Options
    :indifferent:
  • jrbtsn
    jrbtsn Posts: 16
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Southernbelle90
    Options
    The host by stephenie myer is my favorite :)
  • XoCynthiaXo
    XoCynthiaXo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    OMG THANK YOU. People should keep their nasty remarks to themselves. Im sorry i like to read and enjoyed the book. Everyone has their own opinions and i did not ask for nasty people to write me a paragraph on how much they hate the book, if your bored then post somewhere else.

You know, anyone who has a snide or nasty remark to make about the books people read should just keep it to themselves. Most books are meant to entertain and that is probably what 50 Shades did for most people. Some of us may not like what you read but you don't see us bashing you. You are of course entitled to your opinion but man, you could be a little nicer about it. Okay, so you didn't like the book. We got it. LOL

I have friends who are into BDSM and from what I have learned by talking with them, it's pretty close to true. But who cares? It's a BOOK! It's a STORY! It's meant to ENTERTAIN! It's not like it's Non-fiction, a biography or auto-biography. Let it go already. LOL

Normally I don't say anything when someone makes a nasty or snide remark about something on here, but geez, really? All this crap about a book that a lot of people like and are interested in finding other books that run along the same line? Who cares?! The OP was just looking for other books to read. By the way, there were some great ideas put out there that I plan on looking into. :laugh:

Okay, off my soapbox. Hope that everyone has a great day and happy reading!
  • RAF_Guy
    RAF_Guy Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    50 Shades Generator:

http://www.fiftyshadesgenerator.com/

Quite funny
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    You know, anyone who has a snide or nasty remark to make about the books people read should just keep it to themselves. Most books are meant to entertain and that is probably what 50 Shades did for most people. Some of us may not like what you read but you don't see us bashing you. You are of course entitled to your opinion but man, you could be a little nicer about it. Okay, so you didn't like the book. We got it. LOL

"bashing you"? Please don't take my post personally. I'm not bashing "you", I'm giving out my opinion in a public forum. I love reading and literature and in my opinion the book is trash and this has absolutely nothing to do with you, your likes, your enjoyment of the book..etc etc.

You will find that a lot of people have purchased the book to see what the fuss was about, but for every positive review, there is one person who hated it.

It's a bit like marmite. I love it, but if you hate it, please feel free to say it tastes of poo, it has nothing to do with me and it won't affect my enjoyment of it on hot buttered toast!

(except I really should stay clear of the butter right now haha).

^Took the words right out of my mouth.

Also, yes, books are meant to entertain, but books--like TV shows, video games, and movies--also have a profound affect on the human mind. Writers have the right to publish whatever they want, but personally, I also believe in narrative integrity. A book can still be entertaining--in fact, I'd wager it would be more entertaining--if the proper research is executed and more effort is put into a plausible premise. If that had been done, you probably wouldn't be hearing my complaints. The reality of the matter, however, is that 50 Shades does not present a plausible premise, and then follows that up with a relationship full of unsafe practices--things that the BDSM community as a whole has firmly stated would never happen in a sane and consensual BDSM relationship--and then establishes that as "normal". If James called it as it was, okay. If she meant it as irony, okay. But she meant neither of those things. She's just a bad writer, and it's easy to open fire on such a weak narrative when the prose itself is riddled with such cringe-worthy phrases as "My inner goddess is doing the merengue with some salsa moves."

Feel free to bash what I read. I won't take it personally. I'd like to think that most of my reading material is more easily defensible than 50 Shades of Grey, but I suppose you never know. :flowerforyou:
    I enjoyed the books, some of the repetition was tiresome, but I did like the content and was entertained. If you are someone that picks every book you read apart then you wouldn't like these books. But if you can look past the writing style and just enjoy the content I think it was pretty entertaining. Obviously it isn't that horrible since it is selling so well and they are looking to make it into a movie.

Just because the masses are buying it doesn't mean it's not horrible. Especially since it's a self-perpetuating cycle: people keep buying it because people keep talking about it. The number of sales it makes says nothing about its quality.

It's called different strokes for different folks, you don't like it and that's fine. It might be horrible for you but good reading for someone else. But just because you say it is horrible that only means it's horrible to you, you only speak for you, unless someone else allows you to speak for them, and I am not one of those people.

Also if it was such a horrible book to everyone that read it, they wouldn't be making it into a movie and it wouldn't be selling so well if EVERY single person thought it was a terrible book, you are not every single person. The self perpetuating cycle could have gone either way, but I suspect more people liked it than didn't like it, hence the direction of the cycle.
  • brandalini
    brandalini Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I love the entire series! Mmmm Christian Grey

edited to say:

I'm not saying it's a piece of literary art, but it is pretty great erotica/romance in my opinion :D
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options

edited to say:

I'm not saying it's a piece of literary art, but it is pretty great erotica/romance in my opinion :D

So abusiv relationships,the kind women go to shelters to get away from turns you on? Im not even talking about the really really bad writing,im talking about the fact that he stalks her,tells her what to eat,controls pretty much her whole life. Can you please tell me how that has anything to do with romance?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options

edited to say:

So abusiv relationships,the kind women go to shelters to get away from turns you on? Im not even talking about the really really bad writing,im talking about the fact that he stalks her,tells her what to eat,controls pretty much her whole life. Can you please tell me how that has anything to do with romance?

you can't rape the willing (i am not talking about statutory either), in other words different things turn on different people, as long as they are consenting then it isn't an abusive relationship. she said erotica/romance, which it is. Can you please explain to me why you are on some kind of crusade to dictate what consenting adults should do in their own relationships based on what you feel is right or wrong? You don't like the book.....................we get it, it is just a damn book, Christchex, don't read it, BAM problem solved.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    It made me touch myself "down there".

"bites lip*

Did it make you wonder what that tingly feeling was too?
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I didn't hate these books but they by no means deserve to sell so well. They're poorly written, I read today that Ana said, "Jeez" 72 times. They're also Twilight Fan Fiction, so they're basically Twilight with sex and not vampires.

Unfortunately, they are a fad and people read them just to see what the fuss is about. There are so many better books out there that do deserves this kind of recognition.
  • brandalini
    Options

edited to say:

It's about Dom/sub relationships, which in his other ones the girls sign a contract. They have the option of not signing it, and have the option to put their hard limits in as well. Which is something she did, about the food and a few other things. She also lets him know that while she cares for him, she doesn't want to be beaten harshly and is into learning and playing, just on a lesser level than he's used to. Which is he comes to turn with, even though it's his sexual desire to do so.

I like kink in the bedroom, I find no problem with it at all if there are open lines of communication. An abusive relationship and a kink relationship are two very different things. And there are parts I wasn't to keen on (the tampon part was a little disgusting for my tastes), but I realize everyone has different tastes and so should you.
  • SouthernSkylark
    SouthernSkylark Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Anyone read this? I just finished and thought it was awesome! Im kinda depressed because now i have nothing to read or look forward to read, lol. Anyone know of any books similar to twilight, 50 shades if grey or anything like mitch alboms books?

Read Bare to You by Sylvia Day. I know what you mean, I get depressed when books are over. Oh, also read JR Ward, Black Dagger Brotherhood. The first is Dark Lover, you'll love it. Happy reading!

Ohhhh those JR Ward books are awesome! I also recommend Anita Blake books by Laurell K Hamilton! Mmmm Jean-Claude.....
  • SouthernSkylark
    SouthernSkylark Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    The Sleeping Beauty series by A.N. Roquelaire (Anne Rice) very smutty

^^^^^^ What she said....I read those about 10 years ago. Kinda like 50 shades, but a little more hard core.

I forgot about them! Much harder!!! Lol
  • brandalini
    Options
    The Sleeping Beauty series by A.N. Roquelaire (Anne Rice) very smutty

^^^^^^ What she said....I read those about 10 years ago. Kinda like 50 shades, but a little more hard core.

I forgot about them! Much harder!!! Lol

Oooh, I did too! I love them! I also really like the Kushiel series by Jacqueline Carey
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that find this book boring. I started months and months ago and I cant read much of it. I just started the second book this book.
    That woman is trying to make it all kinky and s*** but thats more like kinky 101, come on, if you want me to keep reading 5 pages of sex, at least make it real kinky
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    BUMP-having 50 shades withdrawals.
  • sfarrell1359
    sfarrell1359 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

edited to say:

It's about Dom/sub relationships, which in his other ones the girls sign a contract. They have the option of not signing it, and have the option to put their hard limits in as well. Which is something she did, about the food and a few other things. She also lets him know that while she cares for him, she doesn't want to be beaten harshly and is into learning and playing, just on a lesser level than he's used to. Which is he comes to turn with, even though it's his sexual desire to do so.

I like kink in the bedroom, I find no problem with it at all if there are open lines of communication. An abusive relationship and a kink relationship are two very different things. And there are parts I wasn't to keen on (the tampon part was a little disgusting for my tastes), but I realize everyone has different tastes and so should you.

But she never actually signs the contract, she doesn't want to. And yes she agrees to try things in the bedroom but he still controls a lot of her life even when she asks him not to. For example, he buys the company where she works even though she gets angry about it and he says he would do it anyway "because he can." Also the showing up when she is visiting her mom and stalking her. I think when people say abusive and controlling it is those things they are talking about. And again, she never actually signs the contract. my biggest problem with her is how quickly she gives into him even when he treats her like garbage. Who would put up with that?

I also wonder what people think about the end of the second book when he takes care of his ex-sub. I can't see anyone being ok with their SO doing that with an ex. This also bothered me because he had such a problem with her hanging out with her guy friend but then it was ok for him to be friends with Mrs. Robinson and help his ex-sub.

I reallly wish I never read the second and glad I didn't move on to the third.
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    *bangs head*

How many of these threads are there going to be?

The book SUCKED. The sex SUCKED. The BDSM was far from real life. The writing was poor. Anna was a wishy washy girl who, if I didn't know she was supposed to be in her twenties acted like she was thirteen. I found it hard to believe that she had never been kissed, never touched herself and didn't know what all those "strange and tingly feelings DOWN THERE were. I found it to be incredibly sophomoric. Truth be told I skimmed through the book looking for the good parts -- which didn't exist -- and didn't even bother with the rest of the series.

I love what you have written here! I'm about halfway thru the book. It's absolutely horrible. I may not even finish it. Don't know how many more "inner goddess" crap I can take. I've read elsewhere that readers are referring to the sex scenes as "tantalizing," "arousing," "erotic," etc. I'm finding them repetitive, lame, lackluster, juvenile and boring. And...it's set in the Pacific Northwest. Really? Uhm...we in the PNW don't talk like that. There's a bit too much Brit-speak there, in my opinion. About the BDSM...I wouldn't know how far off the author is about that. I am def taking your word for it! I've read comments on other forums from BDSM-experienced people, and they are saying the same. Seems like the author should have taken the advice that "Christian" gave to "Anastasia." Which was "Do you research." I won't be reading the other books.

I could barely get through the first chapter of 50 shades of grey....All my friends have been raving about this book so I was like let me borrow it. I have forced myself to read it a couple times now and get a few pages into it starts irritating me. Im not even interested enough to look for what I expect to be very poor smut.:noway: :grumble: Wondering about some of these other books though., so bump