50 shades of grey!

Options

Replies

• sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    All of this is quite subjective...what may be a garbage read for some, is an erotic sexual love story for others...just a matter of opinion and taste...

Bad writing is bad writing.

I don't care about the subject. I don't care if women fall in love with a fictional character who's a creep (or not. I just have to take others' words for that.). I read a wide variety of books. I've read books I loved and books that in the end were not my taste. There are books that are, indeed, classic literature that I don't care for.

But as a writer, and hoping to one day be a published author, it's insulting and degrading that a book with such horrible, awful writing got published (not self-published, but actually picked up by a major publisher!). It's like the Met hanging your 3-year-old's scribbles next to a Renoir and saying they're equal.

That's fine that you have your opinion, but for those of us who liked the book and enjoyed it, let us have our moment. That's fine if you think it's "garbage", don't read it. Ever hear that saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Write something better for us to read then.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    All of this is quite subjective...what may be a garbage read for some, is an erotic sexual love story for others...just a matter of opinion and taste...

Bad writing is bad writing.

I don't care about the subject. I don't care if women fall in love with a fictional character who's a creep (or not. I just have to take others' words for that.). I read a wide variety of books. I've read books I loved and books that in the end were not my taste. There are books that are, indeed, classic literature that I don't care for.

But as a writer, and hoping to one day be a published author, it's insulting and degrading that a book with such horrible, awful writing got published (not self-published, but actually picked up by a major publisher!). It's like the Met hanging your 3-year-old's scribbles next to a Renoir and saying they're equal.

That's fine that you have your opinion, but for those of us who liked the book and enjoyed it, let us have our moment. That's fine if you think it's "garbage", don't read it. Ever hear that saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Write something better for us to read then.

The problem is that people think 50 Shades IS good writing. Not everyone, but a lot of people. It's really and truly sad to me. And makes me afraid for the future of literature. I don't care if people enjoy it as brain candy. It's the people who think it's actually good writing who bother me. It isn't. That is not an opinion. It's a fact. It is bad writing by every definition of writing. The overuse of the same words over and over and over again, the terrible grammar, the unimaginative and unrealistic dialogue and not to mention that I thought it was set in Canada because E.L James couldn't even be bothered to learn American dialect make it BAD WRITING.

It has nothing to do with story or character. This book did not deserve to be put between two covers by a major publisher. It's dumbing down to the masses. It's actually worse than Harlequin romances. Next to 50 Shades, Harlequin looks like something that college English professors should teach.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    This thread is a joke, right? Please tell me it is...
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Ever hear that saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."
    Yes, I believe it was a cartoon rabbit who said that, and it's bad advice.

If you want to have a discussion where no one gets to disagree with your opinion, I suggest a private group.
  • ruurik
    ruurik Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this was already mentioned/seen. I don't know much about 50 Shades of Grey but this comedy audio book made me crack up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K1RcKJVbHA
  • mrodriguez81
    mrodriguez81 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm actually reading them again. I loved the series. I also read the Twilight Saga. I recommend the Sookie Stackhouse (True Blood) series. They are good.
  • bberg0521
    bberg0521 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Anyone read this? I just finished and thought it was awesome! Im kinda depressed because now i have nothing to read or look forward to read, lol. Anyone know of any books similar to twilight, 50 shades if grey or anything like mitch alboms books?

I am the same way. I was sooo addicted to the books. I would have them on my iphone kindle and read them at work. Needless to say now that those are done I am actually getting work done. :smile:
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Anne Rice has an old one back out that didn't go over years ago b/c of the graphic language it had and it is being compared to 50 Shades....It's called Snow White Series....

I googled 50 Shades of Grey and there were quite a few links with other books that are very similar to it....Check it out!! There are tons of them...I didn't realize how many there were until I looked it up. Have fun!! :happy:

ETA: I have never read it but I have requested it from the library....I am not sure if I will like it or not but I am leaning towards loving it...We shall see.
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    8108_3071649290085_1560984559_n1.jpg

LOL! OMG, I love this!!! This is SO FUNNY!!!! Thanks for the laugh!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Anne Rice has an old one back out that didn't go over years ago b/c of the graphic language it had and it is being compared to 50 Shades....It's called Snow White Series....

I googled 50 Shades of Grey and there were quite a few links with other books that are very similar to it....Check it out!! There are tons of them...I didn't realize how many there were until I looked it up. Have fun!! :happy:

ETA: I have never read it but I have requested it from the library....I am not sure if I will like it or not but I am leaning towards loving it...We shall see.

no..not snow white...sleeping beauty...the Beauty trilogy, written under her pen name A.N. Roquelaure.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    *yawn*
    What's up with all the 50 shades threads?
    :explode:
  • court211006
    Options
    you have to read all books by Sherrilyn Kennyon, Kinley McGregor & Christine Feehan (all the same very talented lady just different names)

my favourite of her series are:

Dark Hunters
    Carpathians
    Ghost Walkers
    Born series

alot of supernatural/sci-fi/alternative universe but definitely the most amazing ever.
  • kaajay
    kaajay Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already, you should read the Sleeping Beauty trilogy that was penned by Anne Rice -- she wrote under a different name, which is A. N. Roquelaure. These are ORIGINAL. I read this long before Twilight and all (actually about 20 years ago), and I still remember the series. I would definitely read it again!
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Christian Grey!
    I read all 3 books in about 2 weeks.
  • jenmfpal
    jenmfpal Posts: 124
    Options
    In the Secret Hours by Marilyn Jaye Lewis is a go back to favorite for me.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    2553ya0.jpg
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    McKaylaShadesofGrey.jpg?t=1344619916
  • TxAngel79
    TxAngel79 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm reading Bared to You by Sylvia Day. Almost a better story and VERY hot!!! Christian Grey or Gideon Cross...? I can't decide!!!!! LOL

Thanks! I just picked it up!! And I read random pages and WOW!!! I'm thinking I may fall in love with Gideon!!!
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Google these authors:
    Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse novels)
    Rachel Caine
    L.J. Smith (Vampire Diaries, Night World, etc)
    J.R.Ward
    Dean Koontz
    P.C. Cast
    Tess Gerritsen
    There's a ton more but my brain doesn't want to work :grumble: :laugh:
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    WOW!! Just read some of the other comments about this topic...people have choices..to read the trilogy or not...*and if we're going to talk about the characters as if they were real people*, again Ana CHOSE to stay with Christian...and if these two *fictional characters* hit a nerve with some people, then examine why it bothers you so much...true, there are women who are in abusive. controlling relationships in today's world (been there myself)....yet its again, a choice...a choice to stay or a choice to walk away....

In the books, Christian and Ana agreed on a safe word...and in one scene she actually used it...and Christian stopped...she agreed to the erotic sex life, actually looked forward to times in the Red Room...in the beginning he laid out all the details regarding the relationship..and after much inner debate, Ana agreed to it...

And one final note...*ITS A BOOK*!!! Not well written, true!!! Just a sexy, erotic story!!!

Did you write this book? If you did can I say without pulling any punches that it is sh!te.
    Ajnd if we're going to go around in circles being pedantic here's my pedantic point, you're the one saying you'd 'FALL IN LOVE WITH CHRISTIAN'... It's just a book. How can you fall in love with a fictional character?
    It's a terrible read. Read it if what you consider literature is closer to US Weekly than Oscar Wilde.

so I gotta ask, why does other people liking these books knot your panties up so tightly? I mean you sound seriously pissed that anyone could enjoy this book, like someone is punching you in the face anytime someone says they enjoy it, why does it matter to you that much what others enjoy in their own lives. I just can't figure it out, like people that jump all over vegans when they find out that's their eating style, making them feel like they are doing something wrong/stupid for liking something different than them. Is that the kind of person you really are? So you loathed the book, so what , your opinion, and others have theirs. You can say because it's horribly written or dumbing down america or whatever possible excuse you can think of but honestly you just sound like you just want something to B!tch about that has no bearing on your life whatsoever which is pretty pointless.
    It's funny, one way or another this book is affecting women's panties, whether it's tightening them into a pissed off little bunch or wetting them.