50 shades of grey!

Options

Replies

• hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    If you do not have a Kindle, look into one. I just have the $79 one - LOVE IT AND I GET TONS OF FREE BOOKS TO READ. Any that I purchase are cheaper than buying a regular book.

This! I have the Kindle Touch and love it.

AND it helped me read the Fifty Shades trilogy without getting constant remarks about my "bad choice of reading" because for some reason, everyone around me is suddenly a literary AND BDSM expert and they all have to share their wisdom with me. :laugh:
  • tejasmh87
    tejasmh87 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Look up Karen Moning for the Highlander saga.. 8-9 books and very hot!!
    I have a thing for kilts so heheheheheehe!
  • Pixie_star1234
    Pixie_star1234 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I also read it, but I found the plot very childish. There are way better erotic books to read, trust me. This is a book with very good PR campaign. I'm glad you liked it though, lol.
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I also went through a short depression after reading this. I didn't want it to end! I fell in love with the characters, especially Christian. Oh My ... he's so HOT ....

I plan to re-read the series and note the music as I read. On the authors website, she has a playlist for each book. I would like to listen to the music as I read the part that it goes with.

I've seen alot of threads on MFP bashing this series. But everyone has their own tastes, and this series tasted good to me.
  • Blondehelmet
    Blondehelmet Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I second Black Dagger Botherhoos by JR Ward, first book is Dark Lover. Really hot and great storyline!
  • mtaylor1980
    mtaylor1980 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I just started this series! I really like it so far!!
    If you like intrigue with a bit of smut, try the Fever series by Karen Moning.
  • msprouse8
    msprouse8 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The Sleeping Beauty series by A.N. Roquelaire (Anne Rice) very smutty

^^^^^^ What she said....I read those about 10 years ago. Kinda like 50 shades, but a little more hard core.
  • adnol_2
    adnol_2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I hear there are three books of this. Have you read them all? I haven't started reading it yet, but want to when I get time.
  • WhatHayleyEats
    Options
    Here is my review on this awful piece of "literature" - http://www.gazilliongeeks.com/2012/08/50-shades-of-insert-expletive-here/
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Have you read the Sookie Stackhouse series? Those are good.

I'm gonna start reading those once True Blood is over, don't wanna ruin anything for myself.

Actually, the TV series and the books are so incredibly different, you won't be ruining anything for yourself. There are similar elements and characters, but at this point they've diverged so much it's like two different stories.
  • CrystalLBryant
    Options
    50 shades freed is the last one. i only like the first two though
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    WendyFitMomCHANGED Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Only read the 1st one and it was okay. Loved the Twilight series. I'm on book 3 of the Hunger Games series now. If you've not read that I'd recommend it
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Anyone who wants a true/funny/harsh review of 50 Shades should read this one: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/340987215

I've read all three and I must say that it's all utter crap. If you like it, whatever...but it's total garbage. :flowerforyou:

This is how I think I'm going to feel about them. I have finished the first two and feel the plot has the possibility of being good, the writing is TERRIBLE. VERY BAD! I get physically ill every time I read the words "my inner goddess", which happens to be in every other sentence...blech. :sick:

If I had not promised my cousin I would read them, I probably wouldn't even read the third one. Good thing they are very easy reads and can be finished quickly!
  • novalh42
    novalh42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I loved the series. Karen Moning's Fever series is great and I also loved the House of Night series by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast.
  • deads99
    deads99 Posts: 77
    Options
    This book is such a FAD

It is dreadful and very poorly written. Anyone who knows books would see that.
  • Belenmc
    Belenmc Posts: 15
    Options
    I've just finished the first book. It's been a bit of a struggle but I wanted to know what the fuss was about and my friends kept on telling me it gets better. It doesn't.

I am partial to a bit of erotica, so I was really looking forward to reading these books. I felt conned when everyone told me they were amazing!

The descriptions are repetitive. Christian always wears a white linen shirt. His house is clinical. The smell of Christian etc. Sometimes the repetitions are on the same page. This makes reading tiresome. There is a list of words too that if I don't hear again it won't be too soon:

-Murmur--> meaning mutter, whisper, mumble, grumble, moan,hum, purr etc
    -he/she/I/ etc murmurs---> meaning, says, affirms, alleges, reveals, states, responds, implies, remarks, repeats, answers, convey, declare..etc or any verb meaning say.
    -Inner goddess---> meaning her internal thoughts, but voiced in an infantile way like: on the outside my expression is x but on the inside I feel y, explained as "I bite my lip and my inner goddess does a back flip".
    -He/I *kitten* his/my head--> meaning standard gesture meaning anything the author wants to express but can't. I suspect she wanted to use the word **** without sounding smutty.
    -Lip biting---> again used repetitively as a plot tool. She bites her lip, cue for him to react sexually.

Unfortunately the clumsiness of the author gets shown page after page:
    -american characters saying things like: (Not) for all the tea in china.
    -unable to write a good speech, we know the friend's speech is good because all of the characters say: it was a good speech! about 20 times.
    -the scene when she meets Christians parents is out of the first twilight movie.
    -etc

And then you have the plot and the characterisation: Christian is unrealistic and Anastasia is not a sub, she is an unremarkable inexperienced girl, who from the descriptions appears to have very little going for herself, who has never been kissed...however her best friend is in love with her, the boy she works with is too, her parents adore her..etc her best friend is consistently described as good looking, intelligent and talented however she only manages to bag the consolation prize, Christians brother. The whole book is one HUGE ego trip from anastasia. She is constantly told she is beautiful, she deserves to be in silks, her feelings are important, she is a good negotiator...Oh she is not, it's really easy to negotiate when someone wants a lot more than you and is so obsessed with you and you hold so much power that they agree to your demands...She is jealous, mocks Christian etc..nothing in her behaviour or words seem to warrant this amazing hypnotic effect she has on everyone..Can you tell I detest her!

Anyway, I am a sucker for a good love story, but this one is badly written, preposterous, it implies that anyone who likes bdsm is damaged and must be saved from it, and it breaks my heart that womens ultimate fantasy is a bloke that flies a helicopter named charlie tango, stalks you, and buys you a car, a mac, a first edition, a wardrobe full of clothes, first class tickets...
  • Hollyjd1019
    Options
    I read all 3 50 Shades and I enjoyed them. No, there not literary masterpieces by any means but they are page turners. And like someone else said on here, I enjoy anything that gets my mind off daily stresses. :). I also like JR Ward Black Daggar Brotherhood series. I actually read those first and bought 50 bc I liked the jr ward series so much.
  • sbernardy
    sbernardy Posts: 188
    Options
    Bumping for great book ideas!

I haven't read 50 shades of grey yet... I have heard that you either love it or hate it..
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You know, anyone who has a snide or nasty remark to make about the books people read should just keep it to themselves. Most books are meant to entertain and that is probably what 50 Shades did for most people. Some of us may not like what you read but you don't see us bashing you. You are of course entitled to your opinion but man, you could be a little nicer about it. Okay, so you didn't like the book. We got it. LOL

I have friends who are into BDSM and from what I have learned by talking with them, it's pretty close to true. But who cares? It's a BOOK! It's a STORY! It's meant to ENTERTAIN! It's not like it's Non-fiction, a biography or auto-biography. Let it go already. LOL

Normally I don't say anything when someone makes a nasty or snide remark about something on here, but geez, really? All this crap about a book that a lot of people like and are interested in finding other books that run along the same line? Who cares?! The OP was just looking for other books to read. By the way, there were some great ideas put out there that I plan on looking into. :laugh:

Okay, off my soapbox. Hope that everyone has a great day and happy reading!