Horizon Eat, fast and live longer

Options
123457»

Replies

• OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ I did not watch Horizon ... but I have been using " IF " ( Intermittent Fasting ) for about six months now ... and I love it ! I also throw in a 24 hr, 36 hr and 48 hr fast in the mix every couple of weeks.

I love fasting and " IF " has been an incredible way for me to focus on when I really need to eat. I would encourage anybody to try these strategies ... but understand, it isn't about a " diet " ... it's a lifestyle change. In order to feel comfortable and maintain the loss ... you have to get it in your head that this is a permanent change for the better.

The hardest reality for most people who see fasting as a quick solution ... they binge big time after this process ! Resulting in weight gain .. sometimes more than they lost originally. You have to have the right mindset ... do the research and prepare for this change.

Go into this with a positive attitude and start out slow. What most people don't realize is we all fast every day during our lives ... from our last meal, through the sleep mode and until we consume our first meal the next day. It is a natural course of action.

This a great read and is free .... John Berardi is brilliant ... plain and simple.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting

Best of luck !

:flowerforyou:
  • KIERZE
    Options
    The horizon program was not about weight loss, although it is a side effect if you are maintaining a healthy balance along side it. What the program focuses on is reducing IGF-1, in order to slow down cell reproduction and allow your body to repair its existing cells better. This method is also suggested that it improves longevity, memory, delays Alzheimer's , dementia, reduces cholesterol, and reduces blood sugar levels.

I think the key is focusing on a healthy life style along side this and you will reap all of the benefits.
  • mermer45
    mermer45 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The horizon program was not about weight loss, although it is a side effect if you are maintaining a healthy balance along side it. What the program focuses on is reducing IGF-1, in order to slow down cell reproduction and allow your body to repair its existing cells better. This method is also suggested that it improves longevity, memory, delays Alzheimer's , dementia, reduces cholesterol, and reduces blood sugar levels.

I think the key is focusing on a healthy life style along side this and you will reap all of the benefits.

This is all correct, but it is also worth putting IGF-1 into perspective.

Mike Mosely, the presenter of the programme, is in his 50's, had a high IGF-1 reading, and had a father who suffered from prostate cancer. Therefore, lowering IGF-1 was of primary importance to him for the reasons you stipulate.

There is other evidence that suggests that low readings of IGF-1 are positively associated with osteoporosis and certain heart conditions.

Therefore it's probably advisable for people to consider their age, their risk factors and also have a blood test for IGF-1 before using this as the primary focus of their diet.