Please stop microwaving your food

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I'm off to read about real vs fake butter. discuss.

The latest must-read! *goes off in search...*
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I was told (by my elderly relative) that the reason you leave the food for a minute after you take it out of the microwave is to let any left over microwaves escape, that way it is perfectly safe to eat!
    Well I think that settles that discussion!
    :explode:

ROFL old people rule.

This reminds me of my grandparents. My uncle gave them a microwave for Christmas a while back, and they used it as a bread box for years!
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    lol this thread is just.. wow

doesnt matter how the heck you cook or heat up your food. Calories in vs calories out. Throw in a multi vitamin if youre so worried.

This^^
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    ok its one thing heating up already cooked food in a microwave but surely nobody would cook with one.

There are entire cookbooks dedicated to cooking with a microwave. Joy Of Cooking puts in microwave directions for a lot of foods, too. It's a fast, easy way to cook stuff, so why not?
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I can't say I would be lost without my microwave, but when we had our extension build i couldn't use the kitchen for 4 months, I had to cook for 6 using the microwave, it was ok but we were really sick of baked beans, baked potatoes and soup at the end!
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    LOL... no I'm not trolling. And yes any heat denatures food. My point was the that microwaves heats up food so quickly to point that it becomes useless from nutritional standpoint. You get more nutrients out of food cooked slowly than microwaved food. And I said most nutrients not all.
    And if you can microwave food, why can't you microwave water?

And the plant test.. we actually did this in H.S and I did it myself at home before I gave up microwaves and the water was cooled down before applying to the plant. I don't know anyone that would put hot water on a plant. Like everything in life.. to each their own and follow what you believe.

I didn't start this thread to argue or anything like that by any means.
    I respect all your viewpoints as I hope you would respect mine.. even if you disagree.

I do believe what you're saying, however I said it to my brother (he's doing science in university) and he asked, during the plant experiments, did anyone ever think to ALSO apply water which had been boiled on a hob then cooled down also, to rule out that water which has been boiled & then cooled down is what is killing the plants, & not the microwave?
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Bump

I'm off to read about real vs fake butter. discuss.

Start a new thread on butter versus fake butter- I'm up for this! :flowerforyou:
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    what i want to know is why the bowl or plate or what ever is allways 100* hotter than what is in it??

^^^^This!

Microwaves vibrate the molecules of water within the food, creating energy in the form of heat since their frequencies match. The container does not contain molecules of water.

Thank you, some science that even I can understand.
    I needed that.

Is it ok to say that you lot seem to have a lot of time on your hands, as I have spent a lot of mine reading this thread, when I really should have been exercising... Though on the positive I also haven't gotten round to eating either.

I am in no way qualified to respond to the argument, but for what it's worth, I eat so much of my food raw maybe I'll avoid the issue.
    And thanks for an interesting morning.
    :flowerforyou:
    That's a good explanation of why a container wouldn't get hot, but the question was why the container seems hotter than the food. The answer is simple, heat transfer. Heat always travels to cold. So as the food gets hot, the heat in the food transfers to the container the food is sitting on/in. How hot the container gets compared to the food depends on how good an insulator the container is, that's why Pyrex (a great insulator) gets much hotter than a paper plate, because it retains much more of the heat transferred from the food.
  • owyn999
    owyn999 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    X-rays are ionizing radiation. Microwaves are non-ionizing radiation. Do you understand that basic difference? Then add in the fact that microwaves were discovered about 40 years before x-rays, and have been studied longer than x-rays, and your entire argument fails to prove any kind of point.

Do you think the initial users of X-rays understood the difference? Hard to think they deliberately gave themselves cancer. My point is that a lack of evidence that something is dangerous is not evidence that it is safe, especially the newer something is. There are no studies that prove microwave ovens are harmless in the long run. Tobacco was dangerous before studies proved it. Personally I'm not going to stop using them, I just think the OP's choice is perfectly valid.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    What do the initial users have to do with anything? I don't base my knowledge on what the people who discovered x-rays and microwaves 150 years ago knew, I base my knowledge on what scientists have learned since then. Radiation is one of the most heavily studied topics in science, particularly since the 1940's. Yes, we know what is safe, and what isn't safe, and we know the difference between ionizing radiation and nonionizing radiation.

I have no idea what your post was supposed to argue. People accidentally. Ironed themselves to death when we first discovered fire as well, should we not use fire at all now because they didn't know better back then?

And it's not about the OP's "choice," nobody cares whether anybody chooses to use a microwave or not, the problem is the flat out misinformation that the OP is trying to pass off as true, and the condescending "soap box rant" attitude these falsities were delivered with.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    just checking in, anyone suffering from their 'waves? good news bad news? anything to report? :)

:drinker:
  • YoshiZelda
    YoshiZelda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    No.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    just checking in, anyone suffering from their 'waves? good news bad news? anything to report? :)

Good news - Mine did an awesome job of cooking my egg whites this morning. It also most satisfactorily warmed up a cup of cold coffee. I ate and drank the above and neither of them blew up or killed me.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Good news - Mine did an awesome job of cooking my egg whites this morning. It also most satisfactorily warmed up a cup of cold coffee. I ate and drank the above and neither of them blew up or killed me.

Phew. Thanks. Glad to hear. I'll tell my pretend celebrity friend on face book Mario Batali so he can have ABC news run the story.
  • ocarinaoftimid
    Options
    Microwaves make your food no better than the plastic container you nuked them in.

Hrmmm....nah. I'll stick with my plastic-y food.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Just to put an end to this ridiculous "tinfoil hat" stuff, here's an article about the use of microwave ovens, complete with references to numerous studies which debunk all the hysteria:

http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2011/07/what-science-really-says-about-microwave-ovens.php
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    hahahahah! Good one! Also, cell phones give you cancer, better throw em in the trash.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Sorry but to be honest, I find this all BS!

Can you site a more credible source to this one aside from those high school textbooks you mentioned?