How to overcome the embarassment of working out in public?

Options
WTBSE
WTBSE Posts: 72 Member
Hi guys.
I am just wondering if any of you have felt embarassment when working out outside, whether running or anything else?
if so, what have you done to overcome it? Is it just a case of ignoring other peoples looks (because, lets face it, people do look for a variety of reasons)?

I am starting the C25K and am worried aboutdoing in in public.

Replies

• snoppdog69
    Options
    I'd be interested in this too.

I cannot even run to catch a bus without looking like i'm dying but want to start the C25k.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    II would be more embarassed sitting at home unfit than out exercising(regardless of the level/stage I am at)

Don;t worry, everyone i see out exercising, regardless speed, fitness level etc, I always think " fair play to you out getting exercise"

Just go for it
  • Minnoke
    Minnoke Posts: 26
    Options
    I've been running for a bout a year and a half now and I remember being really insecure about it when I first took it up. I could only run about 1 minute at a time and even then I would be DYING. I hated knowing people who were walking along the same paths as me would know I was so unfit but then I just had to make myself think "**** it. The more I do it the better I'll get and I'm not going to let what others MIGHT think of me get in the way of what I want." and now I've no problem at all. I doubt most people would even care or notice you anyway. Its probably all in our heads.
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I found it more intimidating at the gym, surrounded by so many very fit people, than actually going out for a run.

When I started to exercise I did one thing before every time I worked out, went for a run, squeezed into my jammers for a swim or even just went for a long walk:

I reminded myself that nobody else mattered at all. Not one bit. Their glances, opinions, comments. All absolutely irrelevant.

It became a mantra which I still use when I'm feeling low or feeling fat and not just when I'm exercising.
  • misswager
    misswager Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Just remember everyone has to start somewhere! Even the 'fit' people in the Gym may not have always been that fit!
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I promise most people thing "good on ya"!!!!! Please just do it...don't let anyone else stop you or you let those narrow minded idiots win! YOU win instead!!!!!!!!!!! :0)
  • EllieMo
    EllieMo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Ignore people! I was worried about this too, but find that people just mind their own business; most probably admire you for getting out and doing some exercise and not sitting on your bum doing nothing.
  • SilverOnTheTree
    SilverOnTheTree Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    http://flintland.blogspot.ca/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

This link was posted in the "Motivation" forum (I think it's been doing the rounds by email as well). I'll try quoting it here - not sure it will work...
    Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.

- Flint
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could train at a gym because if you're running in a gym at least the employees aren't going to let someone call you names. You might even get fellow gym members motivating you and giving you ideas.
  • FearlessLissy13
    Options
    When you go our for a run and encounter some people, always think that THEY're the ones who are walking slowly and YOU are running and doing something for your body/health. In that moment, even if you're taking a break and walking, YOU are the stronger one, because you're acutally doing something.
    I bet a lot of people see you and think "Wow, I wish I weren't that lazy and would do something like that from time to time."

Don't let anyone hold you back from running, as I strongly support the motto 'running = therapy'
    Have fun! :)
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Fake it. Act like you 100% should be there and want to be there because you have something to accomplish. Even if you can't get yourself to fully feel this way, just starting will push you in the right direction. What you were first forcing yourself to feel becomes natural and evolves into genuine confidence.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    That is awesome...thanks for posting! I have just recently started the C25K program and I am sure that I look just as you describe...head down, trying not to look at anyone as if that makes me invisible. I am determined to do this and I won't let anyone stop me but your post just might make me raise my head up tomorrow. I'm almost 65 so I was sure people were saying...look at that crazy lady out there trying to run! Maybe they weren't!
  • freya33
    freya33 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am old and slow; I also have a fluoro pink top with black trousers with pink strip outfit! I did a beginners running course and they suggested fluoro as we were running in the Autumn evenings. It was pink or yellow and I never wear yellow. Hence no-one can miss me. I have just started a get fit campaign and like you thought what will people think. I then thought I have 2 choices not go out at all or go out and just go for it. I put headphones on and do a very slow walk jog routine and all runners smile at me; I feel part of a community. I tend to go early and around a nature reserve which is fairly quiet and slowly working up to a road circuit but it does have hills and I do not like hills!
    I sweat a lot, my hair is dripping, my face is pink but I am out running so GO FOR IT
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    don't worry about what other people think. because you know what they are properly thinking, wow good for them, I wish i could do that.

So go for it.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    sometimes i wish i didn;t get my eyes fixed then I couldn;t see ... still building up my confidence before attempting exercise outside ... but at least i feel i will get there soon now
  • TiffanyAching
    TiffanyAching Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    its a biggie. stopped me for years. i know lots of people assume its laziness that stops people exercising but i think i large part of it is this self concious embarrassment at how you'll look. have you someone that can go with you? i found that a massive help. i've done c25k, and at first i had to go at 6.30am so there was hardly anyone about. once you've been once or twice, you're past that worry. people dont look, they dont laugh, they don't point, they dont make comments etc. they either dont even notice you or they say morning. now i can run for half an hour, i still look like i may die but *I* know i wont.

before, i would just feel ashamed to be seen red faced and sweaty and avoid avoid! now i feel good about what i'm doing and the increased confidence is fab. the person seeing me walk home doesnt know i've just run 3 miles, they probably assume i've nearly killed myself walking up a slight incline or something but i no longer care because i know and my attitude to myself has changed. now we run of an evening quite often and see other people running, the superfit variety, they always smile and say hi. it's just getting over the first time and realising that a big spot light doesnt shine down on you and a voice announce 'look! fat girl running! who is she trying to kid! look!!!' if they think anything, they just think 'good for you'.
  • annchonglk
    Options
    All in my mind is to get healthy and lose weight. (I have a body like Michelin tyre doll). So I don't care what others think. when they stare at you, just smile back! :flowerforyou:
  • GrAlVt
    GrAlVt Posts: 42
    Options
    I've been losing weight since last Fall, been tracking since January, and started going to the gym weight room two months ago. One week ago, the regular weight room attendant actually complimented me on my dedication, for coming in 4 times a week to train for about an hour at a time. Pretty sure I made an incoherent 'thank you,' but it does help you see that the regular people will notice you, in a good way. As for the others who will only see you once, perhaps they will think ill of you, but they'll forget about you 10 seconds later and you will do the same to them.

"Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
  • welshwoofer
    welshwoofer Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm just at the end of C25K and know how you feel. But it does get better! When I started out I wore no makeup, a baseball cap and put my hair in a pony tail - nobody would probably recognise me anyway.
    I ran in the park to start with as far away from other people as I could. With the ipod on I pretended that they couldn't see me because I couldn't hear them!
    Now I run around the streets and did my first ever 30 min solid run yesterday.

To be honest, before I started trying I used to see people running when I was out with the dog and thought "good for them, at least they're making an effort!" I'm sure that's what other people think too.
    Do you have a dog you can take with you? It gives you something to focus on and might look like you were playing with the dog rather than "trying to run". I did this but I go too far for my little pooch now. You will too in a few weeks.

In fact, just this morning whilst walking the dog round the water park I saw a lady (who wasn't tiny) running then walking then running again with an ipod on - my first thought was I wonder which week she's on? Its a lot more common than you think!

Keep going - you'll get more confident and the running will get much easier - I promise!
  • potentwolf
    Options
    Everyone has posted great advice but to offer something different I suggest loud, noise-cancelling headphones. Get lost in your music and workout. Just be careful where you use them.