Please stop microwaving your food

Options

Replies

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I've been microwaving water for.... years. never an issue. maybe your microwave is on crack? Maybe you misread the directions? Nuked it too long? Never had anything blow up in my face.... weird.

Actually, the water exploding issue is true:
    http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp

The part about microwaved water killing plants is false:
    http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave/plants.asp
  • lusciousladie07
    lusciousladie07 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow.. truly.. I didn't mean for this to start a big argument or for people to be rude to others or myself. I completely fine if you disagree with me but there is no need to be disrespectful to me or anyone else.

If you don't agree and love using the microwave.. then by all means...

But why enter a thread to bash someone else? Why not just ignore and move on to something else that interests you?

(I believe bashing and to disagree are two different things)

Because this is a discussion board and *gasp* we are discussing things.
    [/quote
    And I agree with that. But not to the point of bashing or putting someone else down for their opinon/post/ viewpoint etc. That is not a discussion.
  • dyskras
    dyskras Posts: 54
    Options
    That GlobalHealingCenter link is. . . so many kinds of mess and inaccuracies that I have no idea where to begin.
  • Preacher224
    Preacher224 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Wow.. truly.. I didn't mean for this to start a big argument or for people to be rude to others or myself. I completely fine if you disagree with me but there is no need to be disrespectful to me or anyone else.

But why enter a thread to bash someone else? Why not just ignore and move on to something else that interests you?

I agree, if you have a different opinion state it and back it up with a little science. But no need to be rude. I don't think the microwaved water killed the plants but I do think microwaving food and drinks may be killing people slowly like eating the wrong foods and consuming too much added sugar.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Because this is a discussion board and *gasp* we are discussing things.
    And I agree with that. But not to the point of bashing or putting someone else down for their opinon/post/ viewpoint etc. That is not a discussion.

That comes with the territory of using a discussion board on the internet. :smile:
  • smoffette
    smoffette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Also, a summary (with links in the actual text to peer-reviewed study summaries) on cooking methods:

"In general, microwaving is the healthiest cooking method. However, for individual vegetables, optimal cooking methods vary. The benefits of raw broccoli can be replicated by pre-chopping and letting it stand before cooking. It is a myth that raw foods are always better. Although some nutrients are partially destroyed by cooking, others may become more absorbable. Kale, for instance, may be healthier cooked. In fact too many raw cruciferous vegetables can be dangerous (but only taken to an extreme). There are several carcinogens created when cooking at high temperatures, though. Cooking animal foods may drive the production of harmful advanced glycation end-products. Frying or cooking meats also makes them particularly carcinogenic. Roasting chicken is produces carcinogenic compounds (but not coffee or veggie burgers). Deep frying pollution can in fact be toxic to breathe."

http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/cooking-methods/
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, nonsense. What part of the water is the microwaving destroying exactly?

There are numerous documentaries and studies on the structure of water and it's effects on biology. It blew my mind when I researched it. Water is a mystery we are just starting to understand.

I got rid of my microwave a year ago and I don't miss it one bit :)

Those mysteries were unraveled when Aquaman landed in mars lol. Honestly the only major changes on the chemical structure of water is when it turns into solid, gas, or liquid from any of this states to another. Otherwise, I trust what is in aquafina, and most purified waters. I dislike the taste of spring water.
  • lusciousladie07
    Options
    total b.s. come back with a real peer reviewed article supporting your argument. (peer reviewed means scientists substantiated such claims, not that it is agreeable hearsay by other MFP users)

I have access to peer reviewed journals. ( Access provided through my masters program.) Here is the information to find it yourself as my access requires a log in and If I link it.. you would need your own log in.

1.Retention of Lysine in Foods Processed with Microwave and Conventional Heating.
    Source:
    International Journal of Food Engineering; 2009, Vol. 5 Issue 3, preceding p1-11, 13p, 3 Charts
    2.Biological quality and safety assessment of rice bran protein isolates.
    Source:
    International Journal of Food Science & Technology; Nov2011, Vol. 46 Issue 11, p2366-2372, 7p
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Microwaves are perfectly fine tools for some uses. Just like anything else.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I've been microwaving water for.... years. never an issue. maybe your microwave is on crack? Maybe you misread the directions? Nuked it too long? Never had anything blow up in my face.... weird.

Actually, the water exploding issue is true:
    http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp

The part about microwaved water killing plants is false:
    http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave/plants.asp

You truly have to be an idiot if you nuke water to the point of explosion. truly. **And didn't read the directions!** I never said it couldn't happen.
  • Preacher224
    Preacher224 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Study on the best way to cook vegetables! (and worst) http://nutritionfacts.org/video/best-cooking-method/

Interesting video.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    The OP is trolling.

If she isn't then she should feel bad. Microwaving is the second best way of retaining nutrients bar steaming. Stop spreading lies.
  • jkw123
    jkw123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    OP (lusciousladie) said:
    When you microwave or nuke your food, you are denaturing or abolishing the structure of MOST of the nutrients and your body no longer recognizes it and considers it waste.

Then:
    I respect all your viewpoints as I hope you would respect mine.. even if you disagree.

Except you are not claiming to post a "viewpoint," you are claiming to post FACTS. And the "facts" you state are wrong.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

I'm fairly certain that people get a bit put off by someone who thinks that it's okay to tell them how to live their lives and then tries to back it up with faulty facts. If you would have re-worded your post "Here are my reasons for not using the microwave," maybe the backlash wouldn't have been so harsh.

As for my experience, I've microwaved plenty of meals and felt satisfied after eating them. I'm healthy, still alive, and generally feel good. Also, there's this -

"In studies at Cornell University, scientists looked at the effects of cooking on water-soluble vitamins in vegetables and found that spinach retained nearly all its folate when cooked in a microwave, but lost about 77 percent when cooked on a stove. They also found that bacon cooked by microwave has significantly lower levels of cancer-causing nitrosamines than conventionally cooked bacon." - http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/17/health/17real.html?_r=1

"Whether you're zapping food in your microwave or cooking it on the stove, it's the amount of heat and cooking time that affects vitamin loss. High cooking temperatures and long cooking times result in loss of heat-sensitive and water-soluble vitamins such as vitamin C and thiamin. Actually, microwave cooking can help minimize vitamin loss because the foods tend to cook more quickly." - http://www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=6442453659
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The OP is trolling.

If she isn't then she should feel bad. Microwaving is the second best way of retaining nutrients bar steaming. Stop spreading lies.

I steam veg in my microwave?
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You truly have to be an idiot if you nuke water to the point of explosion. truly. **And didn't read the directions!** I never said it couldn't happen.

I don't know... it can happen in less than a minute: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FcwRYfUBLM
    Superheated water doesn't look like it's that hot, because it doesn't boil like normal.

Personally, I've never seen it happen first hand. But I don't think a person has to be an 'idiot' to have science happen accidentally in their microwave. :flowerforyou:
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    Does this mean I can microwave out the "Carb" and "Fat" nutrients of Pizza/????

If so SCORE!!
  • lusciousladie07
    Options
    OP (lusciousladie) said:
    When you microwave or nuke your food, you are denaturing or abolishing the structure of MOST of the nutrients and your body no longer recognizes it and considers it waste.

Then:
    I respect all your viewpoints as I hope you would respect mine.. even if you disagree.

Except you are not claiming to post a "viewpoint," you are claiming to post FACTS. And the "facts" you state are wrong.
    If my viewpoints are based on facts from respected scientific sources..(as another poster asked for peer reviewed source which I provided) and others based their viewpoint based on facts presented in other scientific sources.. such as what a poster posted above... why is my viewpoint based on the facts just like his so much different than his?
  • asb46
    asb46 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Total, complete and utter nonsense. Microwaves work on the principal of exciting the electrons in water molecules. They do not change the structure in any way, they simply cause the molecule to vibrate, generating friction, which, in turn, causes heat. The more water in a substance heated in a microwave oven, the more quickly it will heat. A microwave oven will not irradiate food or alter it's structure in any way. The originator of this thread and anyone who believes this nonsense is an idiot deficient in basic scientific literacy. If you don't believe me, consult www.snopes.com, or ask your local high school science teacher.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Is this real life?