Please stop microwaving your food

Options

Replies

• tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Dear internet,

Please do the world a favor and start paying attention in HS chemistry.

Love,
    Melba

(P.S. But really, stop microwaving plastic. Otherwise, go nuts.)
  • lusciousladie07
    lusciousladie07 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Total, complete and utter nonsense. Microwaves work on the principal of exciting the electrons in water molecules. They do not change the structure in any way, they simply cause the molecule to vibrate, generating friction, which, in turn, causes heat. The more water in a substance heated in a microwave oven, the more quickly it will heat. A microwave oven will not irradiate food or alter it's structure in any way. The originator of this thread and anyone who believes this nonsense is an idiot deficient in basic scientific literacy. If you don't believe me, consult www.snopes.com, or ask your local high school science teacher.

Ok..please answer this. what is causing the exciting of electrons is water? And whatever source you provide for this excitement..How does it know to only excite the electrons in water and not the electrons in the molecules that make up the food?
    And please.. If am required to post peer reviewed sources for my position, then please do the same. Snopes is not peer reviewed.
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm a college student...if I didn't have a microwave, I'd probably starve to death (or eat only cold food all the time, which gets real old real fast).
  • thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Total, complete and utter nonsense. Microwaves work on the principal of exciting the electrons in water molecules. They do not change the structure in any way, they simply cause the molecule to vibrate, generating friction, which, in turn, causes heat. The more water in a substance heated in a microwave oven, the more quickly it will heat. A microwave oven will not irradiate food or alter it's structure in any way. The originator of this thread and anyone who believes this nonsense is an idiot deficient in basic scientific literacy. If you don't believe me, consult www.snopes.com, or ask your local high school science teacher.

Ok..please answer this. what is causing the exciting of electrons is water? And whatever source you provide for this excitement..How does it know to only excite the electrons in water and not the electrons in the molecules that make up the food?
    And please.. If am required to post peer reviewed sources for my position, then please do the same. Snopes is not peer reviewed.

http://www.rps.psu.edu/probing/microwave.html

Here's another http://suite101.com/article/how-do-microwave-ovens-work-a35365
  • lusciousladie07
    Options
    This is getting to be a bit too much. And I won't put up with being called an idiot. I was in no way trying to dictate anyone's food preparation choices and If my original post came across that way, then I apologize for that. Yes.. I based my viewpoint on basic science and scientific peer review facts which I have posted and I stick by my position. If you disagree, then there is absolutely no problem with that and have no problem with letting me know. But the name calling to me and others and disrespectful comments are truly uncalled for.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Wow.. truly.. I didn't mean for this to start a big argument or for people to be rude to others or myself. I completely fine if you disagree with me but there is no need to be disrespectful to me or anyone else.

If you don't agree and love using the microwave.. then by all means...

But why enter a thread to bash someone else? Why not just ignore and move on to something else that interests you?

(I believe bashing and to disagree are two different things)

I think if you had stated it as opinion then people may not have been 'bashing'. It's because you're trying to state it as fact that people have got annoyed. As one poster said you could find articles and studies that support both sides of the argument. Unless the evidence is overwhelming either way then there is no fact. Only opinion. You are of course entitled to have an opinion as is everybody. Just don't try and tell people that what they're doing is wrong based on something that hasn't been substantiated.
  • Killing_Perfection
    Killing_Perfection Posts: 79 Member
    Options

"Molecules can absorb and emit energy by altering the state of motion of their constituent atoms - they can be made to vibrate and rotate. Again, the energy associated with either motion is quantized, and molecules possess rotational and vibrational energy levels in addition to those due to their electrons. Only polar molecules will experence forces via the E-field of an incident electromagnetic wave that will cause them to rotate into alignment, and only they can absorb a photon and make a rotational transition to an excited state. Since massive electrons are not able to swing around easily, we can anticipate that they will have low-frequency rotational resonances (far IR, 0.1mm, to microwave, 1cm). For instance, water molecules are polar, and if exposed to an electromagnetic wave, they will swing around, trying to stay lined up with the alternating E-field. This will occure with particular vigor at any one of its rotational resonances. Consequently, water molecules efficiently and dissipatively absorb microwave radiation at or near such a frequency. The microwave oven is an obvious application."

Taken from Optics, Eugene Hecht. Now if you want to know why exactly the levels of resonance lie the way they are, you'll have to grab a book on atomism, because you can't explain that in just a few sentences.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    The OP is trolling.

If she isn't then she should feel bad. Microwaving is the second best way of retaining nutrients bar steaming. Stop spreading lies.

I steam veg in my microwave?

Wut?
  • lusciousladie07
    Options

http://www.rps.psu.edu/probing/microwave.html

Here's another http://suite101.com/article/how-do-microwave-ovens-work-a35365

http://www.livestrong.com/article/421142-health-concerns-with-the-use-of-infrared-heat-to-cook-food/

Please take note of the peer review journals sources throughout the article and at the bottom.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    In which chapter in my A&P textbook will I find this information? Because I certainly did not find any information in my A&P Course 1 or my class on Basic Nutrition I just finished taking.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Rubish. Don't let the food nazi's scare you. Microwave it if you want and use lean cuisines if you like. I don't understand peoples desire to fear-monger and spread mis-information because they heard it once fro a source they find credible (their mom, random article by a journalist etc..)

Have fun living in fear and good luck! :)

To each their own!
  • lusciousladie07
    Options
    In which chapter in my A&P textbook will I find this information? Because I certainly did not find any information in my A&P Course 1 or my class on Basic Nutrition I just finished taking.

In a basic A&p book.. You can look up the effects of varying degrees of temperature on the 4 protein structures on a cellular level. Try looking up dangerous fever situations.
    In a chemistry book.. you can look up the amount of energy produced by microwaves versus radiant heat energy.

The reason I stated those possible sources than I guess peer reviewed sources because it is most available to get your hands on that is credible. (like I still have my a&P book and chemistry book from college)
  • Duckz1
    Duckz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    i once knew someone that cooked a cat in a microwave.

Well that's just stupid. All the nutrients were zapped out. Shoulda put it in the toaster oven :grumble:
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    You truly have to be an idiot if you nuke water to the point of explosion. truly. **And didn't read the directions!** I never said it couldn't happen.

I don't know... it can happen in less than a minute: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FcwRYfUBLM
    Superheated water doesn't look like it's that hot, because it doesn't boil like normal.

Personally, I've never seen it happen first hand. But I don't think a person has to be an 'idiot' to have science happen accidentally in their microwave. :flowerforyou:

I exploded a chicken hot dog in the microwave once.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Oh no!

I need my microwave to boil my eggs in. What am I going to do????????
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Bwahahahaha I love it! The other day it was aspartame making people fat, then soda, then carbohydrates, fat, and now the microwave. You people are ALL MISINFORMED picking your nose too much makes you fat. You see theres an accupressure point inside your nasal cavity and when pushed you will start eating like a hippo and want to eat a trough of food. Only cure eat extra beans and broccoli and try to fart it out. Trust me it works :D
  • missworld95
    missworld95 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be rude but I just can't understand how some people didn't know microwaves were really bad... it's radiation people. What did you expect?

That being said, I'm sure if you have to use it on occasion, it can't be *that* bad for you.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    So if freezing kills nutrients, then why do they say frozen fruits are the best to eat to prevent cancer because they are picked off the vine and sent directly to the freezer? They say the fruits and vegs lose their potency when they are immobile and it's better to freeze because it holds the nutrients longer.

These two ideas are *not* contradictory. Just because freezing destroys fewer nutrients than storage and shipping does not mean that it does not destroy any nutrients. Ideally, we'd eat plants right after they were picked, but since this isn't an option for most of us, flash freezing is probably better in many respects than cold storage. For fruit and veggies, it may be useful to think of it this way:
    right off the plant > flash frozen > shipped/stored > canned > none at all.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be rude but I just can't understand how some people didn't know microwaves were really bad... it's radiation people. What did you expect?

That being said, I'm sure if you have to use it on occasion, it can't be *that* bad for you.

uh huh. The radiation produced by a microwave oven is non-ionizing. I does not have the cancer risks associated with ionizing radiation
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options

uh huh. The radiation produced by a microwave oven is non-ionizing. I does not have the cancer risks associated with ionizing radiation

damn! you beat me to it

:(