Calorie deficit for dummies (a little long)

Options

Replies

• lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    bump!

i was still confused but after i continued to read the posts...THE LIGHTBULB IS FINALLY ON!!! This makes me sooo happy!! thank u!!!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,699 Member
    Options
    bump

I think we need a specific "Banks Bump" graphic. :tongue:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,060 Member
    Options
    bump

he has one, it's really scary - and I bet he'll be posting it now.eeek.gif
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    bump

he has one, it's really scary - and I bet he'll be posting it now.eeek.gif

you mean ?

bump.gif
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Banks I love your posts, very informative. Now, I have a question about fueling the body. My workout this morning was a 60 minute cardio sculpt class (very similar to a body pump class)-low impact cardio, light weights (3-5 lbs.) many, many reps. Excellent for toning as well as building strength. Then I went to a 45 minute spin class. So for that type of workout, how should I fuel? I get up at 6 a.m. but don't start working out until 8 due to kid chauffering. I'm at the gym until 10:15 or so and usually home by 10:30 (unless there are errands). Since it's such a big mix of exercises, am I better off to eat a lot before I workout out? A little first thing then a lot afterwards? I'm one of those people who are hungry in the morning when I wake up and I'm ready to eat when I get home. Come to think of it, I'm pretty much always ready to eat!

I would say with that much going on that early, try to eat something pretty much as soon as you get up, something with some carbs. but not to much, say 250 cals or so (maybe some whole grain toast or something). then right after something with a little sugar in it like a banana or apple paired with some protein like a little chicken or some egg whites, just to replenish any protein. doesn't need to be a lot, but at least 8 or 10 grams of protein after. You can go with nuts if you like, but generally, I would avoid high fat nuts as fat doesn't help that situation (it doesn't hurt either though).
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,699 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. :noway: :laugh:
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options

Banks I love your posts, very informative. Now, I have a question about fueling the body. My workout this morning was a 60 minute cardio sculpt class (very similar to a body pump class)-low impact cardio, light weights (3-5 lbs.) many, many reps. Excellent for toning as well as building strength. Then I went to a 45 minute spin class. So for that type of workout, how should I fuel? I get up at 6 a.m. but don't start working out until 8 due to kid chauffering. I'm at the gym until 10:15 or so and usually home by 10:30 (unless there are errands). Since it's such a big mix of exercises, am I better off to eat a lot before I workout out? A little first thing then a lot afterwards? I'm one of those people who are hungry in the morning when I wake up and I'm ready to eat when I get home. Come to think of it, I'm pretty much always ready to eat!

I would say with that much going on that early, try to eat something pretty much as soon as you get up, something with some carbs. but not to much, say 250 cals or so (maybe some whole grain toast or something). then right after something with a little sugar in it like a banana or apple paired with some protein like a little chicken or some egg whites, just to replenish any protein. doesn't need to be a lot, but at least 8 or 10 grams of protein after. You can go with nuts if you like, but generally, I would avoid high fat nuts as fat doesn't help that situation (it doesn't hurt either though).

I think I'm good then. I usually have a piece of double fiber toast with almond butter (and coffee!!) before driving the kids around and have egg whites and some type of meat (canadian bacon, turkey bacon or turkey sausage) when I get home. I'll add some fruit to it, I have the room in my calorie budget. thanks!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

I think I'm good then. I usually have a piece of double fiber toast with almond butter (and coffee!!) before driving the kids around and have egg whites and some type of meat (canadian bacon, turkey bacon or turkey sausage) when I get home. I'll add some fruit to it, I have the room in my calorie budget. thanks!

the rule of thumb is carbs 2 hours before hard cardio (or as close to 2 as you can get) and protein/carbs immediately after resistance. If the cardio is over about 90 minutes, you should have a carbohydrate drink during it to keep your energy levels going.

If it's a mixed bag, you should probably treat it as such, I.E. eat the carbs before, then have a little protein and carbs after.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    bump
  • healthydoseofglitter
    Options
    bumping to read later
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    If I eat back the calories I burn off durning the day, aren't I then eating over my caorie goal for the day defeating the purpose of exercising?? Can someone help please?
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    If I eat back the calories I burn off durning the day, aren't I then eating over my caorie goal for the day defeating the purpose of exercising?? Can someone help please?

As was explained in this post, MFP builds your calorie deficit into your daily calorie goal - exercise calories are "extra". Please read this for further explanation, if the original post of this thread didn't help.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Thank you...I was under the impression that when the website asked how active I am and how many days a week I plan to workout, that it already was taking exercise into account. Yay for getting to eat extra calories! All the more motivation for me to workout!! Ha ha ha !!

Also, is there a way to calculate calories burned in my workouts, I do turbo fire.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options

People who have abused their body and are considered very obese or morbidly obese (starting somewhere around 35% body fat) have a different set of rules. Starvation mode generally doesn't apply, or applies less to these people because the extreme availability of extra fuel resources blunts the body's need for extra energy, and while people who are morbidly obese can still have a stunted metabolic rate, they can still generally sustain a large calorie deficit (over 1000 calories below TDEE) without further lowering their metabolism.

Yep. People who are obese, using this site for substantial weight loss, are often told by MFP forums that they will go into 'starvation mode'....laughable & ridiculous. Thanks for putting that into perspective.
  • kaits108
    kaits108 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    This post is great! Thank you!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

People who have abused their body and are considered very obese or morbidly obese (starting somewhere around 35% body fat) have a different set of rules. Starvation mode generally doesn't apply, or applies less to these people because the extreme availability of extra fuel resources blunts the body's need for extra energy, and while people who are morbidly obese can still have a stunted metabolic rate, they can still generally sustain a large calorie deficit (over 1000 calories below TDEE) without further lowering their metabolism.

Yep. People who are obese, using this site for substantial weight loss, are often told by MFP forums that they will go into 'starvation mode'....laughable & ridiculous. Thanks for putting that into perspective.

eventually you'll realize that a lot of people say a lot of stuff on here without first asking about a person's individual situation. There are so many factors to weight loss that it's almost impossible to even give reasonable advice without first finding out about the person. You'll see a reoccurring theme in many of my reply posts, and they all ask basically the same thing, age, weight, height, activity level, goal deficit, and if they have any medical conditions. At least then I can make an informed guess on the situation. Even then, it's really thin to work off that little information.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Bump
  • deamacgray
    deamacgray Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bump!