Oatmeal!

Options

Replies

• vcreinert
    Options
    Good ole Quaker Oats made from scratch. Add milk and sum sugar. Only way to go. Don't eat that instant stuff.
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal alot for breakfast. But I have to admit after reading all the suggestions on this post and one last night (about crock pot oatmeal) there are alot of options to try.
    My favorite right now is cooked with water, then add alittle bit of milk and some PB2.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Good for you, you have a good palate! Instant oatmeal IS disgusting. Get the old fashioned. Add some golden raisins, when it is done, you can add a bit of butter, and some syrup. If you still don't like that cooked, try eating it raw. Sprinkle a bit in with another cereal and milk, and enjoy its chewiness. Some people have talked about overnight oatmeal (haven't tried it myself) but in Switzerland they make something called muesli which is similar.

Give oatmeal a fair chance, it's the shizzle!

Ruth
  • lehmann75
    Options
    I start with chocolate chip instant oatmeal, then add a few mini marshmallows and a crushed up graham cracker. S'mores! The oatmeal is already so low cal, even when it's not a lower sugar version, that the additions are totally worth it.
  • GottaLoveRenee
    GottaLoveRenee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE oatmeal, cooked in a crock pot, a little lumpy, with walnuts, cranberries and mango. Hey, I'm from the South. :-)
  • ABQsheila
    ABQsheila Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal with raisins and walnuts and a bit of maple syryp (or the sugar free stuff). It reminds me of oatmeal cookies. Another favorite is oatmeal with dried apricots, cut into small pieces, and cooked with the oatmeal. Add a tablespoon or so of almonds and yummm.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I like adding blueberries to my oatmeal and a little brown sugar.. I've never tried it with peanut butter though. I think I'm going to do that for breakfast tomorrow.
  • ItzPSGina62
    ItzPSGina62 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal Rocks! and all these ideas are super! Thanx!
  • MyfaithMyfitness
    MyfaithMyfitness Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's great w/blueberries & strawberries.... I sometimes add a pinch of light brown sugar as well!
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Lavish oatmeal is my favorite, its chocolate.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Apple sauce and cinnamon, cinnamon pecan, peanut butter and dark chocolate chips
  • davidjulian
    davidjulian Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think where you went wrong was buying the instant oats with the added flavorings. Get regular rolled oats and then just add cinnamon and brown sugar. If you don't like the texture, then maybe oatmeal just isn't your thing? Nothing wrong with that. I love it, but that's just me.
  • southpawmx
    Options
    IMO the best oatmeal is plain rolled oats with a scoop of whey powder and a tbsp of stevia :D its not bad at all i had the same problem i hated oats but i learned to love them! Be creative :)
  • jo3y20
    jo3y20 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My husband loves oatmeal and only eats the old fashioned oats. I tried and tried (because I knew it was good for me) but just couldn't do it. BUT when I started this journey I decided I needed something I could make for breakfast at work. I bought the instant packages and now I eat it 4-5 days a week. I decided it was a texture thing for me. I micro it with water and a couple tablespoons of skim milk. My favorites are the maple/brown sugar with blueberries or cinnamon with warmed cinnamon apple sauce. Sometimes I add 5 oz. of walnuts. The PLUS is my cholesterol went from 231 to 194.
  • daoc1972
    daoc1972 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    oops double post...
  • daoc1972
    daoc1972 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've been eating oatmeal regularly (almost every morning) since the beginning of the year. Before that, it was intermittent. The 8difference was I found the perfect version for me. I make Old Fashioned oatmeal in the microwave with water (1:1.8 ratio, I like it a bit on the dense side). 2 min on high & 3.5 min @ 40% power. The split is so it doesn't overflow the bowl. I let it sit to cool and the surface dry up a bit before I spread on my favorite addition: 1-2 tbs of NUTELLA!:love: I used to stir it in, but now I spread it on like icing on a cake. Oh, sooooo yummy! It comes out to be a 350 cal breakfast, but it keeps me full until lunch.

Another way I like it is to sprinkle sugar on top and take a torch to it. Healthy alternative to creme brulee.
  • Healthy_Melva
    Healthy_Melva Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump! Thanks for your favorites and for the websites. I ate oatmeal every morning for 3 years, then just stopped cold. I think it's time to add it back in. :drinker:
  • Cassidy_Jean
    Options
    All of these sound so yummy, thanks for sharing!
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I use old fashioned oats, but try adding PEANUT BUTTER! It's so heavenly. I also eat mine with blueberries/bananas/strawberries or whatever fruit I have in my kitchen. :) I love oatmeal. Just start getting creative with it!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I like to get a variety pack of instant oatmeal. The wal mart brands are like a 1.67? What I do with my oatmeal is mix flavors! SOO GOOD!! For example:

Strawberries and cream with bananas and cream.
    Peaches and cream with cinnamon and spice
    Cinnamon and spice with raisin spice
    apples and cinnamon with raisin spice

The list goes on and on, and of course you can cater to your tastes. I like to add nuts and raisins, dried cranberres/cherries to my oatmeal for a little extra oomph.