fat locally. Like someone pointed out here, their fat lost fat first then other body parts followed. Or other people when they lost weight, the stomach was the last area that they lost. If you want to spot reduce then you will have a better chance of doing that by using lyposuction.

I agree with him, which is why I posted one of his articles. I am surpised that you do as you specifically called out my post, even though you say all of them do, as reducing peoples brain cells and I find it interesting (if slightly distrubing) that you agree with my post. So, why don't we agree not to 'rustle each others jimmies' as you say, particularly on threads that we actually agree with each other on.

Edited to fix some grammar.

Im a child inside as you already know lol. I agree with your post and its accurate!