What do you listen to when you run?

Options
I am on week 7 of C25K. I need some up beat music that will help me get through my run. Any suggestions?

Replies

• KellyUK1987
    Options
    I listen to my favourite bands / songs that make me smile... that way I'm in a good mood :)

I listen to You me at Six, Mayday Parade, Starting Line, Boys Like Girls etc.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Metallica, Pantera, Rob Zombie, Anthrax, Slayer and Five Finger Death Punch.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I personally just make sure to have a playlist of music I really like, without really worrying about the particular tempo/beat. I found that when I tried to purposely choose music just because it was more up tempo, I didn't like the music as much and I would end up trying to change the song or it would make the work out just feel longer because I was stuck listening to stuff I didn't like.

But when I have songs that I really love, it makes the workout easier because it's just really good music playing for me while I go. Also, it often just becomes a backdrop to the thoughts running through my head as I go. I'll often find myself suddenly hearing the music in my ears and realizing that I don't have any clue what the last few songs were that played because I was focusing on other things. Whether it was my run, stuff I was going to do that day, or what I was going to make for dinner later.

I keep my pace by my breathing, my heart rate and occasional check-ins from the app I have running in the background on my phone. :)
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    hey, here are some resources for ya:

http://jogtunes.com/
    http://www.run2r.com/
    http://jog.fm/

I've liked jog.fm so far.

I mostly listen to ridiculous pop music...heavy beat....some on my list are:

American Woman - Lenny Kravitz
    Breakin' Dishes - Rihanna
    Do You Wanna Touch Me - Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
    Kodachrome - Paul Simon
    Moves Like Jagger - Maroon 5
    Pump up the Jam - Technotronic
    Sexy and I know it - LMFAO (so embarassed to type that, but it's true)

Good luck - and great job on C25K I loved it!
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    I listen to church music...the playlist I have is just ripped from an old songs for worship CD that one of my friends copied for me in high school so I have no idea who it is or anything, but it is full of songs that we sang often at my parents' church, and they are pretty upbeat. Sometimes I listen to country. Just listen to whatever you like :)
  • sharfisher
    sharfisher Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I listen to Alec Baldwin. He's my running buddy. :wink:

I just downloaded a few of his "Here's the Thing" podcasts and they are good company on long runs. I was so deadly tired of my other running tunes but now I switch between podcasts and my old standards -- Florence and the Machine (esp. Dog Days are Over), Jay-Z empire state of mind, Black Keys, Beastie Boys, Beck, Chiddy Bang, Lana del Rey
  • sharfisher
    sharfisher Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    ...and I have to say Chiddy Bang's "Breakfast" is near perfect pre-race music.
  • Eafears
    Eafears Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I use the website RockMyRun.com to get my playlists. They have a large selection from dj's and keep it up beat. you can choose the type of music you like and the BPM is listed for each mix.
  • skinnygurl02
    skinnygurl02 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Black eyes peas, Flo Rida, Justin Bieber (Embarrassing, I know)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I like the old stuff.

My current playlist
    Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, Nazareth, Jefferson Airplane, ZZ Top, Nirvana, Deep Purple, and Iron Butterfly.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    Ultimately, it probably has to be something that you actually like. It's a pretty personal thing and listening to what helps me run might not do anything for you.

I have a pretty eclectic mix of everything from dance and dubstep to Nicki Minaj and Eminem to Paramore and Lady Gaga.

The other day when I was on the treadmill, Headstrong by Trapt (an old favorite from like 2003) came on and I had to bump the pace up to like 9.5 mph because I was so pumped up. :P
  • jwatson7
    jwatson7 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the suggestions!! I currently have a bunch of today's hits on my playlist. They are songs that I like but I hear them all the time now on the radio and during my run so I needed some suggestions to change it up. Will have to look to everyone's recommendations and see what will work best for me. Thanks again!!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    A growling bear, since that's about the only time I could imagine myself running.
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    I'm a total nerd. I listen to audiobooks. Have no time to read otherwise, so I get my literary fix in while I work out.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    A growling bear, since that's about the only time I could imagine myself running.
    Haha @ this.

On my current "run" playlist

Flo-Rida - I Cry
    Flo-Rida - Whistle
    Flo-Rida - Run
    Katy Perry - Tommie Sunshine's Megasix Remix
    Toby Keith - Beers Ago
    Drake - The Motto
    Zac Brown Band - Jump Right In
    Notorious B.I.G. - Mo Money Mo Problems
    Matisyahu - Crossroads
    Chiddy Bang - Mind Your Manners
    Jay Sean - Im All Yours
    Kip More - Something Bout a Truck
    Kip More - Where Are You Tonight
    B.O.B. - Circles
    Gym Class Heroes - The Fighter
    Flo Rida - Good Feeling
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Here's a sample of my current workout playlist:

Back for More - Five Finger Death Punch
    Angry Again - Megadeth
    Hells Bells - AC/DC
    For Whom the Bell Toils - Metallica
    Hell Yeah - Rev Theory
    Diamond Eyes - Shinedown
    Walk - Pantera

Basically lots of Hard Rock and Thrash Metal.
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm a total nerd. I listen to audiobooks. Have no time to read otherwise, so I get my literary fix in while I work out.

I think that makes you totally cool.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I just listen to Pandora on the Hip Hop and Top 40 station.

When I did C25k I used a podcast that had all the music already picked for me.
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    I cycle, not run, but the same auditory circumstances nonetheless. I enjoy listening to the outdoor ambiance. When I'm weight training, I like to listen to metal; the new Circus Maximus album Nine has been getting me pumped up lately.
  • jwatson7
    jwatson7 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    "A growling bear, since that's about the only time I could imagine myself running."

LMAO!