Replies

• Krisstah
    Krisstah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i measure and weigh everything.
  • suzesymon
    suzesymon Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure most things, particularly high calorie foods. I do guess with vegetables a bit, but never things like yoghurt, cheese, etc.
  • crystaltate4
    Options
    i recommend measure and weighing girl it help u get all of it but not over it every little cal can add up if ur over, i use to guess but i didnt lose weight and it was because i was guessing wrong.
  • lovesdarkchocolate
    Options
    Measure / food scale. When I began weighing foods I learned that several of my portions were badly off...
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I think that with the amount of weight you have to lose, that weighing will help you become more aware of portion size creep. Eventually, you may be able to stop. I don't weigh foods that have few calories like green beans, salad, and 0 calorie foods. You have to measure oil, of course, that's a biggie.
  • verbalriot
    Options
    I measure whenever I can but if I'm out at a restaurant, I obviously guesstimate...I tend to inflate my estimates though, which probably gets me about right
  • davidjulian
    davidjulian Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I guess but I always err on the high side rather than the low (so, if i'm not sure if it's like, 1/3 cup or 1/2 cup, I always go for the 1/2). I'm sure I (like many people here it seems) would underestimate everything naturally, so I just make a concerted effort to overestimate. Way easier than measuring everything. I'm not gonna keep measuring cups at my desk and bring them to my work cafeteria.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    pretty much weigh and measure everything, except when out, obviously.
  • owyn999
    owyn999 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    An alternative is to use a point system with ranges to change your behavior. I use something like this:
    3 points for fresh food, meat on the bone, fermented/ sprouted foods or organ meats.
    1 point if it's good
    -1 point if it's bad
    -3 if it's full of vegetable oil or sugar
    -5 if it's maccas/KFC/etc.

Benefit of this is you can guesstimate scores and tracking is much easier. You can also easily add exercise, sleep, sunshine, tobacco/alcohol, etc to the scoring which also have an effect on your health.

I actually think this is more productive then calorie counting, but if you've never done it I would measure initially, especially with things such as rice, choloate, juices, etc. You might be surprised how many calories they add up to very quickly.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this.

People who do NOT measure: How much weight have you lost? And how long did it take you?

People who DO measure and weigh: How much weight have you lost and how much? And how long did it take?

Me, I measure everything and lost 73 pounds over 8 months.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I measure and weigh but when I'm eating out I guesstimate, especially when it comes to things like pizza. I have no clue how big the pieces are in most of the MFP suggestions for pizza.
  • Mommahatch
    Options
    A good way to do this without it becoming overburdensome is to do it right after you get home from the grocery. Measure out 1 serving size (according to the package) and put into a container/baggie/whatever. Then it also helps you control portion sizes. I do guesstimate when it is out to eat at a non chain restaurant or dining at a friends house though. It doesn't have to be an exact science. What I find most helpful is the awareness of what I am eating, and what a "portion size" REALLY is.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I weigh & measure, have a few sets of cups, spoons and glass pyrex in diffferent sizes. Got Biggest Loser digital food scale as well.
    It only takes a few seconds to weight & measure and I know I'm not cheating myself in over or under eating food.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh everything (in metric), whenever possible. Volume measures are really only a decent equivalent for water, and liquids with similar density (such as milk, juices, etc). Even then, 1 ml = 1 g, so I just weigh everything because measuring cups tend to vary in accuracy. This is just how I learned to do things in culinary school.

Occasionally, I come upon times where I can't measure so precisely. Such as a cheat meal, planned or not. That's when I take my best guess. I'm not going to turn down the occasional awesome dinner out, or other special occasion feast, because I'm hung up on exact measurements. I often guess the weight of an item before I actually measure it, and I'm often pretty close. Years of experience definitely helps with that.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I guesstimate most of my portions and I don't count calories either. I've lost 9 lbs in the last 7 weeks... hoping to lose another 17 lbs by November :) I do measure out things like dry oatmeal that require specific proportions to cook right.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I measure pretty much everything I make in my own kitchen. My food scale stays on the counter for quick access, and my measuring cups get used every day.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Unless you have calibrated eyeballs, you really need measuring spoons, cups, and a digital scale.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I would just like to ask... Am I the only one who guesstimates the amount of different things I eat or does everyone acctually easure out 1 cup or 1 tbsp?
    I kind of feel like I am cheating myself because I really have no idea how much I am eating but I can usually visualize how much a cup or a tablespoon of something is.
    If you do guesstimate or not what is your opinion on it?

I measure some times it really depends on what I am eating, I can guesstimate pretty well I was in the restaurant business for 3 years, and would cook for fun at least a few days of the week. I took advantage of my role and would learn as much as I could when ever I could from the head chef (I was the GM).

I almost always weigh my meats even though I can eyeball most of them... I like to know exactly how much protein I am having. Things like Greek yogurt I measure but something like mixed greens I would eyeball ..... or the size of a banana, avocado, kale ect ect.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

People who do NOT measure: How much weight have you lost? And how long did it take you?

People who DO measure and weigh: How much weight have you lost and how much? And how long did it take?

Surely that entirely depends on how much weight you had to lose in the first place, and how small/big you are? I lost 30 lbs in 6 months, from 155 - 125 lbs. In that time friends of mine who started out at 250 lost twice as much as I did while not measuring a thing. It's hard to lose weight once you are 120 ish lbs, no matter how you are doing it.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

Get over yourself. Your way doesn't have to be everyone else's way.

I don't own a scale, I don't want a scale and my weight loss is not going to depend on whether or not my steak was 8 oz or 12oz. I use measuring cups occasionally when it makes sense to but more often than not I just best-guess it. I'm consistent and honest with myself and I've lost 50 pounds in the last 30 weeks -- 2.6 pounds just last week in fact.

Scales and measuring cups are simply tools -- that most dieters find value in using -- but they're not must haves.