How to overcome the embarassment of working out in public?

Options

Replies

• Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I did not read through the responses so I will speak to this on a personal level.
    When I started walking and running, I was so uncomfortable...... I was all red faced and hot and sweaty.. and I always looked like I would fall over if I stopped.

There were two teenage girls that would sit on a porch towards the end of my five mile walk and laugh when I walked by. I always thought they were laughing at me (who knows)
    Now at almost 40 lbs lighter, when I walk or run by now, they smile at me!!!!!!!

JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!
  • ginaquinn2
    ginaquinn2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I too felt very awkward and embarrassed. I know people were looking at me.
    It was is pretty hard to deal with for a while. I read something that made a lot of sense to me.
    People WERE looking at me. But they are not looking at me to make fun of me. They are looking
    and saying to themselves yay good job I wish I was doing this too. I am proud of getting out there
    and getting it done. So now when I'm out there walking or running I think of the people going by as
    my personal cheerleaders. I just picture them driving by saying Yeah, good for you you go girl!
    Try this, try to picture this for yourself and see if it doesn't help. I'm proud of you. You are doing it.
    Hugs, :flowerforyou: Gina
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    No one is looking at you.

It's true! Sure cars may pass by and people glance at you but they're not staring and most definitely not pointing and laughing. Well, unless you're flailing your arms around and making goofy faces then they actually might point and laugh but aside from that no one really cares that you're outside doing your thing.

No one knows your fitness level and when you're out there running, walking, biking what ever no one knows if you've been out there for five minutes or an hour. The important thing is that you want to get out there and do it. Throw in some ear buds, listen to music and zone out.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Honestly? The best thing you can do is realize no one else cares. You think the world is watching you and judging you, but really, as long as you're not in our way, we don't care.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    ^^^BIngo

No one really cares. I put my headphones in and go.

I work out in the parking lot at the gym. The lines in the back of the lot are perfect for shuttles, sprints, etc... I know some other might think it's wierd, but all I do is put my headphones in and get after it.
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i saw a larger gentleman running the other day and I thought to myself........WOW, good for him! He is out there doing something about it! And the saying came to mind...."he is lapping everyone else on the couch".
    If people give looks/say things that aren't nice, they aren't someone whose opinion matters much anyway! Do it for you! Don't worry what anyone is thinking! GO FOR IT!!!!!!!
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I started lifting at home for the first few weeks. I wasn't using the right equipment, but it was enough to get me started and feeling like less of a complete idiot when I hit the barbells in the gym for the first few times. Every time I went back, I was a little less uncomfortable.

These days (around 4 months in), I actually look forward to it. I'm still the fat guy in the gym, but I'm also lifting more weight (and with better form) than most of the people I see there, which pretty much eliminates the embarassment factor.
  • bberg0521
    bberg0521 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I thought this too. But I figure, you will never see these people again so go ahead and work out outdoors. I was like this in the gym too but like a coworker said they are busy doing their own thing to sit and watch you work out.

And when I see people outside working out/running/walking I think good for them to get out and do something.
  • CupcakeHarpy
    CupcakeHarpy Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what others think. When I see someone running I usually HATE them because they are more fit than me. I used to avoid the gym because I am shy. Eventually I got over it because I'm not the center of the universe and everyone there is concentrating on their own workout. So get out there. I look forward to hating you soon :smile:
  • jmfraggis
    Options
    The people who love me only care that I am getting fit. I could care less what anyone else thinks...if it makes someone feel better to put me down because I am getting healthy, that is the problem of the other person - not me. I want to be able to run around with my grandkids when they show up (someday in the distant future I hope since my kids are still teens, lol.)
  • shaahboogie
    Options
    baby get out there abd run like the wind!!! dont worry about what others think. i used to worry about people looking at me at the gym on the treadmill. but i thought hey we are all here to work out. i dont know what they looked like before they got in shape and who are they to judge me. get yourself a great pair of headphones and some kick azz music and walk or run and workout like you are the only person in the room. THEY dont matter, the only person that DOES matter is YOU!!!
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    "No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch!!"

I started running a few weeks ago too, and if people want to look while they're driving by, so be it!! I just think to myself....when was the last time
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    OOOPS....when was the last time THEY got out and ran????

You are doing it for you! And to be honest, when I see people out for a run, walk or bike ride, I think 'Good on ya!!'. I'll bet everyone is secretly cheering you on and not criticizing....:):):)
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    II would be more embarassed sitting at home unfit than out exercising(regardless of the level/stage I am at)

Don;t worry, everyone i see out exercising, regardless speed, fitness level etc, I always think " fair play to you out getting exercise"

Just go for it

Me too ! When I see someone out jogging etc. I give them credit for doing it and think, "See? If they can do it, you can too!" I often wish them good thoughts too! :)
  • wxchaser
    wxchaser Posts: 178
    Options
    Hi guys.
    I am just wondering if any of you have felt embarassment when working out outside, whether running or anything else?
    if so, what have you done to overcome it? Is it just a case of ignoring other peoples looks (because, lets face it, people do look for a variety of reasons)?

I am starting the C25K and am worried aboutdoing in in public.

I started at the gym for the simple fact that it's been too damn HOT outside to run. (I don't wanna kill myself.) That's helped me build up a lot of confidence so when I do start running outside, I can let it all out and have fun instead of worry about what people are going to think.
  • Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    Options
    When people stare, they are probably just jealous that they don't have the motivation that you do to get out there and exercise! :)
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    http://flintland.blogspot.ca/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

This link was posted in the "Motivation" forum (I think it's been doing the rounds by email as well). I'll try quoting it here - not sure it will work...
    Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.

- Flint

^^^ If this doesn't get you out there, I don't know what will.
  • scandiebirdie
    scandiebirdie Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note: This thread made me go straight out and finally do it: Join my local gym. I was trying to achieve my goals with hours and hours of walking my dog (she now hides when she hears the lead being taken off the hook - lol) and running and cycling, but it never really got to be "enough". SO I went, had the induciton, signed up for a year. I H A T E the first couple of times at the gym. You're self conscious, unfit, trying to work out the machines and your way around (Where by the way was the stretching and cool down area??? Ended up having to stretch in front of large picture window overlooking the pool--- which was very busy...) But true to my own advice, I thought "Sod them". Did it, got on with it and now have the slightly stiff and achy muscles to show for it - and LOVE it!!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    There was a guy who was watching me for a bit and I did my best to ignore him... I was using the bicep-curl machine (PF), I have worked up enough to curl 55# so far and Im pretty proud that Im doing this with the personal trainer right there. And the guy .. ugh, he just kept watching...

I got fed up with it to be honest... I walked over and I just simply let it out "what the F****** HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM - YOU MIND CONCENTRATING ON YOUR OWN WORKOUT PLEASE? "

The guy (early 20's) thought he was gonna laugh it off ... and he choked on his own words while his buddy blurted out "what's wrong dude, is she curling more than you?"...

On the side of the bench was 30lb'ers. The guys in the area cracked up laughing....

Needless to say the guy walked away and into the men's locker room.

His buddy had apologized and told me his his friend unfortunately cant curl 50#'s yet... I told him he shouldnt apologize for his friend's issues and the guys shouldnt be laughing at him... as that is doubly wrong as well... but Ill be damned if Im going to be given a stare-down while I workout...

Bad enough Im old enough to be the guy's mother!...UGH!

Sorry, but I have just as much a right to be in the gym as any other person. I wont let anyone make me feel embarassed or ashamed...
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Started small and worked my way up to more public workouts, just doing it helped...just small doses and getting comfy that way....also go with a friend or craigslist for a running buddy near your level of fitness.

My friends and I sometimes just don't want to deal with people staring so we go in the "cardio theatre" at their gym, its totally dark and has all the machines set up facing the big screen playing movies so stuff like that is definitely an option