Please stop microwaving your food

Options

Replies

• Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    how about we all chose to do what we feel is best for ourselves and try to be kind to each other.

give peace a chance lol. :drinker:
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I think the OP has been througly pwned at this point.

pwned. I just like that you said that.
    so we have had misinformation, explosive water and radiation... did I miss anything else?

<not referring to AP whatev... It's sunday, I'm not making my brain work THAT hard today>

Ok. But really. Think just a tiny bit hard here. If microwaves were OH SO bad, why have they become oh so popular? They became popular long before the height of laziness/convenience/lack of time, so we can't blame it on that. If anyone looked at old old magazines on future houses, guess what? They had microwaves in them
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    OP, instead of simply defending your side, it might be a good idea to take some time to read through those journal articles that you posted. If you had done so, you would have realized they actually refute your argument. People have taken the time to give you some great, accurate information, and it would be a great idea to look into it further. This could be a learning opportunity.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I think the OP has been througly pwned at this point.

pwned. I just like that you said that.
    so we have had misinformation, explosive water and radiation... did I miss anything else?

<not referring to AP whatev... It's sunday, I'm not making my brain work THAT hard today>

Ok. But really. Think just a tiny bit hard here. If microwaves were OH SO bad, why have they become oh so popular? They became popular long before the height of laziness/convenience/lack of time, so we can't blame it on that. If anyone looked at old old magazines on future houses, guess what? They had microwaves in them

Well - it would be better if we were still alive 500 yrs from now and could see if long ..real long term effects could be traced. Since we cant unless we cut off our heads and stick them in a jar and put them in a freezer and then thaw them out in a micro.....wait..n/m.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I use the microwave to steam my vegetables in their bags. That is about it really. Hopefully, I am not losing too much in the way of nutrients doing this as opposed to boiling in a pan of water.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    QUOTE: "Can I microwave my food if I am wearing my tinfoil hat? "

Only if you also wear your secret decoder ring too!!!
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I use the microwave to steam my vegetables in their bags. That is about it really. Hopefully, I am not losing too much in the way of nutrients doing this as opposed to boiling in a pan of water.

Your losing less.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    OP, congrats on staying classy--you've taken a really undeserved beating here.

If classy means defending a falsehood with studies that actually refute her argument (in the hopes that no one actually reads them), then I guess you're right.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options

Your losing less.

You may lose some nutritional value when heating vegetables or you may gain some, depending on their chemical properties. But heating is heating, whether on a stove or in a microwave. In fact, this study showed that micronutrients tended to be retained more when the food was microwaved than when heated over a stove since the prep time was reduced, especially when steaming and blanching: Lassen, Anne; Ovesen, Lars (1 January 1995). "Nutritional effects of microwave cooking". Nutrition & Food Science 95 (4): 8–10. This is because nutrients tend to be lost by leaching into the cooking water, and microwaves result in shorter cooking times.

However, I could see greater micronutrient loss only if the microwave was programmed to heat the food past the boiling point, which could lead to a faster breakdown, such as vit B12, which is converted to an inactive form by heat. Again, this could be offset by the shorter cook time. Also, you can alter this by adjusting the wattage on your microwave.

So, it's not so much the microwaves itself but how hot it heats the food that could potentially create issues.
  • Bobbie_89
    Bobbie_89 Posts: 146
    Options
    Theres bad and goods in everyones diets. I'm not saying that it's a good thing to use the microwave and I'm not saying its a bad thing. Some people has to do what they have to do even if it means using a microwave on a daily basices. I'm a stay at home mom so I barely use it anyways unless I'm running on a tight schedule. Just how some says stay away from frozen dinners, cook all your meals. Some can do that and some can't always do that. Just do what you can thats all that matters.
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i refuse to stop using my microwave
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    NEVER!
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Whatever. At this point in humanity, breathing causes cancer. lol The only way we are going to avoid putting chemicals in our body is if we grow all of our own food in an airtight room and even then you would have to water the plants with water that has most likely been chemically treated at some point lol Excuse me while I go enjoy my microwaved processed food!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    what i want to know is why the bowl or plate or what ever is allways 100* hotter than what is in it??
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Uh, no.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    In my house, both plants will be dead by the end of the week. Because frankly, I have a black thumb.

Also, I think it's important to remember that while vegetables and other foods do lose some nutrients in the cooking process, it's still better than eating processed foods.

I don't personally use a microwave that often. But I do use it for steaming vegetables. Frankly, I love my microwave steamer and I think it's just fine to cook vegetables that way. As the sister of a scientist who has tested this very methodology, I can assert that using a steamer in the microwave to steam vegetables does not do significant harm to your veggies.

In fact, it is my understanding--and no I'm not going to go in search of 900 peer reviewed journals to share on my Sunday evening...you all have fingers, the internet and Google, so do it yourselves--that slight steaming actually enhances the body's ability to absorb the nutrients in some foods. Raw is apparently not always better. So if you need to microwave, just be smart about it and do what's right for you and your diet.

I say if even 80% of your diet is coming from non-processed source then more power to you. Who cares how you get it?
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    what i want to know is why the bowl or plate or what ever is allways 100* hotter than what is in it??

^^^^This!
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294
    Options
    If this is true, I should probably be dead by now...
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    If this is true, I should probably be dead by now...

Didn't you know? You are. :-D

That's why I can see you. Because I'm invisible (possibly dead too). Just ask the 13 people who ran me over in the grocery store today and just kept walking like I wasn't there.