How to overcome the embarassment of working out in public?

Options

Replies

• sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I think you're kidding yourself if you think people are going to take notice of you working out. We're too self absorbed. We have too many things on our mind. Heck, most are too busy talking or texting on their phones to even notice.

And for those who do notice you, quite honestly they're wishing they had the guts to get out and do something for their health.

People of all fitness levels exercise outside. I've never met a discouraging runner or walker.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't think there's much for it except to just suck it up and become temporarily self involved. It's about you. Who are these other people to you that you give a flying crudscone? Nobody. Their opinion matters 0%.

Ever see any one looking just think "I give exactly 0 f*cks about what is going on in your head. 0"
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    II would be more embarassed sitting at home unfit than out exercising(regardless of the level/stage I am at)

Don;t worry, everyone i see out exercising, regardless speed, fitness level etc, I always think " fair play to you out getting exercise"

Just go for it

EXACTLY!!!!!!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I go out at 5am. In a few weeks, I've only seen someone else out there once or twice!
  • roughneckswife
    roughneckswife Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same fear, I stuck with the treadmill and elliptical because I wasn't sure about anything else. One day a VERY fit (totally hot) guy was running on the treadmill next to me, so I of course got off of mine and tried to do some weights...He then followed me over there and showed me what to and what I wanted to focus on first. I haven't been so stressed since!! He was super sweet to take time to show this fat chick what to do! lol
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    No way around it... Put on music turn it up loud and go for it.. People are rude and I used to worry about other people until I learned to turn my music up.. I have had people call me names out the window but so what... I live in a busy town and I can't stop others being *kitten* holes...
  • 118R3volution
    Options
    Honestly, no matter how out of shape someone is and I see them exercise I think to myself "good for you!". Just be confident, stick with it and take pride in what your are accomplishing. You don't need to worry about anyone because there is absolutely nothing embarrassing about exercise! =)
  • RealMattHopkins
    RealMattHopkins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi guys.
    I am just wondering if any of you have felt embarassment when working out outside, whether running or anything else?
    if so, what have you done to overcome it? Is it just a case of ignoring other peoples looks (because, lets face it, people do look for a variety of reasons)?

I am starting the C25K and am worried aboutdoing in in public.

Try going later on at night. I find there are lots of people there hiding out from the day time crowd.

The above was my immature answer...

Below is my mature answer...

You walk into that gym with your head held high. You walk yourself out there AND you work out til you're sweating buckets on the floor. AND... when you're taking your breaks, you totally stare at the hot people AND think naughty things with a creepy smile on your face. Then you get back to your workout AND you remember that if you keep going to that stupid gym AND you work through that embarassment, you will be just as hot as all those hotties you've been staring at! Badda boom, badda bing.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Keep your head up and run on.

I still get bouts of complete insecurity, especially when working out with/around pretty people, but I'll never be where they are if I let it hold me back.
  • Susiemet
    Susiemet Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There are more people that would cheer you on than tear you down. And those that would tear you down have their own insecurities. Just do your thing and forget about others.
  • blb1230
    blb1230 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!!! WOW!!!
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
  • Promqueen_74932
    Promqueen_74932 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you what a gym fanatic told me. People (men and women) are at the gym to work out. They're not there to judge. Everyone is there for the same reasons, getting in shape, improving their bodies, endurace, level of fitness... overall health. The number one question I had to ask myself was: Why the hell do I care what others think?!? I'm here for me!

So if you can remember that people aren't there to look at you (you're not under the spotlight), if they do notice you their opinion doesn't matter YOURS does and smile the WHOLE time your working out. For some weird reason it makes you happy about what you're doing. You're giving your body what it needs. Health! Why does it matter what it looks like now? It's going to look and feel AMAZING after!
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    you know, I really dislike running, yet I am more motivated/inspired by those much more out of shape than me, than the marathon runner speeding past me.
  • naples89
    naples89 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I guarantee you no one cares if you are fat and working out (if they think anything at all it will be positive because you are improving yourself). Its in your head.
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    love your self more and you want care what others think.. When you are sick and down will the same one you are shame to work out in front of be there to help you..

And let them see you ...you never know who you are uplifting to get off the couch and start to work out..

Put you music on and ZONE out and focus then no one else will either matter.
  • shierrarobin
    Options
    I never really overcame any of my fear. But my fear came from a bunch of itty bitty skinny girls laughing at me while I was on the elliptical. I was pretty big compared to them, so I lost my confidence.

I did, however, find that I could put in earphones and listen to my music. Then I couldn't hear the snooty girls laughing at me. I also would pick a spot on the wall and stare at it. That way, if people were looking at me, I wouldn't notice. People are going to say what they want and do what they want, but that doesn't mean you have to pay them any mind. :tongue:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Just get out there and do it!
    The first day I did C25K outside, I felt like everyone would be watching me too but they weren't. I felt a little awkward but it worked out and veryone I encountered was friendly and some were even supportive!
    I kept telling myself that I was doing it for ME, no one else, and that I didn't care what they thought. I've been fine ever since I went out on that first day. I still tell myself that now when I venture out on my bike with my hot pink helmet, side mirror, basket, etc. haha.
    You can do it! Just remember it's for YOU. How does that saying go? Any moment you're moving, you're not sitting on the couch? (like most everyone else) Something like that. lol
    Good luck!
  • WTBSE
    WTBSE Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Aww, you guys are so helpful!

Thanks so much for all the advice, i have truly taken it on board, and will be putting my iPod on and running around the local lake not caring what ANYONE thinks!
  • skinnygurl02
    skinnygurl02 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I took my daughter with me a few times to keep my mind off the people watching. Maybe you could find a running partner. I am in to the c25k for about 5-6 weeks now and feel much more confident...don't let anyone stop you from being fit n happy:)