Don't eat these 5 foods???

Per a forum I listened to and read some of there information, "Trim Down Club". They promote loosing(I say releasing) fat naturally and healthy. There were five areas touched on. 1. margarine - causes hormonal imbalance
2. sugar (hidden) - muffins, gronola
3.whole wheat bread - stores fat, its a comfort food
4. pastas - turn into bad sugars
5. oj / fruit juices (concentrated) - juices have more sugars than the fruit itself
smoothie). they are better than just juices.

Let me know your thought? Yes or No...

Replies

• megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    I think that if you control your overall calories, you'll lose weight. Period. Doesn't matter what "kind" of calories they are.

That being said, you can get a lot more bang for your buck with some calories than others. Fruit juice, for example, does seem like a waste of a lot of calories to me since it doesn't have the fiber, fat or protein to help me stay fed and full. But that's likely because I'm just as happy drinking water. If I were a big-time juice fan, I'd disagree with me (LOL). I do, however, relish a few alcoholic beverages a couple of times a week, so I have to budget for them. Not much nutrition in a beer or a glass of wine, but I do so love it -- this is my life and I need to keep the things I love in there, just be smart about them.

My bottom line: keep an eye toward enjoyment AND nutrition while limiting your caloric intake and you'll get there. Avoiding any particular group of foods won't "liberate" the fat from your body on its own. Calorie restriction and exercise are your only friends where that's concerned.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • Personally, I'm more of the "everything in moderation" mindset. I've done some serious elimination diets in my time and seems like it always led to a food binge or rebound weight gain. Portion control works better for me than totally eliminating something from my diet. YMMV. That said, here's my thoughts on each particular food.

1. Margarine - I use either butter or Smart Balance Light with added flaxseed oil - try not to use too much of anything and I cook only with butter not the Smart Balance

2. Sugar (hidden) - totally agree - once you start reading labels it's crazy how much sugar is in everything

3. Whole wheat bread - not sure about it storing fat, but it is a comfort food (I'm a carb lover). I usually have 2 slices of whole wheat bread every day as part of my sandwich.

4. Pastas - this is more white refined flour, I avoid most pasta but occasionally use Barilla Plus Pasta (it has added protein from bean flour) Pasta is easily something I can overdo it on though so I make sure to measure my portions.

5. Fruit juices - agree totally on this one. I like fruit juice but have it very rarely and always diluted with water. Full of sugar without any of the fiber in the whole fruit
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    1. I prefer butter
    2. I eat this
    3. I eat this
    4. I eat this
    5. Is wine a fruit juice? - kidding

I aim to hit my macros while at a slight calorie deficit to reach my target weight. I have increased my daily fruit/vegetable intake, but I don't exclude any particular food - unless I just don't like it (looking at you lima beans).
  • xshortiex
    xshortiex Posts: 120 Member
    I think whole wheat bread is still better than white bread... but cutting down on carbs in general is a good way to kick-start weight loss.
  • DesireeDursteler
    DesireeDursteler Posts: 2 Member
    what about the Sara Lee de-light---it is wheat bread but on 45 calories per slice...i bought it the other day...haven't had a sandwich with it yet but looking forward to toast
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Bodies store fat. Bread does not.
  • TangledUp_InBlue
    TangledUp_InBlue Posts: 397 Member
    1. margarine - causes hormonal imbalance

Hmmm...I do feel my estrogen spike when I eat "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter".
  • FionaDFair
    FionaDFair Posts: 125 Member
    I do, however, relish a few alcoholic beverages a couple of times a week, so I have to budget for them. Not much nutrition in a beer or a glass of wine, but I do so love it -- this is my life and I need to keep the things I love in there, just be smart about them.

My bottom line: keep an eye toward enjoyment AND nutrition while limiting your caloric intake and you'll get there.

I very much agree! A good bottle of beer with my husband's homemade fish tacos is just delightful, but it usually means that I'll plan to have a lighter breakfast and lunch.

The sugar and fruit juice observations do seem spot on. I've been trying to cut down on my sugar intake in general, especially watching what foods have added sugars. I do like whole wheat bread, but I'll try to find lower calorie options that also have plenty of fiber so that I feel fuller. I'm not big on margarine or butter myself, but I'll use a spattering of olive oil when cooking some things. I don't pasta very often either, but I also try to measure those portions so I don't go overboard. I measure my cereal and milk in the morning too.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I enjoy all of those foods, and I am consistently losing weight and inches.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    1. margarine - causes hormonal imbalance

Hmmm...I do feel my estrogen spike when I eat "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter".

:laugh:
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,131 Member
    I think some of those are silly. I eat wheat bread and I am doing just fine.
  • I agree with you on all your foods. I dont think you should ever drink your fruit. I do my best to eat single ingredient foods, and try to stay away from processed foods. Myself, I feel better when I stay away from those things.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    No. Just eat at a calorie deficit if you're trying to lose and don't overthink it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    1. Yes/No - it depends on the margarine. Steer clear of those with trans fat
    2. Yes
    3. No (utter nonsense)
    4. Yes/No - it depends on the pasta and how it's cooked. Use whole grain pasta cooked al dente.
    5. Yes
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    People think sugar is "hidden" in muffins and granola? Really?
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    ok, so plain white sugar is fine? thanks.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Don't eat

1. poop
    2. rocks
    3. battery acid
    4. rubber
    5. beets (they're disgusting)

Otherwise, you'll be fine

Pfft. I eat poop on the rocks dipped in battery acid WITH a side of rubber. You're right about the beets though. That shizz is nasty.
    Aren't those the ingredients of meth?
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Don't eat

1. poop
    2. rocks
    3. battery acid
    4. rubber

Pfft. I eat poop on the rocks dipped in battery acid WITH a side of rubber. You're right about the beets though. That shizz is nasty.

You are going to DIE!!!! (eventually)
  • MissWana
    MissWana Posts: 11 Member
    Don't eat

1. poop
    2. rocks
    3. battery acid
    4. rubber

Aren't those the ingredients of meth?

This made my day

In terms of bread though does this include rye multi grain bread? That is one thing I am not willing to give up. EVER.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    lol