Guesstimating

Options
I would just like to ask... Am I the only one who guesstimates the amount of different things I eat or does everyone acctually easure out 1 cup or 1 tbsp?
I kind of feel like I am cheating myself because I really have no idea how much I am eating but I can usually visualize how much a cup or a tablespoon of something is.
If you do guesstimate or not what is your opinion on it?

Replies

• TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Measure & weigh
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I measure whenever feasible; the risk is that portion sizes are how I got here, and to keep the weight off I need to continue watching them.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I measure.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Measuring cups and a food scale are your best friend.
  • johnsnana
    Options
    I measure everything. I keep a teaspoon, tablespoon, 1/4 cup & cup right on the kitchen counter. I also take them with me when I travel. It is amazing how much more you eat when you guesstimate! I would strongly suggest using them if you are serious about tracking your weight. It is the only way to know EXACTLY what you are eating.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Measure it is the only way to know for sure! You may be eating twice as much as you think! :smile:
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure just about everything I eat, except for maybe one meal per week when I eat out.
  • ejazzyjay
    ejazzyjay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I usually measure, but if it's something I've had before and don't have a lot of time I will guesstimate.
  • twelker878
    twelker878 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I measure out once in a while to make my guesstimates more precise. Today I measured my sour cream, my syrup, my yogurt, my pancake mix. The rest was guesstimate
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I usually measure out a few times until I really get a feel for something, and then I guesstimate. For instance, I always assumed my chicken breasts were 4oz.....turns out when I measured, they were actually 8!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I used to very strictly weigh and measure everything, but after almost a year of doing that, I can guesstimate within a reasonable margin of error. Harder things, like rice or meat, I still bust out the scale and the spoons for. I also double check my measurements now and then, to make sure that what is a tablespoon in my head is still close to what it actually is.
    If you are just starting out, I highly recommend that you spend at least week measuring things out.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I guess. This morning I actually measured my milk and cereal and I was pretty spot on on my guessing on that. I cook a lot too, so it's easy for me to eyeball things like that.
    Now, "treat" things like ice cream I measure otherwise I know I'll go over and tell myself "yeah, that's a half cup..." when really it's one cup.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I weighed and measured things a few times. about 12 years ago.

I guestimate pretty much everything except maybe wine and salad dressing.

Once in a while I'll measure something.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I measure everything, at least at first, by now I can guess very close to the weight of a chicken breast i have, or know what a cup of mashed potatoes looks like, but it takes time. At first its a definite must if you want to be right about how much you are having. Especially when it comes to calorie dense foods like nuts, pasta, some fruits etc we tend to 'fib' to ourselves about how how much is in a serving.
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I measure/weigh my food. You never really know how many extra calories you could consume. A little bit here, a little there, once you measure/weigh food you will see how much guesstimating can lead to a lot of excess calories.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth. If I have the time I do but if I don't then I over estimate it a bit.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    When I'm on a calorie deficit I weigh and measure everything. When I'm just maintaining, I am less vigilant.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I guess a lot of things. But then I am not looking to lose weight any more, so I don't want to obsess.
  • jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If I have to guesstimate, I will WAY overshoot it so I don't undercount it. I do measure as much as possible though.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I measure everything. I don't want to guess wrong.