Calorie deficit for dummies (a little long)

Options

Replies

• Advengirl
    Advengirl Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm self bumping. Is that really so wrong? :ohwell:

Definitely not :D

But just to make you feel better..

:::bump:::

Thanks for the post & all the good info!!!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    My favorite part out of all of that was your advice to step back and see if it's working. For me, it's not. I need to re-evaluate and come up with a new game plan. Thanks for adding that part in. Sometimes people (myself included) just keep going with something (dieting or otherwise) without taking the time to look around and see if it's working or not. Great point! :flowerforyou:
  • mommy22
    mommy22 Posts: 16
    Options
    This was great, I would like to request you start another topic on "switching tactics" after you've lost that initial 25-30 pounds. For example, I'm doing a 1200-calorie diet right now, with high-yield food that keeps me full all day long, and 5 hours of cardio a week. After I lose the first 25 pounds, I am thinking of doing a low-carb diet to switch things up for my metabolism.

I just think the topic of breaking plateaus isn't broached upon enough. The focus is always initial weightloss, blah blah.
  • AmandaB4588
    Options
    Excellent post--- thanks so much.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    This was great, I would like to request you start another topic on "switching tactics" after you've lost that initial 25-30 pounds. For example, I'm doing a 1200-calorie diet right now, with high-yield food that keeps me full all day long, and 5 hours of cardio a week. After I lose the first 25 pounds, I am thinking of doing a low-carb diet to switch things up for my metabolism.

I just think the topic of breaking plateaus isn't broached upon enough. The focus is always initial weightloss, blah blah.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/20343-how-i-have-avoided-plateauing-length-warning
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/20343-how-i-have-avoided-plateauing-length-warning

ahh, you did it already. Good, I don't have to hunt for the link.

I have slowly lost an addl 5 pounds since hitting my goal weight. I can afford to lose another 10 or 15 pounds, so this is a good thing.

I was shooting for maintaining my weight, and by watching what I eat, and continueing on a generally healthier lifestyle, I lost 5 more pounds over the past year.

For me, not thinking about each ounce has been very beneficial. I read and learn and try new things. Cutting out the sugar and whites has helped a lot in the tummy area(thanks Marla:flowerforyou: ).........or I am just at the stage where that crummy belly fat is going away:ohwell:

I guess my point is..................it takes time. Once you are in a normal range, it is harder to lose. Exercise more, DON'T go back to that junk food that made you feel like crap both physically and mentally, and know that you will lose more weight! :flowerforyou:

Steve-thanks for another great article. :smooched:
  • danielley08
    Options
    Banks...you are an AWESOME man!! Such an inspiration and SO full of knowledge...I'm active duty millitary and now that my husband and I have "completed" our family and I am completely focused on getting myself back in a healthy "war-fighter" state of mind...I am taking in between 1100-1200 cals a day and feeling very satisfied...I am working out 2 times a day 6 times a week and so far it seems to be working...my stats are as follows: SW:208.6, CW:202.8 and I just started the hard core focus on food and exercise on the 19th...I did a Bod Pod analysis and my BF was 48% (YUCK!!) and my TEE was around 1750 or so...I will be doing the Bod Pod once a month until I reach my goal weight...

Once again...thank you SO much for all your wonderful knowledge!!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post as always Banks! Thanks!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Awe thanks guys! Good luck to all!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,059 Member
    Options
    BUMP AND:

all these great Banks posts (and some other smart peoplel's musings) are also in ONE CONVENIENT SPOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

scroll through the pages on the link, I add on when I find another good one. :flowerforyou:

Hi Steve!
    BUMP:)
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    bumping the banks today!! :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    felt like bumping Banks this morning:blushing:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    bump
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    thanks! will read when i get home :bigsmile:
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Great post but every time I read one of these I just get more confused and it makes me wonder if I am doing the right thing with calories.
    I try really hard to understand but whenever I think I got it post like these come around and confuse me more :laugh:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Great post but every time I read one of these I just get more confused and it makes me wonder if I am doing the right thing with calories.
    I try really hard to understand but whenever I think I got it post like these come around and confuse me more :laugh:

what are you confused about? We're here to help. After you've read it, and still have questions, we're more than happy to try to help you make sense of it.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    You're so helpful!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Great post - how haven't I seen this one before? I understand this stuff already, but this is a well-written, fairly easy to understand explanation of all of it. I'll have to remember to refer people here...
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    (quiote)As to when to eat, days of the week are a mental thing we impose on our selves. With all due respect to circadian rhythms, ideally, you want to eat relatively soon after you work out (for anaerobic work) or an hour or so before you work out (for aerobic work, cardiovascular work). Why? because cardio doesn't really increase your EPOC (google EPOC for more info), and anaerobic work (weight training, any training that causes muscular failure or the fatigue "burn" where you can't do another rep.) requires muscles to rebuild post workout, which requires fuel AND protein (I.E. carbs and protein).
    [/quote]

Banks I love your posts, very informative. Now, I have a question about fueling the body. My workout this morning was a 60 minute cardio sculpt class (very similar to a body pump class)-low impact cardio, light weights (3-5 lbs.) many, many reps. Excellent for toning as well as building strength. Then I went to a 45 minute spin class. So for that type of workout, how should I fuel? I get up at 6 a.m. but don't start working out until 8 due to kid chauffering. I'm at the gym until 10:15 or so and usually home by 10:30 (unless there are errands). Since it's such a big mix of exercises, am I better off to eat a lot before I workout out? A little first thing then a lot afterwards? I'm one of those people who are hungry in the morning when I wake up and I'm ready to eat when I get home. Come to think of it, I'm pretty much always ready to eat!