i will never be good enough

Options
13»

Replies

• jillebean60
    jillebean60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Start now and learn to do what you're doing FOR YOURSELF. The end result will be that you can be proud of your accomplishment, strengthen your faith in your abilities and be healthy. You WILL NEVER succeed if the only reason you're doing this is to shut someone up. You have to want it because you love yourself and know your own value as a person. You're worth the effort!
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    If your profile picture is a current one - you look great!!!

It's called 'all or nothing' thinking. It's linked with perfectionism and low self-esteem. Just remember that you're not better or worse than anyone - but equal & you will start to regain your pride and self-esteem.

Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” ― Dr. Seuss

What your father says about other girls that you'd like to look like is not good & you need to make him understand that it bothers you.
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    Weight and athletic ability are pretty far down the list for self-worth criteria. It may be his standard, but you are not him, and hopefully you will strive for loftier goals that are all your own and realize the potential YOU were born with. Don't get sidetracked with other people's expectations; be true to yourself. The father/daughter dynamic is a complicated one and, as you evolve your own adult identity, you will have a deeper understanding of who your father is as a flawed human being. With more time, perhaps compassion for his struggle that made him who he is. You are starting life and will surpass him in every way when you achieve your goals and become a better person for it. Good luck on your journey :)
  • Fockertots
    Fockertots Posts: 221
    Options
    I know how you feel... except mine isn't weight/fitness related. My father thinks that nothing that I can do career wise is good enough. He can't wrap his head around the idea of working for a non-profit and making a small amount of money and LOVING my job vs. becoming a private practice therapist and making big bucks but being unhappy.

The thing is, you've gotta be happy for yourself. I know that it is way easier said than done, but once you've learned how to accept only positive comments and how to tell yourself that you're a rockstar, his unnecessary and rude comments will be the fuel you need to keep kicking *kitten*.

I wish you all the best!
  • marsh305
    Options
    You are good enough!!! Do not listen!!! You lost all that weight already, how lucky you are, and how wish I can say the same!!! You are important and have a reason for being, and that my weight loss friend, is helping people like me get the courage to proceed in trying to lose 25 pounds!! Thank you, and for your father, ignore him, he is not happy with his own self, so let him be, let his words go in one ear and out the other!
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    This 100%
    This has nothing to do with how good you are. It has everything to do with you dad having no confidence in himself and thinking bringing others down will make him bigger.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Thankyou everyone so much for all your support.

My mom and dad are divorced so I only see him every tues and every other weeked. I wouldn't go at all but I hate the fact that I would be hurting his feelings. I know its wrong and he hurts mine multiple times but I just can't help it. He is my dad and I guess I do just want his approval. My mom also just got married so I feel like I have to go over there to give them some space. She always says that anytime I want I can chose to stay at her house but than I bring it up and she says they really want some time alone.

I just don't know what to do.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place...

You're right -- at 17, and still living at home, you are "stuck" right now. And parental approval (esp. from Dad, if you're a girl) is so important. I feel for you, because I've BEEN there. :flowerforyou: Have you tried talking to him at all about how hurtful he is?

Just try to remember that although he is your dad, at some point he has to earn that right by treating you like a good father would. When you are older, and able to be on your own, you'll be able to choose whether he is someone you want to spend time with, and he may lose you if he's not careful. At that point, it's really his loss -- although it does HURT, and hurt a LOT, when a father can't be a good one to you. :sad:

If your mom is supportive of you, keep her close. Maybe talk to her more about how sad your father makes you (if you can share). Make sure that you spend as much time as you can w/people in your life that you trust, and who are there for you. Work on liking who you ARE, enjoy the beauty that you have in you (no matter what the scale), and do things that you have a passion for, or excel in. Build that confidence for YOURSELF, small step by small step. It'll come, even if it seems like forever.

When you do have to be with your father, try to just stay calm, and try to teach him what you will and will NOT tolerate. Each time he says something that tears you down, try to stay calm and just say, "Dad, I'm trying to have a conversation with you, but I can't have one if you're going to be hurtful and mean. I'll come back when you're ready." And every time he protests, or argues, walk away, and calmly repeat yourself. It sounds silly, but think of it like a game -- he wants to toss "bombs" at you, and if you refuse to catch and toss them back, he can't play. I had to do this with both of my parents for months before they finally stopped. And it SUCKED while I was doing it, but it worked.

I really feel for you, sweet pea. I'm almost 42, and I spent a lot of time crying over a father who is continually hurtful, disinterested, and selfish. I hate to see other girls doing the same, because I know how much it hurts. :cry: The good news is, it DOES get better. The older you get, the more you build yourself up, the more you will realize that no matter what your parents say or do, they do not make you who you are -- you are your own person, and you can control who you are, and who you become. That doesn't mean it won't hurt, and it doesn't mean it'll be easy....but you will find your own way, and your own self, and you'll find joy / satisfaction DESPITE, or in spite of, your parents.

Hang in there, lovely. You are gorgeous just the way you are. :flowerforyou:

P.S. Don't let your Dad's mistakes let you expect less of men in general. When you're looking for a guy to date / love...find one that does NOT act like your Dad. I went through some duds when I was young, but I finally found (and married) a guy who is 100% supportive of me, and loves me unconditionally. Thank goodness my kids will have that kind of Dad, and thank goodness I have what I never had at home.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I have always tried to be good enough for my dad but its never going to happen. He was the start athlete when he was in high-school and even though he is old and overweight now he still acts like he can pass judgment. I hear him call girls chubby when I would die to look like them if he thinks there chubby what does he think of me?

Just now I was complaining about my flat feet and he said 'well that must be why you are slow'. I'm so tired of this and I just don't know what to do.

23 pounds down and I'm still not good enough.

Are you good enough for you?
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Totally get how this feels... don't get me wrong, my Dad is a wonderful person who is always there for me in every way - except when it comes to accepting my physical appearance.

I have heard all of my life that I am chubby and, basically, lazy. So guess what happened? I gave up trying to be anything other than chubby and lazy. (The thing is, I remember him saying this to me when I was 12 years old... 4'9" and about 85 pounds, smaller than my son now, and he is far from chubby.)

I decided I want to lose at least 25 pounds... and made the mistake of telling him (because I told everyone else that matters to me, too). When I hit 15 lbs lost, everyone was happy for me, including me - but my Dad says "good job - now how about another 15?" Why? What is so hard about just saying "Good job" and leaving it at that?

I am now down 20 lbs (17 since joining MFP), and am able to wear some different tops and such that I wouldn't have felt comfortable in before. I was wearing one that I've had for a while the other day and my Mom complimented me on it and asked if it was new - I said no, I just didn't really like how it looked on me before. My Dad pipes up "Good thing you didn't stretch it all out then!" Again, why? What does he think that adds to the conversation? I get that I was heavier than I should be before - that's why I'm working so hard to do something about it....

Bottom line, OP - I don't know why people, especially parents, feel the need to do this - to make comments that are unnecessary and certainly not helpful... it sucks that they do it.

I tell myself the same thing I will tell you - smile, nod, and don't listen... listen to the people who KNOW how to give a compliment, and keep those words close to your heart, instead.

Good luck and great work :)
  • elissamac
    Options
    I understand how you feel. When I was young and skinny my dad would always tell me if I would just lose 10 more pounds I would be so much prettier. I was down to 130 pounds at 5'10" and he was still telling me this. I always wonder what he thinks of me now. I was almost 350pounds. I am now down 23 ponds. We do not have a very good relationship anymore. I try to be around him for my kids and things but i always leave feeling like I am not good enough. YOU ARE GOOD ENOUGH!!! You have to believe that. I know that it is hard when it is your father. I know that I am good enough for me. I hope that you can feel that way about yourself. You are beautiful.
  • ARyding17
    ARyding17 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    To all the people on here who are older than me and have gone through things that I am going through, you guys are all so strong. You guys are all giving me hope that I can go through this and get through this.

It will be an ongoing battle but I know that things will get better, just gotta stick through it for the next few years. I hate the fact that I want to cut him out of my life but if he makes me feel like this than maybe it is for the better.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    hate the fact that I want to cut him out of my life but if he makes me feel like this than maybe it is for the better.

Well, I wouldn't do to that extreme without talking to him first and TELLING him what he's doing to upset you. THen if the behavior doesn't change you can tell him you don't want any more contact until he can be civil. I would be sure to leave that option open to him.

My dad was just like yours and I never bothered to talk to him and tell him what he was doing was hurtful(to be honest at the time I didn't think he'd care). He died when I was 20 and I never got to tell him. Do I know he loved, yes. I think he loved me more than just about anything and I think that he did his very best to be a good dad. I also think that he thinks he did a great job because he did better than HIS dad.

Just sayin' don't burn any bridges without giving him lots of options to change his behavior.
  • ashleyconstantine
    ashleyconstantine Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My mom is the same way. She thinks a size 10 is fat.
    I'm no where near a size 10... she always used to try to put me on a diet when I was a kid.
    It's aggravating.
    I feel your pain.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine that sort of "input" from your dad. I am so sorry you have to deal with it. Try hard to focus on pleasing yourself. Look for friends that will encourage instead of tear you down.

denise
    I have always tried to be good enough for my dad but its never going to happen. He was the start athlete when he was in high-school and even though he is old and overweight now he still acts like he can pass judgment. I hear him call girls chubby when I would die to look like them if he thinks there chubby what does he think of me?

Just now I was complaining about my flat feet and he said 'well that must be why you are slow'. I'm so tired of this and I just don't know what to do.

23 pounds down and I'm still not good enough.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    My dad treated me the same way. My eating disorder stemmed from the fact that to him, women had to be thin to be perfect. I had to get straight As and everything. I actually quit talking to him for the better part of 5 years. We just reconnected about a year and a half ago and we have a great relationship now, but he had to go through some life experiences to get to the point where he could accept me for who I am.

And it is in no way your fault, it is issues your dad has. Your options are to get out as soon as possible or to confront him about it. Maybe suggest counseling together. It is tough, but hopefully he can get past his judgements.
  • jillebean60
    jillebean60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    To all the people on here who are older than me and have gone through things that I am going through, you guys are all so strong. You guys are all giving me hope that I can go through this and get through this.

It will be an ongoing battle but I know that things will get better, just gotta stick through it for the next few years. I hate the fact that I want to cut him out of my life but if he makes me feel like this than maybe it is for the better.

You are certainly not weak for wanting your Fathers' approval.... that's a normal desire and expectation. I've had 2 males in my life that were hard on me with their comments and in the end the only success I had was once I realized my true self worth, began the processing of self acceptance/self love and chose to focus on only the things I like/love about these relatives. We all have faults and some of his is that he lacks sensitivity and doesn't know the right way to support even his own child. Do whatever you can to love you for just being the unique person you were born to be. There's only 1 you and YOU are special!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

It's not a matter of age. It's a matter of choice. The sooner you come to the understanding that you own your thoughts, feelings and actions, the sooner you will feel more confident in who you are, rather than who others think you are.

When you own you and love you for you, it's really easy to love others for who they are even if they've hurt us. In other words, you can interact and love your dad for who he is and love yourself for who you are. The two can and need to be mutually exclusive if you want to break free from this cycle.
  • Flavia24
    Flavia24 Posts: 12
    Options
    Honestly girl, you cannot let that get to you. Clearly he's frustrated about his own issues, and that shouldn't mean that you have to torture yourself. If YOU are happy with yourself and are happy with the goals you are working with, then that is all that matters. CLEARLY you are taking charge of your fitness, and clearly you are already a great and beautiful person. Confidence is key, don't let things like that knock you down...I bet you that he doesn't even realize he's hurting you.

This happens to me a lot, my much older relatives, and even my dad, will not see me for awhile then comment on my weight. I go there for lunch sometimes, and despite them cooking fried foods and being forceful about doubling my portions, they comment on my weight. So I say: I am 22, I am able to decide how much I want to eat. Don't let it get to you, it's their loss they don't see who you really are past their judgements.