23lb lost - don't look any different!

Options
12346»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    A couple have said the wrist, which is odd, as for the last two weeks I have been wearing a (now loose) watch that I couldn't even get on before. Seems an odd place to loose it first!

A lot are saying to do strength training - I'm a bit worried about this as I've been told that doing this when you are already fat will not help you lose weight, you will just gain muscle, and that I need to get to the size I'm happy with and then tone.
    Is that true or more rubbish I've read/been told?
    It's rubbish.

1) It's very difficult to gain muscle in a caloric deficit. Building muscle requires a caloric excess and LOTS of nutrients (most notably protein).

2) Women have more difficulty than men building muscle due to significantly lower anabolic hormone levels (i.e., testosterone). Even women (and most men!) who are TRYING to build muscle find it a slow process and they have to fight hard for every ounce of muscle they put on.

3) Weight training has been proven to preserve lean body mass while favoring fat loss. If you're trying to get leaner rather than just lighter on the scale, weight training will be of enormous benefit.

4) What most people call "toning" is just losing body fat and thus, showing better definition of the muscles you already have. You can't "tone" a muscle - you can make it bigger, make it stronger or make it smaller (via atrophy), but there's no such thing as "toning" it.

Waiting until you get to your goal weight to start weight training will mean that you lose a lot of muscle mass along the way, resulting in the condition referred to as "skinny fat". Building the muscle from there takes much more work than it would if you lifted weights along the way and preserved the muscle mass you already have - which would result in arriving at your goal weight with most of your existing muscle mass still intact (and probably a figure you'd be much happier with).
  • FAVORED1
    FAVORED1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Take it!!! Thoe are great results... I lost over 100lbs and really don't remember seeing a significant change with my first 20lbs. Your clothes will begin to get loose, if not already. Keep going! The physical fruit of your labor is coming. The internal fruit is already making it's way to the forefront. You've got this. Stay focused and committed to your health!
  • MissShancey
    Options
    I have lost 51 pounds and i dont look any different ... i still have 119 to go tho so im not worried!
  • Zalovar
    Zalovar Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is helpful at all, but my doctor once told me that alot of times, the first fat that you lose is fat that is on the inside, attached to your organs, etc. Apparently, fat doesn't just deposit on the skin, it also deposits on organs such as the liver, etc. So, look on the up side, even though at this time you may be losing internal fat, that's probably a good thing because I'm assuming that's worse for your health than skin fat. The rest will come sooner or later! Keep it up and good job!
  • ahhohf
    ahhohf Posts: 1
    Options
    As others have said, being patient and sticking with it WILL work and it will show... but to answer your question, doing a decent weight routine will absolutely help your body burn fat and burn it sooner and faster. I do weights all.the.time (Body Pump 2x a week, running and TRX) and I'm starting to see really beautiful results. I've lost nearly 25 lbs and have 5 more to go to get to my ideal body fat % and am using weights to get there (in addition to cardio). Do you have a trainer?
  • jonesyx6
    jonesyx6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat...I have lost 16lbs and have over 100 to lose. I figure 16 pounds has to have come from SOMEWHERE so I measured....the same...But I did notice the bras that I bought six weeks ago that fit perfectly are not big. Not "I can't wear these" big, but definitely roomier than when I purchased them. Also, I think my face looks thinner (a little) and I'm not "measuring" there. I think what people are saying is absolutely true. If you only had 40 to lose and lost 23 that would be a HUGE difference (50%) but when you've got to lose more, it's a much smaller percentage of a loss.....BUT IT'S STILL A LOSS! So way to go and keep going!
  • kie_kie
    kie_kie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling.. so since I've started to work out I have lost 11 pounds and i have only lost inches around my calves. Only friends and family members who know how hard I have been working try to patronize me and comment on how i'm getting smaller.

Its quite discouraging I must say. By the time school reopens I hope to lose 9 more pounds to bring me to 20 pounds lost but at this rate I don't think anyone will see the difference.

I still have a long way to go so I'm keeping at it but a little difference in size not only scale would be a huge motivation.

I just think you should keep at it and have patience because when it finally starts to show you wont believe your eyes :)
  • lavendergirll
    lavendergirll Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing an awesome job! Dont focus so much on changes about how you look right now. You have the right attitude about noticing that you are feeling stronger and better which is so important. Eventually you will see other changes. I think you are awesome.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the positive comments guys and girls, you have cheered me up tremendously.

So, if I were to start strength training as a complete novice, and not wanting to turn into a femal arnie, what is the best exercises to do? Can anyone advise?

At the moment I am swimming twice a week (and have actually gained a pea sized arm muscle because of that) and quite a bit of walking.
  • 1twistedjew
    1twistedjew Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Take pictures! Your brain will trick you to believe you aren't any different. It really helped me before. Also, 23lbs is alot of weight and good job! Look at what 23 lbs represents. Look at the 3lb bags of sugar next time you are in the store. You lost seven of those. My clothes took forever to change and I didn't loose it where I wanted to. It will come off. Don't give up.. 23lbs is huge! 19% of your body weight is substantial.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    A couple have said the wrist, which is odd, as for the last two weeks I have been wearing a (now loose) watch that I couldn't even get on before. Seems an odd place to loose it first!

A lot are saying to do strength training - I'm a bit worried about this as I've been told that doing this when you are already fat will not help you lose weight, you will just gain muscle, and that I need to get to the size I'm happy with and then tone.
    Is that true or more rubbish I've read/been told?

You should also be noticing that your rings are fitting more loosely. That's because you were retaining alot of excess fluid in your extremities. The same thing happened to me.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    So, if I were to start strength training as a complete novice, and not wanting to turn into a femal arnie, what is the best exercises to do? Can anyone advise?
    Adopt a sensible weight training program and don't use anabolic steroids. You're not going to turn into anything even remotely resembling a "female Arnie" unless you eat and lift like a horse, take in lots and lots of protein and start using steroids (not to mention having the favorable genetics for it in the first place).

Ignore the cute little pink dumbbells and the low weight/high rep "toning" programs promoted in most women's magazines. You won't accomplish anything and you'll just be wasting your time. Here's a good basic beginner program that will help you attain your goals: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    ... I do cardio exercises, not muscle building.

I would start some muscle building exercises, as well. The fat will come off faster, and you'll have a better body composition when it does come off. Don't worry, you won't look like a body builder - you'll just look fit and healthy.

Honestly, try squats (with a barbell) and other full body exercises. Obviously, start with very low weight, and although it will cost a little bit, I recommend paying a trainer for at least a session or two to make sure you get your form down. Full body movement exercises are much better for your overall fitness than isolation exercises like dumbbell curls and leg extensions, that sort of thing.

There's a *great* book called "Starting Strength" by a guy named Rippetoe. You can get it on Amazon. If you read that, you won't even need a trainer to show you how to do the exercises.

The big thing is, start with really really low weight, and don't be in a hurry to add weight. Give your body time to adjust, and you won't get hurt, but you will get amazing benefits.

Good luck!
  • mmmyotwnz
    mmmyotwnz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    A good hearty yes to all the good advice and encouragement on the previous posts. It takes some time and you have to give yourself some patience. It didn't come on in an instant.
    I have lost 23 and have 80-100 more to go.. For one month I lost nothing, not even a fraction of an inch in measure, and I was about to throw my hands up in the air. What I have noticed is that slowly, very slowly my body is changing. I'm not seeing the results I want yet, but I am so much farther than I was. I have more stamina, muscle strength, I've lost inches, my bras are now too big, the new clothes I bought for summer when I was heaver, are all too big now, I can walk around in the heat and not get winded. I am past my fear of the elliptical and actually....enjoy myself on it now...gasp.

Dont give up....you have come to far to get down on yourself.
  • AmyG27
    AmyG27 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thing is, if I haven't lost an inch, where/how am I losing it?

visceralfat.jpg

From places that really matter.

I loved seeing that pic! Awesome idea to show her that.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Yes! In the past, Nobody ever noticed my loss either, except my daughter. But others that I knew, shock at the mere thought that 've actually lost 20 lbs.
  • Bsampson24
    Options
    Hi! Just wanted to say great job on the 23 shed, that's amazing! I bet there are differences but you may want to do comparison photos of your side, back, and front to see the changes. I have been taking monthly pic in the same outfit (sports bra and spandex shorts) to scrutinize the changes and they are there despite sometimes being hidden.

Please don't get discouraged, you are doing a fabulous job!