Ketosis diet

Options
Anyone on the ketosis diet? I don't think I'm willing to try this one out. Any success stories from those of you on this type of diet?

Replies

• jheye
    jheye Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you are referring to a low carb diet, the yes- I'm eating low carb and having good results lost 15 lbs this summer. I started with really low carbs, like Atkins induction. As I've been increasing my exercise, I've added in a little more carbs, especially after exercising, but I'm still low enough to be in ketosis. I find it much easier to follow a low carb plan than a low fat plan, but those with different food preferences may not be as happy with the low carb approach.
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    It's wonderful. I've lost 28 pounds in 8 weeks, I sleep better, my TOM is better, I've had 1 fibro flare up in 8 weeks(down from 3 a week) only 1 migraine in 8 weeks(down by 50-75%) I'm not sleepy all the time, my skin is better, I have NO more food cravings...this way of eating facilitates better eating all by it's self. It's the only thing I've been sucessful at sticking with. ........the bad breath isnt great...lol.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I've done both low carb which puts you in ketosis and also very low calorie diets like Cambridge. I find I have very good weigh losses on both but I find them hard to maintain and don't feel healthy on them. On the Cambridge diet I lost 3 stone in 9 weeks but it was extremely hard.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I've been pretty close to it for a few months now ... feel great, losing fat, no hunger.

I say pretty close as I don't pee on sticks or anything, I just keep the carbs below 50g (my choice, your optimum will vary), which by all accounts is enough to do the trick for most.

There is a school of thought that says the fringes of ketosis is the way to be, this way the body can react better to any carbohydrate coming its way. But there are schools of thought for every weird nutritional idea ;)

The results talk better than the theory for me and I'm happy :)

There is a low carb group here should you wish to learn a bit more without getting shot down without the usual responses ("You need carbs for energy!", "It'll kill your liver", "It's just a low calorie diet in disguise", "Ketosis is dangerous", "It's all water weight", etc, etc, ad nauseum):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/411-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group-
  • rusialeelee
    Options
    wow you're BF % goal is 10...? Is there a medical reason for that?.... The lowest a woman should go is 18%.....wow
  • rusialeelee
    Options
    wow you're BF % goal is 10...? Is there a medical reason for that?.... The lowest a woman should go is 18%.....wow

my bad I confused it with BMI.. omg I was so worried especially because you have children..

continue on :D!
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Actually the lowest for a woman is 10% anything lower is unhealthy.
  • jawheb
    Options
    My trainer wants me to try this diet, I just don't feel comfortable about adding all the fat. He's not even willing to try it himself. I just wanted to see if anyone was trying it out and with great results. Thanks everybody!
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My trainer wants me to try this diet, I just don't feel comfortable about adding all the fat. He's not even willing to try it himself. I just wanted to see if anyone was trying it out and with great results. Thanks everybody!

If he's not willing to try it himself it's probably not a great sign.
  • jawheb
    Options
    Right!! Lol!! I did read the articles he sent me, it's interesting for sure. I'm not much into fad diets, or any diet for that matter. Diets don't work. It's a lifestyle change, nuff said!
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    ^there are a lot of people out there who make low carb their lifestyle; usually they're paleo or primal.

fat won't make you fat as people have already stated on here. i've eaten lots of it and am still losing weight (that natural kinds found in meats and dairy and olive oil, none o' that fake vegetable or soybean oil). your body needs fat to function--your brain, cells, skin, hair, nails, etc. i don't know what caused people to become so freakin' afraid of fat but it's not bad at all.
  • jawheb
    Options
    ^there are a lot of people out there who make low carb their lifestyle; usually they're paleo or primal.

fat won't make you fat as people have already stated on here. i've eaten lots of it and am still losing weight (that natural kinds found in meats and dairy and olive oil, none o' that fake vegetable or soybean oil). your body needs fat to function--your brain, cells, skin, hair, nails, etc. i don't know what caused people to become so freakin' afraid of fat but it's not bad at all.
    Yeah, I'm a nutrition junkie. I eat fat! I just stay away from saturated fats. I opt for poly and mono unsaturated fats.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    me.
    in the past i've lost 40 pounds, then it creeped back on after i lost my job.
    doing it again now ;D
  • jawheb
    Options
    me.
    doing it again now ;D
    Did you gain a lot of muscle mass?
  • caraiselite
    Options
    Right!! Lol!! I did read the articles he sent me, it's interesting for sure. I'm not much into fad diets, or any diet for that matter. Diets don't work. It's a lifestyle change, nuff said!

well its a good thing that it isn't a fad diet then!
  • Tnessshep
    Tnessshep Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did it and would NOT do it again... the weight came off but it was impossible for me to keep it up and I gained it all back after a year... even tho I always have eaten sensible. It's great if you want to loose for a special occasion but not great for long term - in my opinion :)
  • BriaMc
    BriaMc Posts: 177 Member
    Options

Thats the reason i haven't done it, i just don't like adding mass quantities of fats. I did low carb for two weeks and got great results, but wasn't happy with it. So i upped to about 100-150g day and feel good there!
  • caraiselite
    Options
    me.
    doing it again now ;D
    Did you gain a lot of muscle mass?

i did it all by dieting, i didn't exercise at all.
  • caraiselite
    Options
    I did it and would NOT do it again... the weight came off but it was impossible for me to keep it up and I gained it all back after a year... even tho I always have eaten sensible. It's great if you want to loose for a special occasion but not great for long term - in my opinion :)

well, after you lose the weight, you add in carbs again. most people go up to 100 grams a day, and do maintenance from there.
  • jawheb
    Options
    Whoa! I can't lose anymore weight! I'm trying to gain muscle weight and it's Sooo hard.