You CAN Spot Reduce

Options

Replies

• bradstein
    Options
    A 2006 study published in the American Journal of Physiology seemed to indicate that spot reduction may be possible, although to what degree is unclear. In the study, conducted at the University of Copenhagen (Denmark), scientists had male subjects perform single-leg extensions with light weight for 30 consecutive minutes. The researchers then measured the amount of blood flow to the subjects' subcutaneous fat cells in both the exercising and resting thighs, as well as the amount of lipolysis from those fat cells. The scientists observed increases in blood flow and lipolysis in the exercising leg when compared to the resting leg. The study suggested that during exercise, body fat is preferentially used from the area being trained.

"Are blood flow and lipolysis in subcutaneous adipose tissue influenced by contractions in adjacent muscles in humans?". Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab. 292 (2): E394–9. February 2007. doi:10.1152/ajpendo.00215.2006. PMID 16985258.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    A 2006 study published in the American Journal of Physiology seemed to indicate that spot reduction may be possible, although to what degree is unclear. In the study, conducted at the University of Copenhagen (Denmark), scientists had male subjects perform single-leg extensions with light weight for 30 consecutive minutes. The researchers then measured the amount of blood flow to the subjects' subcutaneous fat cells in both the exercising and resting thighs, as well as the amount of lipolysis from those fat cells. The scientists observed increases in blood flow and lipolysis in the exercising leg when compared to the resting leg. The study suggested that during exercise, body fat is preferentially used from the area being trained.

"Are blood flow and lipolysis in subcutaneous adipose tissue influenced by contractions in adjacent muscles in humans?". Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab. 292 (2): E394–9. February 2007. doi:10.1152/ajpendo.00215.2006. PMID 16985258.
    Cool, so all one has to do is to stay on a machine or exercise lifting a light weight for 30 minutes, or more with just one limb and they will increase lypolysis with no clear degree of fat loss.
    And that's from a male. I would guess a female would be less.
    I remember this article and really how realistic is a person going to do this on a daily basis? Especially with no measure of how much fat is actually being lost?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Cool, so all one has to do is to stay on a machine or exercise lifting a light weight for 30 minutes, or more with just one limb and they will increase lypolysis with no clear degree of fat loss.
    I remember this article and really how realistic is a person going to do this on a daily basis? Especially with no measure of how much fat is actually being lost?

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Suggested reading that covers this study :
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/are-blood-flow-and-lipolysis-in-subcutaneous-adipose-tissue-influenced-by-contractions-in-adjacent-muscle-in-humans-research-review.html
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    No. You can't. But thanks for playing.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa72.htm
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    2 different people above you told you WHY you can't.

All you are doing is toning up the muscles. To get rid of the actual fat, to reduce the fat you have to have cardio and clean eat. Crunches and weights build muscle..

Actually, to lose body fat all you have to do is eat at a deficit. That's the key. The only key. Cardio has zero to do with it. But I really just wanted to get in for the show.

Ugh. No show. Zombie thread resurrected.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP. You CAN spot reduce. Liposuction is the way.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    LOL the part that i find funny in your post OP is that you use 30 Day Shred as an example of spot reducing while Jillian Michaels says herself you cannot spot reduce.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Suggested reading that covers this study :
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/are-blood-flow-and-lipolysis-in-subcutaneous-adipose-tissue-influenced-by-contractions-in-adjacent-muscle-in-humans-research-review.html
    Thanks for the link. Now if humans could actually live 1000 years in a life time, then this method would be gold.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:laugh:
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    LOL the part that i find funny in your post OP is that you use 30 Day Shred as an example of spot reducing while Jillian Michaels says herself you cannot spot reduce.

Actually, Jillian says that if you want a flat tummy, you need to do certain crunches. She also uses the word "tone". I try not to listen to her talk.

Oh hey, is the unicorn cream vegan?
  • chellebublz
    Options
    Actually, Jillian says that if you want a flat tummy, you need to do certain crunches. She also uses the word "tone". I try not to listen to her talk.

But again, that's not spot reducing that's building muscle. In her book, she says "You can't spot reduce fat. Not on your abs, buns, thighs, or any other place on your physique that you seek to transform. To tone up your problem areas, you have to first reduce your overall body fat, which means high-intensity training combined with clean eating and spot-specific exercises to condition the muscle under the fat." So she doesn't advocate spot reducing, people are just mis-interpreting what she says in her videos because they don't understand what is and isn't spot reducing. Toning isn't the same thing as reducing fat..
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    She didn't write the book.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

But again, that's not spot reducing that's building muscle. In her book, she says "You can't spot reduce fat. Not on your abs, buns, thighs, or any other place on your physique that you seek to transform. To tone up your problem areas, you have to first reduce your overall body fat, which means high-intensity training combined with clean eating and spot-specific exercises to condition the muscle under the fat." So she doesn't advocate spot reducing, people are just mis-interpreting what she says in her videos because they don't understand what is and isn't spot reducing. Toning isn't the same thing as reducing fat..

To clarify, you do not need to do HIIT or eat clean or do spot specific exercises to lose body fat. It comes from a caloric deficit.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

This has already been provided, but this summary from there may help put it into context:

Let me put that in context. First let’s assume that you’re carying a whopping 5 kg (11.1 pounds) of fat in a specific area.

If local exercise can mobilize 0.6-2.1 milligrams of fat per 100 grams of fat mass, that works out to:
    0.6-2.1 mg/100 grams * 1000 grams/kg * 5 kg = 30-105 milligrams of fat.
    Or 0.03-0.1 gram of extra fat mobilized in 30 minutes of activity.

Now, a single pound of fat (0.454 kg) contains about 400 grams of fat so our hypothetical 11.1 pounds of fat contains 4,440 grams of fat. And 30 minutes of local activity mobilized at most 0.1 gram of fat. Whoo hoo. You’ll be ripped in about 1000 years.
  • spiritedsaviour
    spiritedsaviour Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am making my first post due to the utter insanity of this topic. The very definition of "spot reduce" goes against every single known biological fact and study having to do with body composition and how the body accumulates/stores fat and how one rids themselves of "fat". Please someone stop this insanity. ;)

:laugh: :drinker:

Please won't somebody think of the children!!:laugh:
  • chellebublz
    Options
    Well yes, I'm not saying that every thing Jillian says is right. The OP used 30DS as example of spot reducing, when there is plenty of examples out there of Jillian stating its not possible to spot reduce fat. That is just one quote from her book from an interview on usatoday, whether she wrote the book or not, she doesn't support spot reducing and she says so in Ripped in 30 if I'm not mistaken.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Well yes, I'm not saying that every thing Jillian says is right. The OP used 30DS as example of spot reducing, when there is plenty of examples out there of Jillian stating its not possible to spot reduce fat. That is just one quote from her book from an interview on usatoday, whether she wrote the book or not, she doesn't support spot reducing and she says so in Ripped in 30 if I'm not mistaken.

Jillian needs to stop sending mixed messages. :tongue:
  • DostThouEven
    Options

This has already been provided, but this summary from there may help put it into context:

Let me put that in context. First let’s assume that you’re carying a whopping 5 kg (11.1 pounds) of fat in a specific area.

If local exercise can mobilize 0.6-2.1 milligrams of fat per 100 grams of fat mass, that works out to:
    0.6-2.1 mg/100 grams * 1000 grams/kg * 5 kg = 30-105 milligrams of fat.
    Or 0.03-0.1 gram of extra fat mobilized in 30 minutes of activity.

Now, a single pound of fat (0.454 kg) contains about 400 grams of fat so our hypothetical 11.1 pounds of fat contains 4,440 grams of fat. And 30 minutes of local activity mobilized at most 0.1 gram of fat. Whoo hoo. You’ll be ripped in about 1000 years.

I opened this thread, decided to skip to the last page, read this, and was like "Oh, somebody got owned"
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    ZOMBIE thread!!
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m4a0yxV7pf1r3we6jo1_500.png