Don't eat these 5 foods???

Options

Replies

• BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    hiLARious thread! thanx for the chuckles!

i also liked several replies, including Megleo818 thoughts on the 5 foods we shouldn't eat. The link for THAT video keeps coming at me a few times a day on FMP, so i finally went to see, what ARE these 5 foods? but, i could not slog through all the blah blah blah in the video, zoned out before i ever found out why we can't eat five foods.

..........still, THIS is one very funny thread! rofl!
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Don't eat

1. poop
    2. rocks
    3. battery acid
    4. rubber
    5. beets (they're disgusting)

Otherwise, you'll be fine

Best post ever!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    yep all 5 should be banned from your diet...its really hard, especially the sugar, the whoe wheat bread, pasta , and OJ, I dont eat anyways.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    People think sugar is "hidden" in muffins and granola? Really?

Sugar also "hides" in donuts, cake, Dr Pepper, and Pop-Tarts.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    People think sugar is "hidden" in muffins and granola? Really?

Sugar also "hides" in donuts, cake, Dr Pepper, and Pop-Tarts.

Pesky sugar!
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I just count calories and stay in a deficit and workout. This has worked well for me and I eat whole wheat bread every day and I use margarine in moderation. Muffins and granola often have lots of calories so I tend to stay away but have had them in moderation. I also have ice cream and chocolate syrup but I make up for it on other meals and/or exercise. I agree with many about not over complicating this or eliminating foods.
  • akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'll never understand the 'hidden' sugar aspect. You can't eat something and then say 30 minutes later, ba-dang! Hidden sugar surprise attacks you for an extra 20g!

Watch what you eat, if your serious about it, you can eat the mystical 'hidden' sugar, and lose weight.

Like saying a Big Mac has hidden fat in it. *boggles*
  • run4life17
    run4life17 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi 1Torch,

1. You are absolutely correct. Sugar is the enemy of weight loss and the #1 food to avoid. However, the great thing is, it's totally fine to eat when found naturally in fruits and vegetables because the fiber slows it's release and therefore doesn't cause a major spike in blood sugar. FRUIT WILL NOT MAKE YOU GAIN WEIGHT!! It's nature's candy. Enjoy it.

2. Flour is another enemy. However, you don't have to give up bread at all!! Instead, there are a wide variety of SPROUTED grain breads that are delicious and very good for you as they contain live active enzymes.

3. You don't have to deprive yourself of anything, it's just important to learn how to seek out delicious, healthy, alternatives.

4. BEST OF LUCK to you!!!!
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I saw this same info on the "beyond diet" website and books. I'm totally not recommending the website unless you like spam email. BUT, I've been basically doing these 5 things and have lost a lot of weight. There's absolutely no reason not to remove added sugars from your diet, if you do nothing else.

A lot of people will disagree - saying that a calorie is a calorie and the kind of food it comes from doesn't matter - and that's entirely true if you're building an ethanol distillery, but human bodies are incredibly complex and different people react differently to different sorts of foods. So, I say try the 5 rules and see for yourself. Then you'll know for sure.
  • doogie52
    doogie52 Posts: 53
    Options
    You can have anything you want at Alice's restaurant..except Alice
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options

1. margarine - causes hormonal imbalance
    2. sugar (hidden) - muffins, gronola
    3.whole wheat bread - stores fat, its a comfort food
    4. pastas - turn into bad sugars
    5. oj / fruit juices (concentrated) - juices have more sugars than the fruit itself . smoothie). they are better than just juices.

1) I've found this just unnecessary for most things I eat. If I use anything, it's soy butter, and that's really only so I can save my 'dairy' servings for milk, cheese and yogurt. Also, I simply can't imagine enjoying margarine. :-P

2) It's always good to be aware of where your sugars are coming from. Again, I find muffins and granola to be largely superfluous- they don't really fill me in equal portion to their calorie count. But if you can find room for them and enjoy.

3) Um yes. I eat bread. Cuz bread's delicious.

4) See above only x2. Cuz pasta may be more delicious

5) Similar to the sugars- it's more about awareness. Fruit juices have a lot of calories and aren't filling.

Essentially, these are 5 foods for which you don't get a lot of "bang" for your calorie buck. So I certainly understand cutting down on them. If you like it and can find space for it- go for it! You can eat these and lose.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    1. You are absolutely correct. Sugar is the enemy of weight loss and the #1 food to avoid. However, the great thing is, it's totally fine to eat when found naturally in fruits and vegetables because the fiber slows it's release and therefore doesn't cause a major spike in blood sugar. FRUIT WILL NOT MAKE YOU GAIN WEIGHT!! It's nature's candy. Enjoy it.

that's absurd.
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Hi 1Torch,

2. Flour is another enemy. However, you don't have to give up bread at all!! Instead, there are a wide variety of SPROUTED grain breads that are delicious and very good for you as they contain live active enzymes.

3. You don't have to deprive yourself of anything, it's just important to learn how to seek out delicious, healthy, alternatives.

4. BEST OF LUCK to you!!!!

I have to agree - I've been doing this for 7 months now and I get much more enjoyment from the food I eat now than I ever did in the past. I eat a wide variety of very good food. A good cookbook that sort of follows this same advice is "Paleo Comfort Foods", one of my favorites.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I'll never understand the 'hidden' sugar aspect. You can't eat something and then say 30 minutes later, ba-dang! Hidden sugar surprise attacks you for an extra 20g!

Sugar, the ninja of the calorie world.

Just keep your calories under goal. Yes, high sugar foods (simple carbs) are not as good for you but you can lose all the weight you want just staying under your goal. If you just had a couple Snicker's bar for each meal you'd still lose weight.

Calories: 280, Fat: 14g, Carbs: 35g, Protein: 4g
    280 x 6 = 1680 calories.

Of course you might feel hungry in between meals but that's another story.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Per a forum I listened to and read some of there information, "Trim Down Club". They promote loosing(I say releasing) fat naturally and healthy. There were five areas touched on. 1. margarine - causes hormonal imbalance
    2. sugar (hidden) - muffins, gronola
    3.whole wheat bread - stores fat, its a comfort food
    4. pastas - turn into bad sugars
    5. oj / fruit juices (concentrated) - juices have more sugars than the fruit itself
    smoothie). they are better than just juices.

Let me know your thought? Yes or No...
    I can't drink juice and I don't like margarine or muffins, etc, but I put sugar in my teas, I eat bread and I eat wholewheat pasta and I'm losing weight unintentionally, in fact in the last week and a bit I have lost ten pounds not happy about it because I was trying to gain or at least maintain but, well I hope that answers your question anyways.
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I think it depends whether your goal is losing weight or eating healthier. Yes, you can continue to lose weight by managing your calories and therefore eating those things but they aren't necessarily the best option for you if you shooting for better health.

Here's what my nutritionist has told me about thes five foods:

1- Sugar = BAD (Cut white sugar out as much as possible. Sugar makes you fat. If you HAVE to eat sugar, use raw cane sugar or cocnut palm sugar but in moderation.)

2- Margarine = (Margarine is 1 molecule away from being plastic. It's been so processed that the "good fat" in butter has been taken out. You're better off with butter or even better, coconut oil.)

3- Whole wheat bread = Whole is better than white but still packed with sugar. Whole GRAIN uses the whole grain instead of processing it into flour. Even so, sourdough bread is better because of the lack of sugar. Watch the ingredients though. If there are too many or things you can't pronounce, stay away. Natural as possible is better.)

4- Pastas = Again, laden with sugar. Whole wheat is better than regular pasta, rice noodles even better than whole wheat, limited pasta, the best option. Try spaghetti squash instead. Apparently makes great pasta (haven't tried it myself).

5- OJ/Fruit juices = Wanna take a guess??? You got it! SUGAR!!! You're better off eating the fruit. Oh and keep the fruit for snack time and pair with a protein.

before I get slammed, please remember this is only what my nutritionist has told me and so far it's working FOR ME. I don't presume to know what's best for everyone else. :)

PS... I would replace beets with eggplant... that stuff will kill you. :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    i believe you can eat anything as long as your willing to workout and burn those extra calories off. Deprive yourself of things you enjoy is a major No when trying to lose weight.

Only if you have no willpower or not completely committed. Depriving oneself of brownies or potato chips is a GOOD thing, by no means is it a "no-no". But go ahead, keep eating and you either will not progress fully to your goals or what you do actually lose, will creep back on your body after a while.

It's not a good thing or a bad thing. Do what works for you. Eating chips and cookies is not going to make your weight come creeping back on, unless you are over eating. Cutting them out won't help you lose weight either, unless you are eating at a deficit.

Ditto to the last response. See that ticker down there? That was done all while still eating pretty much any food I wanted (pizza, chocolate, ice cream, etc) as long as it was within (or pretty close to) my calorie goals. Sure it's taken me 2.5 years to get this far but who cares? I'm happy and I'm sticking with it - as opposed to the multiple other times I attempted to lose weight and only lasted a few months. For many of us, deprivation is the reason we quit and put the weight back on. The choice is individual. Do what works for you!

As for the OP - I agree with one of the first replies. It's all about personal choice and your goals.
    1) margarine - we use butter but mostly because margarine, or anything with hydrogenated oil, is bad for my naturally high cholesterol levels. I rarely put it on anything anyway and mostly use olive oil when cooking.
    2) hidden sugar - true to a point, read your labels and pick the best choice. For instance, I prefer Chobani greek yogurt over other brands because they have more natural ingredients, more protein and less sugar (depends on flavor, etc)
    3) whole wheat - this is one of those weight loss controversies going around right now. Go to WebMD and they'll tell you that whole wheat will help with your belly fat. It's all about the research, how well it's actually being interpreted, etc. Bottom line is, if you're going to eat bread, go with whole grains because they're better for you.
    4) pasta - same as bread. Eat it but keep your portions under control and try to go with whole grain versions or try quinoa
    5) juice - I agree wtih this one but it's more like a quality of food thing for me. I'd rather eat a whole piece of fruit and get satisfaction from that than drink a glass of juice. Liquid calories don't work for me - again, personal choice.
  • JulieinMaine
    Options
    don't eat yellow snow
  • shaunaruiz
    shaunaruiz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not a nutrition expert but here are some better choices in case you're looking for Ideas.
    1. Margarine (butter and Olive oil)
    2. Sugar (agave nectar, natural beet sugar, honey)
    3. Whole Wheat Bread (Ezekiel or any other sprouted grain bread)
    4. Pasta (Whole grain, whole wheat, brown rice pasta) also, you could try making spaghetti with spaghetti squash
    5. Oj /Fruit juices (whole fruit)

*I personally LOVE my wheat bread and if I do eat Ezekiel I have to toast it because it's very dry
    Hope this is helpful
  • dirtydmvkid
    Options
    I think that if you control your overall calories, you'll lose weight. Period. Doesn't matter what "kind" of calories they are.
    Mmmm... I think this statement needs to be reworked...