Horizon Eat, fast and live longer

Options

Replies

• MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    am doing 5:2 and would be interested in joining a group , was just wondering if there was one.

Don't think so - fancy starting one? I'll join!
  • alizon15
    alizon15 Posts: 59
    Options
    have just joined this one, Fasting Protocols which covers different fasting tchniques. am not sure enough of myself to be admin of a group ,lol but would like to join if someone does start a 5:2 one.
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    have just joined this one, Fasting Protocols which covers different fasting tchniques. am not sure enough of myself to be admin of a group ,lol but would like to join if someone does start a 5:2 one.

Ah yes, the protocols group - I'm going to get in there, but would like to join a specific 5:2 one also. Perhaps if we drop enough hints ...
  • alizon15
    Options

Ah yes, the protocols group - I'm going to get in there, but would like to join a specific 5:2 one also. Perhaps if we drop enough hints ...

was rather hoping someone would start a specific one :ohwell:
  • MissMaggie3
    Options

No reason why you can't make a 5:2 topic in the group.

Good idea!
  • castle88
    castle88 Posts: 27
    Options
    I watched the horizon program too - very interesting! I mentioned it to someone I work with and he told me he'd been doing the 5:2 diet since February and had dropped from 56kg to 49kg (he is teeny btw).

I have now done two weeks on the 5:2 and have lost 5lbs and 1.25in off my waist, amazing! I try to eat my maintenance calories or less on the other days and have been hitting the gym at the same time. A couple of days I have gone way over maintenance though so I'm pleased to see the weight is still dropping.

Overall its been easy enough to stick to, I have one 400-500cal meal at lunch (couscous bulked out with courgette and grilled chicken breast makes a huge volume of food for those calories). However sleeping has been hard - I'm so excited about breakfast the next morning it feels like christmas eve!

Also - on the normal days I have huge cravings for sugary food, which I don't usually - anyone else experienced this??
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I watched the horizon program too - very interesting! I mentioned it to someone I work with and he told me he'd been doing the 5:2 diet since February and had dropped from 56kg to 49kg (he is teeny btw).

I have now done two weeks on the 5:2 and have lost 5lbs and 1.25in off my waist, amazing! I try to eat my maintenance calories or less on the other days and have been hitting the gym at the same time. A couple of days I have gone way over maintenance though so I'm pleased to see the weight is still dropping.

Overall its been easy enough to stick to, I have one 400-500cal meal at lunch (couscous bulked out with courgette and grilled chicken breast makes a huge volume of food for those calories). However sleeping has been hard - I'm so excited about breakfast the next morning it feels like christmas eve!

Also - on the normal days I have huge cravings for sugary food, which I don't usually - anyone else experienced this??

I've just done week 2 fast 2 and found that I'm looking for sweet stuff the next day too. Have you noticed that you're hungry and looking for meals a bit earlier than usual the next day too?

Would anyone like to post a link to the 5:2 group please? I don't know how to find it / join. Thanks
  • castle88
    castle88 Posts: 27
    Options
    Yes definitely - I can usually have a shower and things when I get up and have breakfast afterwards but on the day after a fast I need food as soon as I wake up and the hunger is never fully satisfied! Which makes sense I suppose considering I'm working on around a 1600cal deficit from the day before! I would need to have two breakfasts and two large dinners to make up for that - which is why it works I suppose!
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this since Monday and I feel good :smile:
  • CatholicUK
    CatholicUK Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I do one day fast, one day off, cont.

If anyone else is doing on/off/on/off please add me up!
  • alizon15
    Options
    I do one day fast, one day off, cont.

If anyone else is doing on/off/on/off please add me up!

am doing somewhere between 5:2 and alternate day , depending on what am doing socially, happy to add and compare.

ps there is now a 5:2 topic section on the Fasting Protocols group mentioned above, courtesy of Pu_239.
  • beattie1
    Options

I've just done week 2 fast 2 and found that I'm looking for sweet stuff the next day too. Have you noticed that you're hungry and looking for meals a bit earlier than usual the next day too?

Would anyone like to post a link to the 5:2 group please? I don't know how to find it / join. Thanks

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/7916-fasting-protocols

just click join group. I guess i'll make the 5/2 topic since no one else has.
    [/quote]

:heart: Thank you!
  • parveen2013
    parveen2013 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Now I am back to work after the school holidays, I am back on the 5:2 diet. I did it yesterday and I consumed 545 calories. I am finding it hard to hit 500 calories. I agree, I am very hungry on the non fast days. It seems that I have lost weight but I will be sure when I weight in next Monday.
  • mermer45
    mermer45 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Just wondering on everybody's progress.

I been fasting on Monday, Wednesday and Friday since the horizon programme and so far have kept to it. On those days I eat only at supper and consume around 600 calories....and occasionally a little more if I've also done some exercise during the day.

Results so far.
    Weight down to 78.7kg fom 84 kg
    Bodyfat down by 4.5%

Subjectively I feel a whole lot healthier with more energy. However, sometimes find it hard to sleep as well on the fasting days.
    Am thinking about getting blood test done so I can measure more objectively....anybody else done that.?

Finding the fasting days quite easy now and really only experience a dip in energy at around 4:00pm....but it doesn't last for long.

As per the programme I've also cut down my protein intake and looking at my results nearly all my weight loss has come from fat rather than lean muscle..

So far so good....it's starting to become more lifestyle for me.

Would be interested in hearing the results, observations etc of others....
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jelben
    jelben Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I watched the Horizon programme almost eight weeks ago, and my husband and I have been doing the 5:2 version for the last 7 weeks. I've lost eight kgs, as has my husband, his psoriasis has virtually disappeared, and we both feel great. We mostly watch what we eat the rest of the time too, with at least one "cheat day" at the weekend.

The fasting part gets easier too, once your brain realises that you're not going to starve, and rather than bingeing when we come off the fast days, we seem to naturally ease in to eating, with a much greater awareness and appreciation of what goes in our mouth. Another bonus is that our shopping bill has gone down.

If you're wavering, I'd say give it a go.
  • beattie1
    Options
    I've done 6 weeks and lost 12 lbs. I find I feel a bit apprehensive when starting a fast day, but that goes about half way through. I find it hard to cook dinner without snacking.
  • fizzy123
    fizzy123 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Interesting! bump
  • clairaustin
    Options
    Hi there

I am just starting this diet, have managed two days this week, fast day tomorrow. I know the jury is out re whether to eat the cals at one go, but just wondered what you guys are doing? Cheers clair
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I eat every day after 4pm. I am feeling absolutely great!! This is finally the lifestyle for me!!! I feel so much more energy when I am not digesting food all the time :)