Finding a Roommate Off of Craigslist - Yaay or No Way?

Options
124»

Replies

• Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I like Craigslist for finding places to live. Have had great luck in that area with Craigslist. Also got one of my cats off of Craigslist over six years ago as a kitten and he is the best cat ever. However, the one time I got a roommate off of Craigslist ended up being my last roommate ever. She was an alcoholic and almost broke me and my husband (then boyfriend) up for good, long story.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Craigslist is fine, just screen your roommates. Run checks on them, facebook stalk... whatever.

I found my roommate on Craigslist and he's awesome. We have common interests, he's in the military, and he is obsessed with fitness... Though, he's going to hate me once he realizes how much protein I'm going to siphon off of him.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Craigslist is fine, just screen your roommates. Run checks on them, facebook stalk... whatever.

I found my roommate on Craigslist and he's awesome. We have common interests, he's in the military, and he is obsessed with fitness... Though, he's going to hate me once he realizes how much protein I'm going to siphon off of him.
    Oh, also I would like to note that I AM THE CRAIGSLIST KILLER.
  • LrdTwitchyMcChin
    Options
    I've found a few roommates off Craigslist. In fact, some of my favorite roommates are from there.

My recommendations:

1) Don't add them to the lease (this way if it doesn't work out, you don't have to go through the eviction process)
    2) Write up an agreement between you and said roommate of rules, rates and consequences if rules and rates are not being met.
    3) Interview each candidate and find one that shares similar interests. Don't give up info about yourself for them to make up things you have in common. Let them do most of the talking.
    4) Don't settle. Meet numerous people til you find someone you work well with.
    5) (If applicable) In Wisconsin we have a public access site to search people's records that are from Wisconsin. If you have something like that, it helps for a background check. Also, ask to see their social networking pages.

These are just a few of the guidelines I would recommend. I am actually moving back into a house with a roommate I met off Craigslist and lived with 2 years ago at the end of this month. Good luck!
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I was once one of those roommates who found her room on Craigslist. It turned out to be great place to live, and I didn't kill any of my new roommates.

But it's possible that we were all lucky, being decent people who found each other on Craigslist...
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I would have to vote no. It just doesn't seem very safe. I like the facebook idea though. Maybe put up a notice on the bulletin at your gym or church (if you go) or at your workplace maybe? Good luck finding a good roommate. :)
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I tried selling something on CL once and I had this person get really weird on me. Over a $20 dog cage. I was getting messages 2-3x a day at odd hours....and if I didn't reply within a few hours (they sent me a message at 1:30 in the morning and when I didn't reply, sent another at like 6!) They'd send another. I'm so grateful I didn't give them my phone number. I finally took the ad down, blocked their email and now the damn cage sits in my kitchen. Grrr. I'd ask around on FBl...someone has a friend/cousin/ex/family member that is looking and that way you have someone in common who can vouch for them.

I have never had good a good expeirance with CL.

If you are still looking to get rid of the cage, and dont want to sell it, just give it away, you might try Freecycle.org I love this one. I am getting lots of free fruit and produce, I have also given away a lot of yard sale type crap. I hate yard sales... hate bickering. and it keeps everything out of the land fills
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    It puts the lotion on it's skin
  • jsteverson
    Options
    I think that it is possible to find a good roommate on craigslist, but you have to do your homework. I agree that upfront you should meet at a public place. Call their references and the places they have lived before (if he/she is an older individual); I would find out where they are working, and check to be sure they are working there; and I would also do a background check on them. It seems like a costly thing to do, but it would enable you to make a qualified decision on the character of the person you will be rooming with. It is as though they are being interviewed for a position at your business. You want to be sure they can pay their rent, won't damage your property, and have no criminal back ground. You could also post ads at your local colleges. That is a great place to find people.
  • lauraashley614
    Options
    I've had a good experience but make sure you do a hangout outside of the initial meeting to see if you get along. My roommates and I went out to eat at a local pub after the initial meeting and it went super well and everyone tends to be a little less guarded.
  • Itssojen
    Itssojen Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Have you ever checked out roommates.com? I found my current roommate on there, and we get along great! I was a bit hesitant to live with a stranger, but we hit it off, and we moved in together a week after meeting.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Try advertising at your local hospital staff room/HR department or those of large companies who might have young professionals moving to them for work who will be more reliable for rent payments and respectful of your property.
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I DIDN'T read this post before I moved..lol. I just subleased an apartment. I actually moved in with a woman and her boyfriend doesnt technically live there but does. I did my due dilligence and also I made sure to check if they had any priors or if they had evicted anyone.

So FAR SO GOOD.

We met up a few times BEFORE I moved in. it's a very expensive place and I wanted to live there. Hopefully i will take over their lease in March when or if they decide to move.

They only challenge is their ****ting puppy..lol. he's 13 weeks and doesnt wanna go outside. I HAD a bad experience on Craigslist before but yet I still felt it was the way to find the best place to live.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I looked for roommates off Craigslist and Roommates.com. I can honestly say every single person I met off both sites did nothing but waste my time! Even the sister of a friend wasted my time. And some of these people I spoke to every single day up until it was time to start getting contracts signed!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    It puts the lotion on it's skin
    Or else it gets the hose again.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    That was the only way I was able to move out at first.

I found a couple people in a very nice house in a neighborhood right down the road from me. They paid the bills, held down jobs and respected my space. I gave them due notice when I left and never screwed them over. I eventually moved out only because I was engaged!

DON'T DO roommates if you can help it!! But if you must then you must. I hated it compared to living on your own. I've never lived 100% alone. My SO doesn't count though really. :P

Anyways, I had a positive experience being a first time renter on there without having to have all the stupid checks. Just have to be patient and search far and wide.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    No No Noooooo.... And just a warning.... 99% of all job ads posted are scams.... Do not send any personal info..........