Guesstimating

Options

Replies

• golightlyphilosophy
    Options
    I measure and weigh everything. I can't see a point in counting calories if you aren't going to. Unless like others here you've been doing it for a long time and can guess very accurately.
  • llstacy
    llstacy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you're consistant what ever you do if fine. I mean if you're not losing weight lower your calories it really doesn't matter if the reason you're not losing weight is because you're really eating 2 tbs of peanut butter instead of 1...lower your calories and you'll just end up eating less than what you were before and lose weight.

Not that there's anything wrong with measuring or using scales and all that mess if that's your thing but your best guess when it comes to calories is fine to as long as you're honest with yourself and aren't deliberately not measuring so you can eat more.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I measure and weigh my food unless I'm somewhere that I can't.
  • Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options
    I usually measure, if it's something like rice. Although, after you measure it 5 times a day 7 days a week, you can probably guestimate close to the right amount. It's a good ability if you're out without any way to measure your food.
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I make an educated guess but I measure my cereal as that tends to be the tricky one for me. I've actually found a bowl that's exactly 1 cup so when in doubt, I just eat out of that bowl. If I can count it (i.e. pretzels) I count it. I always give myself a buffer zone at the end of the day in case I've underestimated something.
  • habu68123
    habu68123 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I measure and weigh whenever possible. If I guess I tend to go higher on food and lower if I am guessing on calories burned.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Starting out I measured everything. It was the key factor in losing the weight for me. My eyes are bigger then my belly so what I thought was a cup of cereal was like 2 cups.

I still measure and weigh but not as much. If I am not sure about it, out comes the scale. My scale turned into my best friend.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I guestimate some, measure some. I have an uncanny eye for portions and proportions, though.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    At home I measure absolutely EVERYTHING! And not even my measuring cup, if at all possible I weigh by grams/oz. (Sadly I learned last week that the grams listed for a serving of peanut butter are less than 2 Tbs, so if I measure out 2 Tbs I'm actually eating more than a serving.

I only guesstimate when I have to.
  • Celestialfairie
    Options
    Unless something comes prepacked with the exact weight and measures, I generally just guess. I know that it's pretty easy to underestimate but I'm careful about it. And truth be told, I don't want to spend my life obsessing about it. I started my weight loss (this round - it's amazing how easy it is to never really get started) about one hundred days ago. I may only have lost twenty four pounds since then, but I've been living a nice comfortable life without worrying too too much.

It really is just about your take on your weight loss, how much you want to lose and if you're ready to be that dedicated. I know personally I can't ever really be *that* dedicated. To those who are? I actually applaud you.

Just do what works best for you. If you notice that you're not hitting your goals? Then perhaps it's time to re-evaluate.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    About half and half because I tend to eat the same things a lot. It helps to have a husband with a good eye as well.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I HAVE measured most things I track, but I guesstimate most of the time. I do actually measure from time to time to make sure I'm still estimating correctly (like the 1 tbls I cooked the salmon filet in that I just ate).

I also will purposely overestimate if there's a question.
  • rungosgirl1018
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I appreciate the support and your knowledge.
    Add me if you like I am always looking for support and advise from people who are just starting like me and people who have been doing this for awhile.
  • sleonardbranson
    Options
    I measure, it really helps me...it takes more time, but at least I know exactly what I'm eating and how much!
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I do both. If I guesstimate I always put a exceedingly high number.
  • realia
    realia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good at eyeballing. I started measuring things like peanut butter, cereal, rice, etc. I've actually been pretty close when I used to guesstimate. I measure things for the most part if I'm unsure of the quantity. If I need to measure it using a scale (things like meat and pasta), I guesstimate because I don't have one.
  • Sharbear6936
    Options
    I measure as much as I can. Sometimes it isn't possible so I will guess a little high...better high than too low is my thinking.
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Always measure, count, etc because I want an accurate total as much as possible.
  • davisrl0
    davisrl0 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I do weigh and measure a lot. However, I tend to eat the same things a lot of the time, so if its something Im really used to eating, and I know what a cup of it looks like, then I dont measure it. But its been my experience that we over estimate portion sizes when we just guess. I think if you really want to get calorie counts under control and accurate, you have to weigh and measure.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I measure and weigh everything, unless I'm eating out or at a friend/family member's house (like yesterday and today).