Ketosis diet

Options

Replies

• jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    me.
    in the past i've lost 40 pounds, then it creeped back on after i lost my job.
    doing it again now ;D
    Did you gain a lot of muscle mass?

i did it all by dieting, i didn't exercise at all.
    Oh ok. I have to workout. I would die if I couldn't :)
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    ^there are a lot of people out there who make low carb their lifestyle; usually they're paleo or primal.

fat won't make you fat as people have already stated on here. i've eaten lots of it and am still losing weight (that natural kinds found in meats and dairy and olive oil, none o' that fake vegetable or soybean oil). your body needs fat to function--your brain, cells, skin, hair, nails, etc. i don't know what caused people to become so freakin' afraid of fat but it's not bad at all.
    Yeah, I'm a nutrition junkie. I eat fat! I just stay away from saturated fats. I opt for poly and mono unsaturated fats.

it's the trans fats that are bad not necessarily the saturated fats. here's a great site talking about saturated fats and trans fats. it's long so whenever you have the time, it's a good and educational read.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller38.1.html
  • jawheb
    Options
    Cartrat/ yeah I'll take a look at it. Much appreciated. I do eat saturated fats I just make sure I don't go over my limit for the week.
  • jawheb
    Options
    ^there are a lot of people out there who make low carb their lifestyle; usually they're paleo or primal.

fat won't make you fat as people have already stated on here. i've eaten lots of it and am still losing weight (that natural kinds found in meats and dairy and olive oil, none o' that fake vegetable or soybean oil). your body needs fat to function--your brain, cells, skin, hair, nails, etc. i don't know what caused people to become so freakin' afraid of fat but it's not bad at all.
    Yeah, I'm a nutrition junkie. I eat fat! I just stay away from saturated fats. I opt for poly and mono unsaturated fats.
    Wow! That's so not what I expected. Fascinating read! I highly recommend this article.

it's the trans fats that are bad not necessarily the saturated fats. here's a great site talking about saturated fats and trans fats. it's long so whenever you have the time, it's a good and educational read.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller38.1.html
  • jawheb
    Options
    Just sent the article to my trainer :)
    Let's see what he thinks about that
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I did it and would NOT do it again... the weight came off but it was impossible for me to keep it up and I gained it all back after a year... even tho I always have eaten sensible. It's great if you want to loose for a special occasion but not great for long term - in my opinion :)
    Whoa! I can't lose anymore weight! I'm trying to gain muscle weight and it's Sooo hard.

if you're trying to gain muscle and I assume your trainer knows this as well, why would they recommend a keto diet for hypertrophy? I'd get a new trainer if that's the case
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Is your trainer also a certified nutritionist? Some are but it's an extra certification on top of personal training. Becoming a personal trainer does not make you an expert on nutrition. You shouldn't take nutritional advice from someone who's not qualified to give it.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Whoa! I can't lose anymore weight! I'm trying to gain muscle weight and it's Sooo hard.

Low carb is terrible for muscle growth. You need carbs to build muscle. You can maintain muscle quite well on low carb, but growing it will probably not happen.
  • jawheb
    Options

Low carb is terrible for muscle growth. You need carbs to build muscle. You can maintain muscle quite well on low carb, but growing it will probably not happen.
    My diet consists of mainly carbs.
  • jawheb
    Options
    Is your trainer also a certified nutritionist? Some are but it's an extra certification on top of personal training. Becoming a personal trainer does not make you an expert on nutrition. You shouldn't take nutritional advice from someone who's not qualified to give it.
    Yes, certified in both. He's also one of my best friends.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I did it and would NOT do it again... the weight came off but it was impossible for me to keep it up and I gained it all back after a year... even tho I always have eaten sensible. It's great if you want to loose for a special occasion but not great for long term - in my opinion :)

if you're trying to gain muscle and I assume your trainer knows this as well, why would they recommend a keto diet for hypertrophy? I'd get a new trainer if that's the case

THIS!
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options

My diet consists of mainly carbs.

Instead of low carb why don't you just do higher protein?

Also, you most likely need to eat in a caloric surplus if you're trying to build muscle.
  • ricky_j_b
    ricky_j_b Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    In Canada we have Dr. Bernsteins,I lost 40lbs in just over 8 weeks,medically approved up here,it works,period.But you have to stay on the diet,if you waver it will stall the loss.I would recommend to anyone serious about cutting fat!!
  • jawheb
    Options
    Heidihomom/ I eat a lot!! My diary is public. I eat between 2500-2800 calories a day depending on workouts.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Keto diet absolutely works. However, I don't understand why you would want to do this to build muscle since it's my understanding you need high carbs to build muscle.

Keto diet is great for losing fat since your body generates fat burning ketones to burn your fat storage for energy.
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options
    Are you eating 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight?

Have you checked out bodybuilding.com? You could look there for some tips on adding muscle mass.
  • VenomousDuck
    Options
    I eat low carb/high fat and am training for a triathlon. I gain muscle easily eating this way.

60% of my calories are from fat.

Plus my total cholesterol has dropped.

I have found that my diet is very healthy and very sustainable for long term use. My blood work is incredible.

I just had a heart stress test and am super healthy there too.

Fat isn't a bad thing. I was a type 2 diabetic and by reducing carbs I have eliminated that.

For me, I really don't need to eat carbs to function, build muscle, or improve my performance.

As with anything, your results may vary. Works for me, maybe not for you.
  • 40lbsdown
    Options
    I've been on the JumpstartMD diet (no carbs, no sugar - only fruits and vegetables) for 4 months and have lost 40 lbs. It's the only diet that has worked and that I could stick to. It's become a lifestyle with a whole new way of eating. It is also very low calorie, but the protein keeps me satisfied. No more afternoon crashes - I feel even all day. 10 more lbs to go, then I'll introduce a few whole grain carbs. Also, once I step up the exercise, I will be eating more....We'll see how it goes, but so far, I'm very happy!
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've been ketostix-tested in ketosis since May 29. The first two weeks stunk as I was craving everything, but since then I've been having more energy, eating less, and feeling no hunger in times of boredom. I've lost 33 pounds since then, too.

Plan is to GRADUALLY up my carb intake when I get to my goal to include fruits and more dairy. It's taught me how to really listen to what my body needs and it's helped me greatly slash my processed food intake.
    My trainer wants me to try this diet, I just don't feel comfortable about adding all the fat. He's not even willing to try it himself. I just wanted to see if anyone was trying it out and with great results. Thanks everybody!

Keto is best if you're looking to change your diet permanently. If you get off keto and go back to your pre-carb intake, you'll just gain it all back. From what I hear (which could be broscience for all I know) it also takes a few weeks for your body to truly adapt to very low carb, so it would at least require you to be in ketosis (no cheating) for the first two months. Like I said, I don't have sources for this.

And if you're building muscle or doing VERY strenuous activity, of course your body needs carbs, so it's not for everyone.
  • VenomousDuck
    Options
    Keto diet absolutely works. However, I don't understand why you would want to do this to build muscle since it's my understanding you need high carbs to build muscle.

Keto diet is great for losing fat since your body generates fat burning ketones to burn your fat storage for energy.
    your body breaks down stored fat into ketone bodies to burn. It is not efficient and yields about 7 calories per gram of fat instead of 9 calories per gram of fat broken down with the aid of insulin.